JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

.44 Magnum viable self-defense cartridge, yea or nay?

• Yes, with the proper loads, and training, it is a fine option.

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • Maybe. Not my first choice, but certainly could work for some.

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • Borderline, at best.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • No. It is not a good choice for self-defense.

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • I only really use automatics and the few self-loaders in .44 Mag are all a no-go.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Well, do ya punk?

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Um, eh ... (burp) wut? Ah, I jus' cracked a can of Colt 45. That count?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Shooting accurately IS the most crucial aspect self defense shooting. I made no correlation between the situations experienced in target shooting and self defense. I discussed the detrimental effect that recoil has on any human being and it occurs whether sights are employed or not.

Assigning obviously ridiculous comparisons to a contributor when none were presented is less than productive to any conversation.
No. You might think that you're going to have time and space to calmly bring up a nice sight picture and disconnect some nerve at the other end. What youre really going to have is about a half second to fumble for your gun while backing up while your vision suddenly goes into tunnel mode and adrenaline makes all your plans into worthless drivel. Your mouth will get really dry really quick and your heart will feel like its trying to crawl out of your throat. . You'll have to hit a one foot wide target plus or minus two feet at less than 20 feet away in two seconds or less while that target is shooting back . You aren't going to be conscious of flinching or anything other than trying not to wet your pants. A little recoil isn't going to be on the lists of concerns. When you hear of cops firing 20-30 rounds and not hitting anything vital that is why.

They own 'em, carry 'em and can't shoot 'em worth a damn, believing (as some do here) that power will save the day.

Or, perhaps ego figures in to a measurable degree, and in some cases may actually be the sole motivation for what is a poor choice for their abilities.

Discussing hunting handguns with a (actually "the") World Champion handgun shooter some years back, he talked about avoiding any practicing or shooting with the heavy recoiling hunting calibers (i.e.: .44 Magnum) in proximity to a competition date (with lesser cartridges of course). It was specifically detrimental to his scores.

Thus putting the lie (along with controlled experiments) to ego-trippers who claim, "Recoil doesn't bother me at all.", and "I don't ever flinch."

The best in the world knows better.
And then the fail is exacerbated by using unsuitable ammunition. For generations to include to today, plebes load up the commonest 240gr JHP that is so heavily constructed it acts as a FMJ on anything but a cape buffalo's horn boss.
When a peripheral hit on a threat fails to be instantly vaporized they squeak like a little girl, poop their pants and wonder why they have been forsaken.

No. You might think that you're going to have time and space to calmly bring up a nice sight picture and disconnect some nerve at the other end. What youre really going to have is about a half second to fumble for your gun while backing up while your vision suddenly goes into tunnel mode and adrenaline makes all your plans into worthless drivel. Your mouth will get really dry really quick and your heart will feel like its trying to crawl out of your throat. . You'll have to hit a one foot wide target plus or minus two feet at less than 20 feet away in two seconds or less while that target is shooting back . You aren't going to be conscious of flinching or anything other than trying not to wet your pants. A little recoil isn't going to be on the lists of concerns. When you hear of cops firing 20-30 rounds and not hitting anything vital that is why.
Gee! So realistic, it was like I was actually there!

...or it was lifted from an Andy Griffith episode where Barney describes being a "Lawman". Put a sideways sniff of the nostril at the end and you've got it.

Sure, ballistically it works, but you're either talking about a finicky Desert Eagle or a limited capacity revolver. Not good choices. Then it's paired with high recoil. In the end, I'd recommend 30 SC or 9mm, personally.

Gioven pretty much all self defense shooting is under what? 10 yards I dont see why it would be an issue for anyone that can pull a trigger
Because they still have to be able to hit what they shoot "at". I have lost track of how many people who "told me" how good they shot that when we got to the range could not stay on paper at 30ft. This is paper that is not moving and not shooting back. Almost every time I go to the range I am a member of I see people who have trouble staying on paper even at 20ft.An AMAZING number of people seem to buy a gun, take it out to shoot, when they can't hit paper just take it home and expect it to "save them". :confused:

I know you are joking but, an amazing number of people still to this day believe that happens when someone is shot. :confused:
Joking?

Im still of the opinion that you carry a gun you are comfortable with. If its a 44 mag its a 44 mag. If its a 9mm its a 9mm. Assuming that someone else doesn't know how to shoot because they carry a caliber you are not comfortable with is absurd.

