JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

6.5PRC vs 280AI

• 6.5PRC

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • 280AI

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
My vote goes to the .280 Ai easier to source brass you can shoot standard .280 Remington ammo out of it to fire form the bass like any Ackley improved cartridges. You have bullet weights in .284 that range from 110 grain -190 grain . The .264 bullets go from 90 grains - 160 grains there isn't a huge difference between the two but you can get the .280 AI in a budget rifle like the savage axis ii
200.gif

My threads been resurrected. :)
Now both cartridges are old news thus none of the cool guys use them. Latest Internet expert reports are that both shoot bullets that bounce of anything larger than rock chucks from 3 feet away.

You need a much newer cartridge that you can't get ammunition for or risk embarrassing laughter. Ever been laughed at by a mulie or an elk? Not fun, my friend.

Now both cartridges are old news thus none of the cool guys use them. Latest Internet expert reports are that both shoot bullets that bounce of anything larger than rock chucks from 3 feet away.

You need a much newer cartridge that you can't get ammunition for or risk embarrassing laughter. Ever been laughed at by a mulie or an elk? Not fun, my friend.
7mm PRC has entered the chat.

Ha, so true.

After i bought the 280ai I learned about the 7prc.

But i will get the last laugh.... 😜

My 280AI is almost done and ended up hunting with my 28 Nosler this year. Killed a bull with 155gr Hammers it did the job well. My hope is the new 280AI is as good as the 28 Nosler
Im not too familiar with the 28 Nosler but if I recall its a faster velocity in the same bullet weight over the 280ai... ?

I loaded my 280ai with the 140 Absolute Hammer clocking 3200fps. Im tempted to try their 155gn options but uncertain I would gain much more.

In that case the 28 Nosler will have way more velocity over the 280ai.
At least hes shooting Hammers which are supposed to have less wear on the barrel life. I hear.
Yeah, the Nosler appealed to me for a bit, until I realized the longest shot I've ever taken at an animal was 288 yards. I then concluded all that extra powder was wasted on someone like me. The '06 sized cartridges work just fine.

Yeah, the Nosler appealed to me for a bit, until I realized the longest shot I've ever taken at an animal was 288 yards. I then concluded all that extra powder was wasted on someone like me. The '06 sized cartridges work just fine.
Technically, even the ol '06 is wasted powder on most hunters. IMO these newer hot rod calibers are ideal for someone whose new to hunting or, like me, didn't have a heavier big bore... a might as well go faster kinda thing. I'm very pleased with my 280ai, my handload shoots like a laser and is more than I need. But if I already had a 06 I would have just kept using that, its a great round that will reach out too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top