JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rifle tubes are for the A1-A2 type fixed stocks. Carbine tubes, the smaller diameter ones are Mil-Spec and should fit the majority of "mil spec" stocks,
I dont necessarily want a GI fixed rifle stock. Can i put a carbine buffer tube on a rifle length gas system?

I dont necessarily want a GI fixed rifle stock. Can i put a carbine buffer tube on a rifle length gas system?
Yes you can..it has been done many times
. In fact, the US military has the Mk12 that frequently gets a collapsible carbine stock on them, though it's 18" barrel, it has the Rifle gas length.
mark-12-mod-h-rifle-wb5-stock-1-8-twist-barrel.jpg

The only possible thing is.. buffer weight. You might need to play with it to get the feel right, but that's why most Grendel shooters opt for adjustable gas blocks so they can fine tune the whole system.

Yes you can..it has been done many times
good to know.
although, this is a dedicated rifle. I was planning on putting the Luth MBA-1 full kit on it which comes with a rifle length buffer. I guess if theres a carbine stock I might like I have time to look around. I just know I would never plan on collapsing a carbine stock on a rifle with a 20in bbl.

1683161748864.png

super helpful and what I was looking for.

So far here's what I know. ....

not too much difference between 2 inches bbl length, but for hunting and handloading squeezing out more velocity helps extend terminal velocity. I cant remember but I think every inch gains about 25fps. I know I want at least a 20in but ive just never handled an AR over 18in. Not that my bolt elk rifle is a short rifle though...

My notes tell me to get an adjustable gas block and only the type II bolt/chamber.

I have plenty of CFE223 on hand and already 100 virgin starline cases, and a few standard magazines... :)

been leaning towards the GrendelHunter upper because its customizable and longer barrel but I worry they take additional time to assemble in light of HB2005 passing. I dont know when HB2005 goes into effect if passed and fear its when signed.
awesome! i prefer E-Lander or C products mags for the grendel. its too bad they dont use a 5.56 mag.

ASC I think once put out a 15+? rd straight mag that Bill Alexander told them not to, and they torpedoed the brand (ASC)'s reputation.. Alexander came up with the more aggressive curve geometry and that's where C-Products and I believe other reputable brands came from. But for 10rd, straight is just fine, in my experience.

awesome! i prefer E-Lander or C products mags for the grendel. its too bad they dont use a 5.56 mag.
I wonder if you can convert them if we can find just the blue follower?
All I have is a handful of AR stoner mags I bought on impulse after 114 passed (back before Midway stopped selling mags to Oregon). I have one 5rd mag for hunting but I cant remember what brand it was, ASC I think. Now that Im officially 90% into the build I will get back to buying more mags after I pay the bill on this new upper.

They won't work as reliably even if you swap followers.

Check this thread out, consensus is that the 5-10rd straight mags works the most reliably.

C products 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39 mags stack and cycle reliability for 26+rds. But usually you're not going to want larger cap mags because ammo isn't cheap for Grendel. When ammo was cheaper pre-covid it was still around $1/rd for decent ammo. It's only gone up from there..

They won't work as reliably even if you swap followers.

Check this thread out, consensus is that the 5-10rd straight mags works the most reliably.
Lots of recommendations for Elander and C Products mags. I'll check those out when I buy more. I'll give up the idea of swapping followers in 556 mags....

C products 6.5 Grendel or 7.62x39 mags stack and cycle reliability for 26+rds. But usually you're not going to want larger cap mags because ammo isn't cheap for Grendel. When ammo was cheaper pre-covid it was still around $1/rd for decent ammo. It's only gone up from there..
I'll keep the 7.62 tip in mind if needed. I agree, im not getting this for mag dumps or self defense needs, this is a for fun only bucket list project to add to my hunting lineup. I will probably look for 5 and some 10rd mags mostly.

side note: Ordered on Wed, shipping label received this morning. Never ordered from Grendel Hunter before but thats a good sign... I think. Hopefully they assembled it right.

I run C-Products Duramags in 10 and 20rd sizes, and ASC 10rd size. Esstac Shorty KYWIs are the largest that fits the 20rd Duramags, too tall for the 10rd mags which is why I made the 4 cell Retro style pocket. 11 of the mags fits a standard 30cal can by the way. 20220722_151821.jpg 20220722_153310.jpg 20201109_171156.jpg 20201109_171207.jpg 20201014_163905.jpg 20201012_141354.jpg
Edit. I also made a 3 mag retroish belt/MOLLE pouch for the 20rd mags 20200918_123743.jpg 20200918_131104.jpg 20200918_131124.jpg

Haven't gotten around to making a 2nd triple mag pouch yet :rolleyes: :s0140:

I run C-Products Duramags in 10 and 20rd sizes, and ASC 10rd size. Esstac Shorty KYWIs are the largest that fits the 20rd Duramags, too tall for the 10rd mags which is why I made the 4 cell Retro style pocket. 11 of the mags fits a standard 30cal can by the way. View attachment 1417081View attachment 1417082View attachment 1417083View attachment 1417084View attachment 1417085View attachment 1417086
Edit. I also made a 3 mag retroish belt/MOLLE pouch for the 20rd magsView attachment 1417088View attachment 1417087View attachment 1417089

Haven't gotten around to making a 2nd triple mag pouch yet :rolleyes: :s0140:
Thats really cool, if I get this rifle ready in time for deer season I should fit a spare 5rd mag pouch to my pack.

Hate these threads...been debating on doing a Grendel...but 6arc has me intrigued also...
Only real concern for me is grabbing some mags before I cant...

Hate these threads...been debating on doing a Grendel...but 6arc has me intrigued also...
Only real concern for me is grabbing some mags before I cant...
I did take a close look at the 6arc... decided to stay with the Grendel for the larger bullet but the 6arc is going to be another great MSR hunting caliber.
Definitely get some mags now while you still can.

I did a grendel a few years ago, but with a blem bbl that had chamber issues...ended up selling the ither parts off....now I want to do another 🙄

Been toying with the idea of 6x45 also, since it would just be a barrel swap, but the 6arc and 6.5 bring so much more....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top