JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to this forum, did a search and couldn't come up with any threads on building a 6.5 Grendel
so - here it is - like to hear from anyone out there building Grendels
I have built both .264 LBC and 6.5G
barrels from BHW and Alexander Arms
20" target rifle w/JP adj gas block and Adams Arms piston drive carbine
Geissele and Timney triggers
the photo is of my carbine, which eats Wolf 100 grn 6.5G with no issue what so ever
the Wolf is not as accurate as Hornady 123 (1.5 MOA vs 1/2 MOA), but for the price you can't go wrong

RJMT

P1030920.JPG Grendel Russian ammo.JPG

33D2B5E0-55DA-4A70-A479-A881395B3290.jpeg 82BA404F-BBDF-4B9E-8759-34C1C823B059.jpeg CE153ABC-9159-4DB0-B984-B544175187A9.jpeg Nice rifle. I have been playing with my Grendel for a few years now. I no longer use my 5.56 or 308 semi autos. They have been gifted or sold at this point as I don't see the need for either any more. My favorite is one I built off an Alexander Arms side charging upper and lower billet kit they had made as prototypes years ago. I bought a couple of Lilja barrels when a group finally convinced him to build for the Grendel. It is very fun to shoot at all distances. The only thing I want to do is get a smaller scope for it. I have a 4-16x viper pst but want to switch to a 2-10x.
Couple Pictures of my rifle and shooting range. I have plates out at 850, 900 and 1000 yds in my old back yard.
A friend and I are improving a more secluded range that goes out to 1300 yds. My Grendel outperforms any semi auto 308 I've shot or those I've witnessed being shot at those upper ranges.
It also weighs quite a bit less as well.

Heywood, I wish I had your range - the longest I can shoot over here on the western Cascades is 300 yds
I've not seen that side charger before - nice setup
I've not taken photos of my target Grendel since I mounted the Night Force - will get photos out soon
I have the same stock you do - I like the cheekweld with that one
RJMT

20170202_193329.jpg 20171210_150144.jpg
I built this last year, I'm not sure what the point of it is yet. It's a match barrel but I have fun with an eotech on it most of the time. I don't have any real range to use the advantages. I want to like it but I've had a lot of mag issues, I orders the AA mag and had nothing but constant jams at first. It seems to be better now and has actually greatly improved since I started using converted 7.62x39 cases, but I still have the memory. Anybody have suggestions for reliable mags? That's the main thing holding me back from being super excited about it.

Last Edited:
I'll try that, I read a lot of bad reviews on those so got the AA, but it just constantly jammed with every ammo. I could run a stuffed pmag just fine, other than the rounds just sticking in the mag. It seems to have broken in a bit and now I only have issues with prefireformed 7.62x39. But it's put a bad taste in my mouth after having so many out of the box 223 ars that just work no matter how cheap or what ammo or mags

sorry to hear that -both my Grendels have run like a swiss watch since I got them tuned
by tuned, I me gas and springs - had FTF on the DI until I got it tuned properly
if your rifle is a DI, a variable gas block does wonders for a Grendel
if you wish, since your only in Camas, I can loan you one of my mags to test
I'm only home on weekends - but let me know
RJMT

It runs good, it just had trouble with rounds popping out of the mag upright and jamming in the bolt area. But I'm not sure why. I might just pick up a cmag, they seem to have improved since I last looked.

When I looked all of the c-works,stoner, acs ect we're all poorly reviewed, but that was a while ago.I kind of gave up in disgust after my long backordered and awaited and expensive AA mag finally arrived and proceeded to jam about 20 times out of about 27 rounds, while the regular pmags could run fine with however many I could jam into them. I picked it back up recently when I came across a bunch of ak brass. The full mag sitting for a year or so seems to have helped .

View attachment 412397 View attachment 412399
I built this last year, I'm not sure what the point of it is yet. It's a match barrel but I have fun with an eotech on it most of the time. I don't have any real range to use the advantages. I want to like it but I've had a lot of mag issues, I orders the AA mag and had nothing but constant jams at first. It seems to be better now and has actually greatly improved since I started using converted 7.62x39 cases, but I still have the memory. Anybody have suggestions for reliable mags? That's the main thing holding me back from being super excited about it.
ASC mags. They have a great warranty too if theirs don't work for some reason. I had a few very old ones from before they made them that had bolt hold open issues and they replaced them no questions asked.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews