JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The main thing about a ".223" ("normal" AR), is I can cheek weld it and kill you instantly in the dark/no sights/blindfolded. that's a good thing for me

But who has a carbine/rifle in their hands right now? it doesn't even matter because we all know the answer, speaking of hands.. or to hand.. perhaps carry (and learn yourself how to use), a fighting handgun and your hands/body. and of course, good luck to us all

I made that assertion once and every insisted I was wrong.

Whatever.

You and Certaindeaf would be correct as I have always understood the terms.

From wiki's depths:

The word "pistol" is often synonymous with the word "handgun". Some handgun experts make a technical distinction that views pistols as a subset of handguns. Sometimes in American usage, the term "pistol" refers to a handgun having one chamber integral with the barrel, making pistols distinct from the other main type of handgun, the revolver, which has a revolving cylinder containing multiple chambers. But UK/Commonwealth usage often does not make this distinction. For example, the official designation of the Webley Mk VI was "Pistol, Revolver, Webley No. 1 Mk VI", and the designation "Pistol No. 2 Mk I" was used to refer to both the Enfield Revolver and the later Browning Hi-Power semi-automatic.

So it's unamerican to call a revolver a pistol Appearently and I'm an expert... Thanks wiki!!!

----------------------------

VZ58s are crap. The only thing that resembles an AK on the VZ is that they both shoot 7.62x39.

They won't take the same mags, the piston is separate from the bolt and those things are jam-o-matics when compared to the AK. Even the AMD-64 is better than the VZ58, and I think they're crap too! If you want an inexpensive AK, get a Saiga, or a WASR-10, hell even a MAK-90 before a VZ58!

Just my two cents...

lol, I don't want an inexpensive AK.
I have quite a few rounds through VZ58's , two of them, just not my own.
Never even heard of one jamming till you posted your experience with them.
Personally I would trade two Saigas for a new VZ58.
Generally its widely accepted 58's are a better AK. But everyone has a preference so enjoy your AK, plenty of people are enjoing their 58's. Plenty of rifles will shoot circles around both of them:cool:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/28/why-the-vz-58-is-better-than-the-ak-47/

Here you go my friend, 5 mags included……it's a folder but I bet that can be changed if a guy doesn't like a folder.
its technically a VZ2008, so that import nonsense is taken care of …..Century I believe so….
<broken link removed>
Sorry, but the only unreliable AK I ever owned was a CAI Golani

Only Century could screw up an AK. :rolleyes:

It wasn't just me either - a lot of people have problems with them.

I will never buy any Century products.

Actually the 396 that came in some '66 Chevelles was good too. Hyd lifters and 7,000 red line. NHRA factored to 450HP. Put one in my '66 Camaro. Street tires, through the mufflers and only short T bars. Would lift both fronts off the ground going into 2nd. And it wasn't just a few inches either. 11.96 @ 122 in the quarter.
Deen, The motor and Chevelle you are referring to is the 65 Chevelle Z16 (201 built); its motor is the L37 396/375 hp.
(Whatever year Camaro you had, there were no Camaros in '66.)
That old Sun tach (or AC dash tach) may have lied. Turning a L37 to 7000 rpm with any frequency would have scattered parts - hp was rated @ 5600!
The solid lifter 396/375 hp L78 that came later in Camaros, Novas, and Chevelles made power to 6000+ with headers, jetting and correct timing.

FWIW I was a GM technician trained on the performance models working at Chevrolet dealerships in the day, and fixed my share of hp big block 396/402 and 427/454 that were thrashed into basket cases by their owners

My dislike of 7.62 x 39 is simple and everlasting. I was on the wrong end of rifles firing that round, a long time ago in a land far away. Just the sound of an AK cycling on select fire causes me to revisit memories I would rather forget. Just my humble opinion.

My dislike of 7.62 x 39 is simple and everlasting. I was on the wrong end of rifles firing that round, a long time ago in a land far away. Just the sound of an AK cycling on select fire causes me to revisit memories I would rather forget. Just my humble opinion.

Thank-You, for your service sir!

I'm sorry you still have to live with it.:(

I saw on TV that there is now an AK being 100% produced in the USA and it does not feature the 'cheap' metal stamping but the original machining.
A lot more Soviet AKs were made with metal stamping than machined from billet.

The early ones were machined because they didn't have the tooling and presses/etc. to make the stampings.

The machined receivers are also significantly heavier.

The best AKs in the world, the Valmets and the Galils, are mostly stamped receivers.

These are not finely made machines meant to shoot the gonads off a fruit fly at a 1000 meters, they are supposed to be inexpensive easily and quickly made robust infantry weapons for peasants who have never handled machinery before. They accomplish that. Their reliability and durability exceed almost any other infantry rifle even to this day.

As for effective range, ignoring the trajectory, a 125 grain projectile at 1100 fps is still plenty deadly at 500 meters - more deadly than a 9x19mm 125 projectile from a Glock 26 at 25 meters IMO.

Can you hit anything at that distance with an AK in 7.62x39?

I used to be able to, offhand, about 50% of the time, hit a full size silhouette target with a spotter. I would want to be out in the open at 500 meters with someone shooting at me with an AK if they had practiced at that range and knew what they were doing - but personally, I would usually let them get at least half that distance closer before opening fire if I had a choice.

The Turbo charged 4 banger handle is pretty close when talking .223/5.56mm

BUT to call a 7.62 X 39 a Big Block is a screaming out loud joke.

At best a 7.62 X 39 is a Slant six

You want a Big Block your talking 30-06 / 8mm Mauser

keeping in the Military line

Oh and for those wondering .50BMG is the CAT DIESEL

The 66 Chevelle Super Sport came with a 396 as did all Super Sport Chevelles 65-73

'66s got detuned 396s rated at 325 bhp in base Turbo-Jet guise and 360 bhp in optional L34 form.

My 66 Chevelle came with a 327 as did the 67 I had as a kid.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top