I carried a BUG .44 for years, and even needed to use it a few times, it's VERY effective if you can connect a shot to a tango, much more so then the wimpy 9mm issue we had! I think the ammo was a Fed. 240 gr. hollow point truckin along at around 1300 FPS+ from a 6 inch Dan Wesson M-15, and while not a light weight pistol, it was sure a comfort to have on the belt along with a pair of speed loaders. YES, the .44 can be an excellent choice, hell, that was the gold standard pistol caliber in the days before semi autos were ever even dreamed of, look at how many different pistols and versions of the .44 were available pre 1900!
These days, I still carry a .44 or .45 Colt as a BUG, it just makes sense in the instances where I might need more then my Semi Auto is capable of, and that includes 2 legged predators in urban settings! I'm still looking for a nice light weight 4 incher in .44 Mag, would make for a nifty and more discrete option!

Too heavy.
Too loud.
Too much penetration.
Too few rounds.
Too much exposure in litigation and the press.
Too many better choices.

But if you want to carry a 44mag that is your business. If you shoot someone with it I won't say "I told you so"... it wouldn't do any good because you wouldn't be able to hear me, or anyone else, anyway.

mps03754-medium-jpg.jpg

.45 acp is my carry round of choice but I often carry smaller cartridges.

Last Edited:
Don't be so sure about the joking part. It dovetails right in with believing one does not have to be comfortable and skilled with their defense gun.
Youre the one spouting off about shooters of 44 mag not being comfortable with them. Im saying they wouldn't be carrying them if they weren't comfortable with them.

I think the Eli Dickens shooting incident highlights that accuracy is more critical than draw speed from a holster in most self-defense situations. I don't think Eli was concerned at all about his draw speed or using too small of a caliber handgun.
Certainly, there are instances where it is good to have a fast draw

Youre the one spouting off about shooters of 44 mag not being comfortable with them. Im saying they wouldn't be carrying them if they weren't comfortable with them.
Once again: They ARE carrying them, despite their discomfort and nearly universal inability to shoot them well, because they believe they CAN shoot them, and failing that, they wrongly believe that the power will make up for any errors as a result of their lack of skill with them.

Most of the ardent aficionados of the cartridge that I have met and shot with (including the only two I have witnessed as excellent shootists with the cartridge powered as it was designed) are wise enough to choose something else...something they honestly recognize as more manageable...when selecting a defense weapon.

@Alexx1401 described perfectly a scenario it sounds like he's seen (as I have) more than once: shooters at the range with a gun they have not learned to manage. And they put it away and expect it to bail them out when the time comes. I don't "assume" a .44 Magnum owner cannot shoot his gun well. I am fascinated and enthralled when I've watched the men that actually can. I'd like to meet and watch more, but in my life they have been few and far between. Precisely two.

The OP's question as I interpreted it was not, "Is a .44 Magnum a good defense weapon for you?" I took it toward questioning the cartridge itself as a good defense choice in the general sense and for most all shooters. In that way my answers recognized that some newer shooters might be the audience, and attracted to the cartridge's legendary factual and fictional reputation.

In my experience, It is a very rare shooter that can master it.

Once again: They ARE carrying them, despite their discomfort and nearly universal inability to shoot them well, because they believe they CAN shoot them, and failing that, they wrongly believe that the power will make up for any errors as a result of their lack of skill with them.

Most of the ardent aficionados of the cartridge that I have met and shot with (including the only two I have witnessed as excellent shootists with the cartridge powered as it was designed) are wise enough to choose something else...something they honestly recognize as more manageable...when selecting a defense weapon.

@Alexx1401 described perfectly a scenario it sounds like he's seen (as I have) more than once: shooters at the range with a gun they have not learned to manage. And they put it away and expect it to bail them out when the time comes. I don't "assume" a .44 Magnum owner cannot shoot his gun well. I am fascinated and enthralled when I've watched the men that actually can. I'd like to meet and watch more, but in my life they have been few and far between. Precisely two.

The OP's question as I interpreted it was not, "Is a .44 Magnum a good defense weapon for you?" I took it toward questioning the cartridge itself as a good defense choice in the general sense and for most all shooters. In that way my answers recognized that some newer shooters might be the audience, and attracted to the cartridge's legendary factual and fictional reputation.

In my experience, It is a very rare shooter that can master it.
Thats a bunch of crap. You are projecting YOURE inability to manage the caliber.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top