JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was just wondering and hadn't seen it yet...

Does .223/5.56 come in hollow points? I know it's easy to find 7.62 on them but wasn't sure if .223 was the same way.

Does .223/5.56 come in hollow points? I know it's easy to find 7.62 on them but wasn't sure if .223 was the same way.

Yes.

A2235HPN.jpg

Just one example of many.

can also be gotten in tracer, steel penetrator, depleted uranium penetrator* (military only*- not available to civilian or law enforcement), FMJ, soft tip, etc.

I saw on TV that there is now an AK being 100% produced in the USA and it does not feature the 'cheap' metal stamping but the original machining.
The original AK was machined, but the Soviets wanted a rifle that could be mass produced faster (in war time production makes a difference), so they used stamped metal. A *lot* of good AKs are made from stamped metal.

As pointed out, it certainly does, but I would beware of cheap imported ammo that is HP - some of that will not expand just because it is HP, sometimes all they do is make the same projectile as FMJ but with the HP - the lead (or sometimes steel) core is just as hard, and the jacket is just as hard and thick. I.E., it isn't really designed for self-defense or hunting, so before you buy in bulk or use it for either purpose, try it out on some medium.

80's or 90's big block? 79 was the end of the line.

Oh yay. SKS is a cheep piece of @rap.
I would probably agree with the commercial SKS like Norinco for the most part that flooded the market in 80s and 90s, although when you factor in price point I can see why they sold a lot of them.

I have a Chicom Type 56 with importation papers from Vietnam that was manufactured in 1956. I have shot the holy daylights out of it and I have never (and I mean never) had a FTF or FTE and would be comfortable carrying it in combat. That being said, I still prefer the 5.56 NATO round and the M-16 for a bunch of other reasons.

I think Riot's assessment (post #9) of the two rounds is one of the very best I have ever read.

Look up Arak-21. That might end this debate
Not really - because it is neither AR or AK.

Plus, it is only available in 5.56 or .300 Blackout, not 7.62x39. While .300 Blackout is roughly equivalent to 7.62x39 ballistics, it is nowhere near as popular, with regards to retail or private ownership availability as 7.62x39.

It has a lot of the features and design of the AK, but shares almost no parts (if any) with it that I can tell. It runs on the AR lower, but again, it shares very few parts with it (except for the lower). It is a hybrid, but loses the ability to swap out many critical parts with the two most common self-defense rifles in the USA.

Beyond that, there are other piston uppers for the AR already out there.

That said, and keeping those things in mind, I really like it (especially the adjustable gas) and thanks for sharing - I did not know this was available and I will have to check it out in detail. Speaking of which, the website sucks - hard to find any written info on what they actually offer.

Mostly just some photo galleries. I had to dig to find a photocopied version of their product brochure in a PDF. In short, they really need to redesign their website, not informative at all. It is a sad fact of life that most products I am interested in I find more info on them via third party websites than on the website of the manufacturer.

Tavors look cool. The guy next to me at the last cleanup had one and it was impressive.

On my budget though, I'd have to give up 2-4 guns just to come up with the scratch to buy one :(.

A bullpup design would be a huge advantage for clearing rooms and close quarter combat; I think of it more as an offensive weapon. I think if one were "camping out" as the vid kids say, anything that slings large amounts of lead in a controlled manner would be a good option for defense.

Tavors look cool. The guy next to me at the last cleanup had one and it was impressive.

On my budget though, I'd have to give up 2-4 guns just to come up with the scratch to buy one :(.

A bullpup design would be a huge advantage for clearing rooms and close quarter combat; I think of it more as an offensive weapon. I think if one were "camping out" as the vid kids say, anything that slings large amounts of lead in a controlled manner would be a good option for defense.
I am admittedly a big fan of bullpups having owned and shot a number of them.

Given that the Tavor can be had for $1700, for some people like me, this puts it in a price range competitive to a high end AR considering the fact that it is a tactical bullpup (a feature I am willing to pay extra for) - certainly competitive with other military bullpups like the AUG or FN-F2000.

I can afford it, but already having my self-defense rifles, I have higher priority items I need to pay for first (not to mention I have incurred some significant expenses this year on property improvements and will spend quite a bit more money before the year is out), so unless there is a sudden reason to buy one, or my AR-50 sells, I will hold off on getting one for now.

I tend to try not to spend more money on guns that I don't absolutely need, unless I sell some that I don't really need and/or haven't shot, or there is a deal I can't pass up.

Its the deals I can't pass up that get me in trouble with the wife :D

I used to have that problem too. I earned all the money and complained about how I chose to spend it, so she spent it for me - all of it, and then some.

I came up with an excellent solution - the wife was converted to an EX-wife. :D

I am now much happier and just as important, I am solvent.

I kid about the wife ;). I'm better off with this one then without for a whole mess of reasons.

I've see that clip. Wish we had hogs up here to hunt. Might have to go visit the kinfolk down south and set up a hunt n BBQ weekend:rolleyes:.

If I do, I'll most likely not take the sks over my brush gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top