JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to build a 6.5 Grendel hunting rifle. Ive started the lower assembly but want to buy the upper complete.
I dont know much about the brands. The two brands that Ive bookmarked so far are Alexander Arms and The Grendel Hunter. Im leaning towards the Grendel Hunter because you configure your build components to order and they have more options in longer barrel lengths, Im hovering between a 20 and 22in barrel.

What brand do you recommend and what barrel length would you recommend?

@v0lcom13sn0w is the only Grendel King that I know of…. at least the only that still has all ten fingers left.

;)
And I have a 6.5 Grendel SBR.... Monster 12" barrel from Six-Five Outfitters. But they don't sell complete uppers unless you buy the individual parts all at once for a $25 fee. And the parts must be in stock :rolleyes: so. JSE Surplus has 3 different 6.5 Grendel uppers listed, only the 20" and 22" Nitrided are in stock, one in 20", the other two in 22"(one SS Nitrided, other two are bare SS )but all three have Keymod free float tubes

And I have a 6.5 Grendel SBR.... Monster 12" barrel from Six-Five Outfitters. But they don't sell complete uppers unless you buy the individual parts all at once for a $25 fee. And the parts must be in stock :rolleyes: so. JSE Surplus has 3 different 6.5 Grendel uppers listed, only the 20" and 22" Nitrided are in stock, one in 20", the other two in 22"(one SS Nitrided, other two are bare SS )but all three have Keymod free float tubes

Yeah but I hear you're missing a few toes…. or was it that you had webbed toes?

I can't remember…. :s0153:

Alexander Arms is the original company who made the first ones. They're great brand. Grendel Hunter, I read good things about them, but relatively newer

Does everyone still have to pay AA a licensing fee to use their chambering? I recall there was a bug stir about something like that back then when 6.5G came out.

Oops…. sorry, thread drift!! :eek:

I want to build a 6.5 Grendel hunting rifle. Ive started the lower assembly but want to buy the upper complete.
I dont know much about the brands. The two brands that Ive bookmarked so far are Alexander Arms and The Grendel Hunter. Im leaning towards the Grendel Hunter because you configure your build components to order and they have more options in longer barrel lengths, Im hovering between a 20 and 22in barrel.

What brand do you recommend and what barrel length would you recommend?

most grendel hunter uppers have satern barrels. very good reviews on those barrels. 18-22" is good for grendel. i think the more velocity the better to really get the most out of the round down range. i personally went with an 18" barrel because i use a suppressor and carry this gun around during deer season.

. i took a gamble with a bear creek arsenal barrel(because the ballistic advantage one i wanted was backordered so i bought it just to finish the build) and must have gotten a 1 in a 100 barrel from BCA because it holds 1 minute or less out to 600(repeatedly) which is the furthest ive shot mine at an actual target and not the face of a rock 1000 yards away lol.

IMO, you cant go wrong with either of the two brands you suggested. there wont be much velocity difference between a 20 and 22". if youre thinking 22" go 22" if not, go 20" personal preference i guess.

Type II bolt/ chamber seems to be more common now days. stick with that.

best factory loaded ammo ive tried has been hornady black 123gr

if you handload, i suggest a ball type or super short grain powder with a 123gr bullet…BLC2, CFE223, IMR8208xbr all have worker well for me. i settled with blc2 because i load 5 other calibers with it.

12" barrel has been on my list for 6.5 grendel for some time now. who doesnt want a room clearing sniper rifle?? lol

I think mine is pretty much one of the only 6.5 Grendel Model 733/735 clones out there with a pinned FSB on the Monster barrel that @Velzey worked on :D C7 upper from Brownells, AIM surplus 6.5 Grendel Type 2 bolt, Monster type 2 barrel, full mass M16 carrier, Daniel defense virgin FSB with A1 post, PSA H&R CAR retro stock, standard except for NWFA laser engraving, poverty pony lower with CMMG parts

and a pic of it for arousal ;)

20230327_121132.jpg

I know there are a lot of BCA naysayers... but I've never had a problem with their uppers. That said I've never owned one of their grendels before.

They've got a few different varieties of grendel.

Edited to add:
I built my Grendel around an 18" odin works stainless barrel. Paired that with a side charging receiver (not BCA) so I had no interference or accessibility issues with my scope as compared to a rear charging setup. I strictly run Hornady black 123gr. I've haven't had the chance to take it past 300 yards, but its an absolute tack driver at that distance. Even with me behind the trigger...

Last Edited:
most grendel hunter uppers have satern barrels. very good reviews on those barrels. 18-22" is good for grendel. i think the more velocity the better to really get the most out of the round down range. i personally went with an 18" barrel because i use a suppressor and carry this gun around during deer season.

. i took a gamble with a bear creek arsenal barrel(because the ballistic advantage one i wanted was backordered so i bought it just to finish the build) and must have gotten a 1 in a 100 barrel from BCA because it holds 1 minute or less out to 600(repeatedly) which is the furthest ive shot mine at an actual target and not the face of a rock 1000 yards away lol.

IMO, you cant go wrong with either of the two brands you suggested. there wont be much velocity difference between a 20 and 22". if youre thinking 22" go 22" if not, go 20" personal preference i guess.

Type II bolt/ chamber seems to be more common now days. stick with that.

best factory loaded ammo ive tried has been hornady black 123gr

if you handload, i suggest a ball type or super short grain powder with a 123gr bullet…BLC2, CFE223, IMR8208xbr all have worker well for me. i settled with blc2 because i load 5 other calibers with it.
super helpful and what I was looking for.

So far here's what I know. ....

not too much difference between 2 inches bbl length, but for hunting and handloading squeezing out more velocity helps extend terminal velocity. I cant remember but I think every inch gains about 25fps. I know I want at least a 20in but ive just never handled an AR over 18in. Not that my bolt elk rifle is a short rifle though...

My notes tell me to get an adjustable gas block and only the type II bolt/chamber.

I have plenty of CFE223 on hand and already 100 virgin starline cases, and a few standard magazines... :)

been leaning towards the GrendelHunter upper because its customizable and longer barrel but I worry they take additional time to assemble in light of HB2005 passing. I dont know when HB2005 goes into effect if passed and fear its when signed.

I've seriously considered doing a short barrel grendel. Not sure i can afford to feed two in that caliber though. Especially since I don't handload...

You got pics?

Thanks for the help folks, 20in fluted sst GrendelHunter complete upper with BCG purchased.
If it sounds rushed it wasnt been sitting on this for months now just some final notes from Grendel shooters confirmed my choices. I wasnt planning on buying this month but not confident HB2005 wont screw up the future. I already snuck in the lower as 114 was passing. Probably the last semi rifle I'll ever get to buy.

The only things left I need to buy now are a stock and buffer tube assembly.
For a rifle i just need a rifle buffer tube will fit any stock?

The only things left I need to buy now are a stock and buffer tube assembly.
For a rifle i just need a rifle buffer tube will fit any stock?
Rifle tubes are for the A1-A2 type fixed stocks. Carbine tubes, the smaller diameter ones are Mil-Spec and should fit the majority of "mil spec" stocks, the larger diameter tubes are Commercial spec and only fits Commercial stocks. Then there's all the oddball tubes and stocks, some which only comes as a set..

Here is my 16"
223 Wylde with the Doublestar Ace ARFX fixed stock that uses rifle tube and buffer, and on the rifle lower against the 6.5 Grendel SBR lower
20230324_162724.jpg 20230324_174601.jpg 20230324_174829.jpg 20230324_174846.jpg 20230324_174906.jpg 20230326_093540.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top