JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Been toying with the idea of 6x45 also, since it would just be a barrel swap, but the 6arc and 6.5 bring so much more....
if the .25WSSM was more popular I probably would have considered that. The Grendel has the advantage of brass or factory ammo is common.

And that's why I went with the 6.5 build over 6.8 Rem SPC, at the time barrels and bolts had the same availability but I could find 6.5 Grendel ammo for good prices locally back in 2021ish. Then they both disappeared, then started seeing 6.5 Grendel back in stock at higher prices... prices have stabilized a little bit but still not as low as they used to be, and still no other source of FMJ 6.5 ammo other than Wolf, at least not locally. Edit. I still got a few boxes of Hornady Frontier 6.5 Grendel FMJs along with Hornady Black Open Tip match and Custom SST 6.5 Grendel and Wolf FMJs.

Hate these threads...been debating on doing a Grendel...but 6arc has me intrigued also...
Only real concern for me is grabbing some mags before I cant...
The 6ARC can launch the high B.C. 6mm bullets at 2850 - 2900
It's essentially a SAAMI-ed 6mmPPC, so it was already proven.
I just put one together with a Brownell's/Howa Mini barreled action.
Haven't shot it yet.

And that's why I went with the 6.5 build over 6.8 Rem SPC, at the time barrels and bolts had the same availability but I could find 6.5 Grendel ammo for good prices locally back in 2021ish. Then they both disappeared, then started seeing 6.5 Grendel back in stock at higher prices... prices have stabilized a little bit but still not as low as they used to be, and still no other source of FMJ 6.5 ammo other than Wolf, at least not locally. Edit. I still got a few boxes of Hornady Frontier 6.5 Grendel FMJs along with Hornady Black Open Tip match and Custom SST 6.5 Grendel and Wolf FMJs.
Yup, Availability is a factor.
Ive never seen any 25wssm brass or ammo in stock, only a few places even list it. I really like its ballistics and uniqueness (im a 25-06 fan...) but I didnt want to be stuck with something obscure or have to make brass from other brass.
I do think the 6arc will become popular and fit alongside the Grendel as the popular hunting MSR calibers.

if the .25WSSM was more popular I probably would have considered that. The Grendel has the advantage of brass or factory ammo is common.
D-Tech (DTI) is the only one I know of that has 25WSM uppers in the inventory.
They used Olympic Arms barrels back in the day and my guess is that they acquired some "large AR bolt face" intel from Olympic before Olympic closed up shop.

D-Tech (DTI) is the only one I know of that has 25WSM uppers in the inventory.
They used Olympic Arms barrels back in the day and my guess is that they acquired some "large AR bolt face" intel from Olympic before Olympic closed up shop.
yeah, too obscure still. I'm sure they are a quality company but I get the impression they are scrounging for parts unless they fabricate their own.

The unboxing..... just wow.

1683855381741.png

The unboxing..... just wow.

View attachment 1420732
Beautiful. That's from Grendel Hunter? Pretty much looking at the same upper in an 18". Want to install a Dead Air brake so I can put my Sandman suppressor on it.

All of this crap with long wait times on background checks has made me reluctant to buy anything new but with the Grendel project I can use a lower I already have and satisfy my urge to do something new. I'm not a hunter but from my understanding, the 6.5 Grendel is pretty much the jack or all trades caliber and I'd like something I can hunt with in the future. I want to keep it light enough I can pack it for long hikes.

Leaning more toward Grendel than 6.5 ARC just because of prevalence and cost of factory ammo (I don't reload...yet). Unless someone can talk me into something different?

Thread revival...
Ive had all summer to play with it and love it. ASC 5 and 15rd mags work fine, the 15rd wont feed the top one so its downloaded to 14. ARStoner 25rd mags work fine. I went with a carbine buffer assembly and a Magpul PRSlite rifle stock, works great after working out issues with spring and buffer weight. I thought the adjustable gas block was kinda hoaky dialing it in, seemed ineffective.

I worked up a handload with a 97gn Absolute Hammer bullet at 2800fps with A2520 powder. I'm getting about 1.25moa and hitting out to 300yds with only a 6in holdover. I'm limited to 300 with the scope I have because its a simple 3-9 and doesn't have external turret dials so a 200yd MPBR zero works fine out to 300yds. At some point I will upgrade the scope as I think the caliber and my handload is capable out to at least 400yds.
Ive been hunting deer with it all season, no luck but its been a great carry rifle at 9.3lbs.

1698679657442.jpeg

Beautiful. That's from Grendel Hunter? Pretty much looking at the same upper in an 18". Want to install a Dead Air brake so I can put my Sandman suppressor on it.

All of this crap with long wait times on background checks has made me reluctant to buy anything new but with the Grendel project I can use a lower I already have and satisfy my urge to do something new. I'm not a hunter but from my understanding, the 6.5 Grendel is pretty much the jack or all trades caliber and I'd like something I can hunt with in the future. I want to keep it light enough I can pack it for long hikes.

Leaning more toward Grendel than 6.5 ARC just because of prevalence and cost of factory ammo (I don't reload...yet). Unless someone can talk me into something different?
yes, the upper is from Grendel Hunter. They did an excellent job, and fast shipping. They use Satern barrels and Ive heard mixed reviews but when it was still unfired I examined the chamber and bore and crown with my borescope and its one of the smoothest cleanest new bores Ive ever purchased. The crown is a perfect edge. I think my rifle is more accurate than I am or my handloads but need to work on that.

The political uncertainty pushed this build to the top this year, but I really wish I would have got one years ago now. An AR is just an AR but I really like having a caliber that I can hunt with and put having an AR rifle to practical use.

Re caliber: the 6mmARC is going to be another really good deer round you cant go wrong either way but I liked the heavier bullet options with the 6.5 Grendel and its also legal for elk (not necessarily recommending that just noting its versatility). If you get into reloading either will be an awesome round, there is more factory ammo for the grendel but man it is expensive. I have only fired my handloads so far.

yes, the upper is from Grendel Hunter. They did an excellent job, and fast shipping. They use Satern barrels and Ive heard mixed reviews but when it was still unfired I examined the chamber and bore and crown with my borescope and its one of the smoothest cleanest new bores Ive ever purchased. The crown is a perfect edge. I think my rifle is more accurate than I am or my handloads but need to work on that.

The political uncertainty pushed this build to the top this year, but I really wish I would have got one years ago now. An AR is just an AR but I really like having a caliber that I can hunt with and put having an AR rifle to practical use.

Re caliber: the 6mmARC is going to be another really good deer round you cant go wrong either way but I liked the heavier bullet options with the 6.5 Grendel and its also legal for elk (not necessarily recommending that just noting its versatility). If you get into reloading either will be an awesome round, there is more factory ammo for the grendel but man it is expensive. I have only fired my handloads so far.
I know this is probably one of the last things I should consider but what is the weight like on your build? I'm looking for a scope right now from a weight savings approach but...depending on the weight of the gun itself I'm beginning to wonder if saving a few ounces on the scope is a wasted effort. As a hunting gun, obviously weight savings can be important but there are places where it's difficult to trim weight. Especially if I have to hang a heavy suppressor off the end.

I know this is probably one of the last things I should consider but what is the weight like on your build? I'm looking for a scope right now from a weight savings approach but...depending on the weight of the gun itself I'm beginning to wonder if saving a few ounces on the scope is a wasted effort. As a hunting gun, obviously weight savings can be important but there are places where it's difficult to trim weight. Especially if I have to hang a heavy suppressor off the end.
I wont be back for a week to weigh it for you but iirc it was about 9.5lbs with my Leupold 3x9 scope. 20in bbl...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top