JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just for sake of a discussion. I am putting together a 48 Willys Jeep and off road travel trailer to go on long far away from civilization adventures. To that end one of the things I want to store in the Willys is an emergency 72+ hour food stash for two people. I already have the basic food kits from one of the major Survival Food outfits with a 25 year storage life. BUT they require water to prepare so I need a way to store water for a long period of time. And it has to be a pretty rugged container as it will get bounced around. This food along with other items will be stored in a small foot locker under the back seat of the Willys (if the seat is retained otherwise it will just be packed with other stuff in the 36" X 39" x 36" rear bed of the WIllys.

SO anyone got a favorite container or containers (preferred multiples for safety) That can add up to 2.5 gallons of water?

And is there any reason not to use 2 liter pop bottles they seam almost indestructible.

Last Edited:
Water bricks might be up your lane.
1608763302681.jpeg
Or a military style or surplus container.
1608763273749.jpeg

Some water filters might also be choice if you are going to be around any bodies of water or streams.

less space and weight.

Some water filters might also be choice if you are going to be around any bodies of water or streams.

less space and weight.

I will include a water filter system in my gear for sure. But in the case of the emergency food the stuff is pretty much uneatable without boiling water. And if a natural source of water is not handy then the filter is useless. So I figure I need the water as much as the food.

Just an idea,

2 - 4"x 24" pvc (for potable)waterpipe will hold 1.3 gallons each... make 2 containers (or more)

--- tough as nails, portable (and at 10 lbs each they make a pretty good clubs too)

Last Edited:
I haven't looked in a long time for storage water but there use to be "canned" water available with a long shelf life that the life rafts had onboard. Also, I wonder if just buying a few boxes of bottled water will work for you, and just rotate the boxes out once a year.

I haven't looked in a long time for storage water but there use to be "canned" water available with a long shelf life that the life rafts had onboard. Also, I wonder if just buying a few boxes of bottled water will work for you, and just rotate the boxes out once a year.
We just bought a case of Essentia 9.5ph, and it's good until "May 05 2022," so about 18-months shelf life and probably double that if in a cool dark storage spot...three years pushing it and no special containers to buy...maybe? 002354B3-A408-4672-88FF-5E8DC393B887.jpeg

About 25 drops of bleach for 2.5 gallons of tap water should keep the crawlies away for a good spell..

CDC:
"8 drops of 6% bleach, or 6 drops of 8.25% bleach, to each gallon of water."

Freezing could be an issue.
I suggest this survival product which is 40% alcohol to protect from freezing, that leaves you 60% water to wash your dishes if you are still able to care.:)
001a1.jpg

Why not just buy one of two of the 2.5 gallon jugs of water from the store. Cost less than $5 each. Change them out once per year when you check your other supplies. No treatments etc to worry about.

I would also pick up a filter.

Agree with @2Wheels4Ever
Rotopax for the win...they are designed for travel and off-road use, and have a great reputation.
I use their 2 gallon red containers for gas when I'm off-road or camping, and I lay them flat. No leaking at all.
If you stored one of these standing on end, with the spout up, I don't think you'd need to worry at all about leaking or it's robustness.

Last Edited:
Why not just buy one of two of the 2.5 gallon jugs of water from the store. Cost less than $5 each. Change them out once per year when you check your other supplies. No treatments etc to worry about.

I would also pick up a filter.
I seriously doubt they would hold up to riding around in the back of a Willy jeep. Not exactly the same kind of ride you get in an SUV. LoL

I seriously doubt they would hold up to riding around in the back of a Willy jeep. Not exactly the same kind of ride you get in an SUV. LoL

Sure, if they are just sliding around loose, you are probably right. If they are in some sort of basic box it should hold up fine. Very cheap to test.

If you just want something cooler, I understand. I keep wanting to buy a Rotopax for fuel on my UTV, then I keep remembering that in over 4000 I have never come close to needing one. I know fuel is not the same as your situation, but similar.

Last Edited:
If you are not going to cycle the water every so often, then those plastic containers will leak some nasty crap into your water.

Go with a steel container...or ceramic...if you want to make sure the water doesn't contain any nasties a few years from now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top