JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is going to tick you guys off big time. This is a developing story and I know a lot more than I can publish at this time. I went out there, to try and get some photos and assist the LEO however I could. There were a couple elk taken legally by a landowner and another person, but this was a complete sh*t show from the start. I am simply boiling about this. Even several hours after the fact there were road hunters coming out there. Never gave me a second look as I sat at two different locations with 3 video cameras going for 2 hours getting every car, pick up and face that came by.

There should be some press releases coming out soon and I will post any links that show up so we can flood them with protests and demands for action.

Seven elk poached near Stringtown Road - Gales Creek Journal

IMG_0720-800x445.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wow. that sucks. i heard about guys taking raghorns and branch bulls during 2nd season spike only this past week in eastern oregon and gettin busted for it too. pisses me off.

Hopeful law enforcement can find the scum who did this and that our justice system will punish to the full extent of the law.

Sad, and angers me. You know, the fines should be very stiff, and even some jail time, but WTH ? If these guys do it illegally already, they will do it again, and again.

Hunting rules exist for good reasons, otherwise there would no longer be any elk, deer or much of any other wildlife besides predators and vermin.
A kind gentleman offered to let me hunt his land, but he's Santiam unit and I have a Coastal Elk, 2nd Season tag. So I explained, and said, "thank you, I cannot."

UPDATE: The reporter did an update. 3 were taken illegally, and 4 were taken legally under landowner tags. I stopped and talked to one of them I knew and they had a legal cow hanging at the farm. They said they saw the other azzholes tresspassing, not on their ground but a nurseries property. The azz clowns knew better that to go on my friends ground. They had warned every vehicle that was parked on the road waiting to stay off their property.

This herd is in the area a lot, and stays down low close to the farm ground over the winter. You have to be damn careful where you put your shots in this area and make sure you get clean shots. This is a horrible example of bad hunting and what gives hunters bad names. There were probably 3 to 4 different property owners involved where the elk were, and this was basically farm ground, a young hazelnut orchard and nursery field stock, with some bottom ground as well.

Idiots.

They said they saw the other azzholes tresspassing, not on their ground but a nurseries property. The azz clowns knew better that to go on my friends ground. They had warned every vehicle that was parked on the road waiting to stay off their property.

Pardon the rant: This crap burns me up. Both the poaching and trespassing. We own/live on rural acreage. I have no problem with people hunting on said if they get permission and I'm reasonably sure they'll be safe and obey the law. I have a big f-ing problem with people coming on said without permission and fricking up the place. I routinely find evidence of such trespass; signs shot or torn down, brush/trees trampled, garbage dumped, food packages littered about, clothing articles left behind, spent shell casings, pics of various jackasses caught on game cams, etc. :mad:

Indeed.

Alright, end rant friends. ;)

The entire reason of controlled hunting is to take animals that may not make it through the winter or to reduce heard size so their area is not overgrazed. It is to make it a sustainable harvest so there will be animals to hunt in the future. These poachers throw a monkey wrench in the whole process, not to mention that they thieves stealing from the legitimate hunter. Throw the book at them. The trespassing issue is another troubling issue as they have no respect of someones property as well while carrying out their illegal activities are also committing the crime of tresspass. These people IMO are some of the lowest form of life.

The entire reason of controlled hunting is to take animals that may not make it through the winter or to reduce heard size so their area is not overgrazed. It is to make it a sustainable harvest so there will be animals to hunt in the future. These poachers throw a monkey wrench in the whole process, not to mention that they thieves stealing from the legitimate hunter. Throw the book at them. The trespassing issue is another troubling issue as they have no respect of someones property as well while carrying out their illegal activities are also committing the crime of tresspass. These people IMO are some of the lowest form of life.

The 4 landowner kills is a normal year. This is a very sustainable herd. Elk can wreck havoc on winter wheat fields, and these new hazelnut trees. They haze them off, but you have to be careful hazing elk, because the entire herd will stampede and wipe out your entire field. They try and keep them on the west side of that road and it is all good. But this and several other herds right on the edge of farm ground love the grass and wheat fields.

The way I heard it was the 3 illegal kills were animals that had been hazed off another property by trespassing hunters who moved them to a field where they killed them. While killing them in the field itself was not illegal, the hazing and trespass was and therefore the kills themselves became illegal at that point in time. There were likely more people involved in the hazing and that is still under investigation from what I understand. I want to find out more if firearms / vehicles were seized before I post that. I would expect a press release tomorrow or Monday by OSP.

UPDATE: The reporter did an update. 3 were taken illegally, and 4 were taken legally under landowner tags. I stopped and talked to one of them I knew and they had a legal cow hanging at the farm. They said they saw the other azzholes tresspassing, not on their ground but a nurseries property. The azz clowns knew better that to go on my friends ground. They had warned every vehicle that was parked on the road waiting to stay off their property.

This herd is in the area a lot, and stays down low close to the farm ground over the winter. You have to be damn careful where you put your shots in this area and make sure you get clean shots. This is a horrible example of bad hunting and what gives hunters bad names. There were probably 3 to 4 different property owners involved where the elk were, and this was basically farm ground, a young hazelnut orchard and nursery field stock, with some bottom ground as well.

Idiots.

Appreciate you assisting in the investigation and keeping us informed.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top