JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is the freezing step 100% necessary? The LDS operation where they can products like rice, with 0xyben absorbers, doesn't freeze and they rate it as good for 30 years. That's why I did the Mylar bags with 02 absorbers, but I didn't freeze stuff first.

thanks!

Heya unionguy. From what i can determine, it's still recommended when packaged in mylar, but not nearly as necessary as when left in original packaging or dumped directly into a bag.

I would say it's still absolutely necessary if your grain is processed at all. Flour is extremely difficult to keep insect free long term. Rice can still be problematic, whole wheat kernels it seems is less susceptible & legumes are the easiest.

This is just from what i've gleaned from reading lots of internet threads, pamphlets & video's on YT. I'm not an expert and i've yet to have to open any of my preps as of yet so i cannot vouch first hand.

It's still possible to freeze after the fact, especially if you have access to a chest type deep freezer. And if it has to wait a few years it's not too late to poke them in there for a day or two.

Get your survival pantry into a 5 gallon bucket.

Fit a complete and proportioned meal plan into a 5 gallon bucket with a recipe book. Go for the longest storage life, nutritional value, and lowest cost. But should also be stuff you would acctually eat, IE a bucket of wheatberries doesnt count. Cannot require electricity/freezer to store.

Currently Im working on one that will contain everthing needed for a good lentil stew and Keen wah. Im having a more difficul time with the breakfast aspect, spam would work for both the stew and as a breakfast meat, bisquick is probably one of the most flexable items I can think of...

What would you put in it, and what would you make with it?

Spam?.......SPAM?!!! Shoot me now!!!:s0114:

I'm still thinking about food products, but I'd fill the nooks and crannies of the bucket with dehydrated water to more easily prepare my foods.

Good idea, you could also use the dehydrated water for other purposes. The hydrogen could be used as a fire starter or IED, the oxygen could also be used to start fires but it would probably be better to save it for medical emergencies as there is only half as much of it...

yes and no.

There was a gentleman selling food wise products at the Puyallup preparedness fair and he was cooking up samples. Then as I was about to try it, the pierce county health dept warned that they are about to receive a $150.00 ticket if they continue with there opeartion without handwash station etc... So no, I did not taste it but I did get smell it and it looked awesome. They felt my disapoint and gave me a pouch to try out.

I have not done so, yet but will soon!

Food like this can be a main staple item but I feel it is best as an augmentation to the rest of your supplies.

The portions are very generous so I am guessing you could get away with one entree per day.

I will post a reveiw of my opinion(s) once I do try it.

SF-

Silverfox, I was waiting to see what you think about the stuff. Do we have to pay for the review:) :D

Silverfox, I was waiting to see what you think about the stuff. Do we have to pay for the review:) :D

Hhhhmmmmmmm..... An online payment system to read my words, not a bad idea.....

No I need to get off my duff and cook it.

I received the 2010 procrasternators award but told them I'd pick it up tomorrow.

SF-

Sounds like dinners at your house:) Did you get the "sample" or just pony up and get a full on package?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top