JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For long-term storage these days I exclusively use the black and yellow containers from Costco and I just label them with what is inside.. If I were to need something I could see into I would go with something very thick and semi-opaque, but not clear.
I have a couple dozen of the 27 gallon yellow/orange & black containers. Problem is they are usually too heavy to move by one person with a bad back when fully loaded. They are relatively strong, but won't support my 270#; I cracked the lid on one - so you don't want to stack them too high.

Buckets OTOH are about the right size, except round buckets are not space efficient.

I have a couple dozen of the 27 gallon yellow/orange & black containers. Problem is they are usually too heavy to move by one person with a bad back when fully loaded. They are relatively strong, but won't support my 270#; I cracked the lid on one - so you don't want to stack them too high.

Buckets OTOH are about the right size, except round buckets are not space efficient.
Yeah, I was talking in a very general way about using those Costco containers, not specific to your purpose. If using those, then for heavier loads you have to stop down to the smaller version, both to improve the ability to carry them, and to reduce the effect of over-stacking heavy containers, as you cut the weight on the bottom down by about 55%, while increasing the strength because the lids are smaller in all dimensions.

But yeah, a good bucket is very effective for things that fit in them as well.... I just am not a fan of clear containers of any kind. That was really may main point.

I got a few of the half sized containers, but they are not as good a value as they cost 50% per gallon.

I gave my daughter some $ and told her to get as many of the clear rectangular containers for general storage that would mostly be stored in the house so now I have a surplus of those, but they are not robust and certainly do not seal well. They are adequate for protecting things from mice though, at least for some things. For long term durable storage of valuable items though, not good. I still need to get buckets for that purpose.

The most durable containers I have are the GI surplus metal "cans" of various sizes, and those store mostly ammo. If some of the MTM ammo crates go on sale again I will pickup more of those as they are good compromise - the largest being about 9 gallons for $16 when on sale, which is comparable per gallon to buckets, plus they are much easier to use/move and have a better seal - but the regular non-sale price (~$25) is not competitive.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top