JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

6.5PRC vs 280AI

• 6.5PRC

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • 280AI

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
Technically, even the ol '06 is wasted powder on most hunters. IMO these newer hot rod calibers are ideal for someone whose new to hunting or, like me, didn't have a heavier big bore... a might as well go faster kinda thing. I'm very pleased with my 280ai, my handload shoots like a laser and is more than I need. But if I already had a 06 I would have just kept using that, its a great round that will reach out too.
I can't disagree on that, but I do like the extra punch the '06 gives to an elk over the .308.

I can't disagree on that, but I do like the extra punch the '06 gives to an elk over the .308.
Whats interesting about those two calibers is if you compare the same bullet in each of them there often isnt really much more punch in the '06.

Maybe on paper, but out in the real world, I've noticed enough of a difference to make a difference.
its interesting observation on paper, but in the real world very few hunters would switch to more power to use the same bullet weight... in that is where the '06 pulls ahead.
My guess anyways.

For me, it's optics, dies and, components.

You chose wisely.
Yup, those too, and I count components as part of ammo. In this case I had the scope I wanted already, but agree it's the total cost of the system, the rifle tends to be 50% or less of that cost.

No different than when I buy a vehicle - mounted snow tires are always bought at the same time.

its interesting observation on paper, but in the real world very few hunters would switch to more power to use the same bullet weight... in that is where the '06 pulls ahead.
My guess anyways.
What the .308 can do with a 165-8gr bullet the 30-06 can do with a 180.
OR, what the .308 can do with a 150gr, the '06 can do with a 165 and an '06AI can do with a 180.
I can nip quite closely to what a 300WM can do with the '06AI. I load 180gr bullets and while I can get more velocity that what I load, I found a sweet spot that's hotter than '06 and puts those Sierra bullets closer together than this rifle ever did.

What the .308 can do with a 165-8gr bullet the 30-06 can do with a 180.
OR, what the .308 can do with a 150gr, the '06 can do with a 165 and an '06AI can do with a 180.
I can nip quite closely to what a 300WM can do with the '06AI. I load 180gr bullets and while I can get more velocity that what I load, I found a sweet spot that's hotter than '06 and puts those Sierra bullets closer together than this rifle ever did.
So why the 06AI over the WM or 300PRC?

So why the 06AI over the WM or 300PRC?
My rifle weighs less than the "same" rifle in 300WM. (I had one, almost a pound more) The AI is doing it's work in a 22" barrel compared to the 24" on the WinMag.
I was always intrigued by Ackley and decided to give it a whirl. It's been a fun project, but knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't do it over again.
The advantage of the 300 WinMag is the ability to walk into a store and buy ammo. I can't do that.
The 300PRC was only a vision in my head at the time I had my 77MKII rechambered to AI.
I'm not saying I'm the one who designed the 300PRC. I am saying that I had a 375 Ruger (10-12 years ago) and thought that case would be awesome if it was necked down to 30 cal. FYI, for anyone interested in the 300PRC, take a look at the obsolete 30 Newton. Damn near a mirror image. Newton was waaay ahead of his time.
The 30-06 is an extremely capable cartridge as it is. I knew it, but sometimes I can't resist "f-ing" with things. :D

If I was shopping for a hunting rifle, I'd choose the 30-06 over the 300 WinMag without hesitation. If I ever thought I needed more than the 06 can dish out, I wouldn't be doing it with a 30 caliber bullet.

My rifle weighs less than the "same" rifle in 300WM. (I had one, almost a pound more) The AI is doing it's work in a 22" barrel compared to the 24" on the WinMag.
I was always intrigued by Ackley and decided to give it a whirl. It's been a fun project, but knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't do it over again.
The advantage of the 300 WinMag is the ability to walk into a store and buy ammo. I can't do that.
The 300PRC was only a vision in my head at the time I had my 77MKII rechambered to AI.
I'm not saying I'm the one who designed the 300PRC. I am saying that I had a 375 Ruger (10-12 years ago) and thought that case would be awesome if it was necked down to 30 cal. FYI, for anyone interested in the 300PRC, take a look at the obsolete 30 Newton. Damn near a mirror image. Newton was waaay ahead of his time.
The 30-06 is an extremely capable cartridge as it is. I knew it, but sometimes I can't resist "f-ing" with things. :D

If I was shopping for a hunting rifle, I'd choose the 30-06 over the 300 WinMag without hesitation. If I ever thought I needed more than the 06 can dish out, I wouldn't be doing it with a 30 caliber bullet.
Whelp, I've got a 300 PRC getting built in a few months, but it's role will be long range targets.

They talk about the 264 Winchester magnum being a barrel burner . I would assume the 6.5PRC is even worse. Since brass is available for the 280AI it gets my vote. I do nor personally see the advantages over the 7mmRM . I shoot a 280 remington and a 7mmRemington. I don't think could go wrong with the 280AI.

For me, it's optics, dies and, components.

You chose wisely.
Thank you, there was a large component of luck involved choosing the 280ai due to M114 chaos that ensued at the time, this thread was actually an influence. I like things about other similar calibers (7prc etc.) but I had to make a choice fast, I felt, at the time and do think it worked out better for dies, brass and bullet choices... I admit at the time I wasn't thinking too much about that, worrying more if I would get thru the BGC before the class required to buy went into effect. (the law had just passed but not signed into law yet).

Thank you, there was a large component of luck involved choosing the 280ai due to M114 chaos that ensued at the time, this thread was actually an influence. I like things about other similar calibers (7prc etc.) but I had to make a choice fast, I felt, at the time and do think it worked out better for dies, brass and bullet choices... I admit at the time I wasn't thinking too much about that, worrying more if I would get thru the BGC before the class required to buy went into effect. (the law had just passed but not signed into law yet).
Way back when I was considering my first mountain rifle, I seriously looked at 6.5 Creedmore, 7mm-08, and 308 Win. I wanted light, short barrel, non-magnum kick and ability to kill at 700 yards. Past 400, 7/08 is better than 308. Past 600, 6.5 CM has less drop than 7/08.
I chose 7/08 because it gave me heavier bullets (162, 170, 180) over 6.5 CM.
I wasn't yet negatively biased towards Kool-aid cartridges.

Way back when I was considering my first mountain rifle, I seriously looked at 6.5 Creedmore, 7mm-08, and 308 Win. I wanted light, short barrel, non-magnum kick and ability to kill at 700 yards. Past 400, 7/08 is better than 308. Past 600, 6.5 CM has less drop than 7/08.
To put my choices in perspective the only reason I bought this new rifle is because my old rifle has been at my gunsmith for 2 years now getting a barrel replaced. In the same caliber... 25-06. ( I am getting it ackley improved though).

If it wasn't for this unknown wait in limbo I would just be using my 25-06 for everything including elk. Ive cleanly taken a few bulls with it already... Ive never truly been on the big bore bandwagon, though I do like this 280ai caliber its fun and does have a longer range of energy and velocity.

I am a fan of the 7mm mausrr, kissing cousin to the 7mm08. I use it primarily as a deer rifle. The heaviest I have shot out it is 154g bullet and it shoots those well..I figure out to about 400 yards max. My choice. If I had to shoot longer I would use a 7mm mag or 300win mag. I personally believe for deer the swede and the 7x57 are some of the best. Not to big or too small, just right.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews