JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
why worry about "food grade"?
Most of my preps are in mylar.
I don't know about mylar.
I have wrapped flour bags in Saran, and I have pasta in the original plastic packaging, stored in non-food grade buckets. Obviously, just because one type of plastic outgasses dyes does not necessarily mean that another type of plastic will let the dyes pass through to the food, but :confused: speaking just for myself, I figure I'd better swap out buckets. Better safe than sorry.

I don't know about mylar.
I have wrapped flour bags in Saran, and I have pasta in the original plastic packaging, stored in non-food grade buckets. Obviously, just because one type of plastic outgasses dyes does not necessarily mean that another type of plastic will let the dyes pass through to the food, but :confused: speaking just for myself, I figure I'd better swap out buckets. Better safe than sorry.

Makes sense. As thick as mylar is i feel pretty confident but that's definitely something i will research. I also have some stuff in original packaging though.

Next time you are at The Tillamook cheese factory you may want to check out the 3 gallon buckets (with lids) they have for .50c each. They are food grade and what they use to store the ice cream in.

I got some of this back in 1999. They are not bad tasting.

The link for it is:Case (10 Pkg) Mainstay 3600 Emergency Food Rations SIF-10

Mainstay 3600 Emergency Food Rations Specifications:
Ready to Eat : Each package contains 9 pre-measured 400 calorie meals in a compact emergency food ration bar.
Individualized portions : eliminate mess of splitting larger bars.
Small bar size : consume during high stress, active on-land emergency situation.
Great tasting : food bars packed with essential vitamins and minerals that exceed RDA requirements.
No cholesterol or tropical oils.
Kosher and meets the dictates for Halal.
Non-thirst provoking .
Pleasant lemon flavor.
Standards Met: US Coast Guard standards (160.046/23/0) and Department of Defense (SOLAS 74/83) guidelines for packaged emergency rations.
Canadian Coast Guard approved.
Storage Temperatures: Withstands temperatures from minus 40° to plus 300° F.
Made in the USA.
Manufacturer: Survivor Industries.
9 bar size package: 6" x 5.5" x 1".
Each bar: 2" x 1.75" x 1". 2.67 oz. 400 calorie. 3 g. protein. 46 g. carbohydrate. 23 g. fat. 23 mg. sodium. 0 mg. cholesterol.
Weight: 24 oz.
5 year shelf life.

I got some of this back in 1999. They are not bad tasting.

The link for it is:Case (10 Pkg) Mainstay 3600 Emergency Food Rations*SIF-10

Mainstay 3600 Emergency Food Rations Specifications:
Ready to Eat : Each package contains 9 pre-measured 400 calorie meals in a compact emergency food ration bar.
Individualized portions : eliminate mess of splitting larger bars.
Small bar size : consume during high stress, active on-land emergency situation.
Great tasting : food bars packed with essential vitamins and minerals that exceed RDA requirements.
No cholesterol or tropical oils.
Kosher and meets the dictates for Halal.
Non-thirst provoking .
Pleasant lemon flavor.
Standards Met: US Coast Guard standards (160.046/23/0) and Department of Defense (SOLAS 74/83) guidelines for packaged emergency rations.
Canadian Coast Guard approved.
Storage Temperatures: Withstands temperatures from minus 40° to plus 300° F.
Made in the USA.
Manufacturer: Survivor Industries.
9 bar size package: 6" x 5.5" x 1".
Each bar: 2" x 1.75" x 1". 2.67 oz. 400 calorie. 3 g. protein. 46 g. carbohydrate. 23 g. fat. 23 mg. sodium. 0 mg. cholesterol.
Weight: 24 oz.
5 year shelf life.

Ate some of these in the Coast Guard. Really pretty tasty. Nice & compact for the number of calories too. Definitely an emergency type food, not a long term storage SHTF food for me. Good if mobile & space or weight is an issue.

So if you have a food grade bucket and you then go buy several 5 pound bags of rice can you just toss those bags into the bucket and shut the lid and call it a day or am I missing some important step?

-d

Last Edited:
So if you have a food grade bucket and you then go buy several 5 pound bags of rice can you just toss those bags into the bucket and shut the lid and call it a day or am I missing some important step?

-d

Yes, you are missing the freezing step. Freezing kills any bugs, or more importantly, eggs that are packaged with the rice.

The method you are using will keep the rice for at least 3-4 years. It will turn yellow in that time from oxidation, but will taste fine.

For longer term storage, freeze, then either dump the ice directly into the bucket, leaving 10% space, along with a small chunk of dry ice at the bottom. Let the dry ice evaporate about 90% prior to putting the lid on or you'll either implode it or never get the lid off.

OR...

Freeze (zero degrees for 72hrs will do), then put into mylar bags with o2 absorbers and then put the mylar bags into the buckets...

Consensus seems to be either of those methods are good for at least 30 years.

If you plan to rotate frequently, you're probably fine with your current method. I personally eat Quinoa for everyday and store my rice, so that would not work for me.

Do a youtube search for PAW productions to watch step-by-step methods from real experts.

Take Care
QB

Is the freezing step 100% necessary? The LDS operation where they can products like rice, with 0xyben absorbers, doesn't freeze and they rate it as good for 30 years. That's why I did the Mylar bags with 02 absorbers, but I didn't freeze stuff first.

thanks!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads