JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with the premise of doing so. However unless its a felony that caused that discharge does this mean that those whom were DD are held on a higher contempt then civilian felons?
Because I know for a fact once DD, you are not coming back from that from what I have read up on it is
a huge under taking and even then it can be decades or more, meanwhile most felons can have their records expunged after 10 years. I am not sure I approve of this if its a blanket any DD for life ban.

That for the record in no means is saying I think DD deserve a break for getting a DD.
I am looking at it in the case of my post from a comparison point of view strictly !

Unless things have changed, the only way to get a DD is after a General Court Marshall. And the only thing that leads to a General is would be a Felony in Civilian Life. From what I've seen the Military is handing out other Discharges like trading cards with bubble gum.

Unless things have changed, the only way to get a DD is after a General Court Marshall. And the only thing that leads to a General is would be a Felony in Civilian Life. From what I've seen the Military is handing out other Discharges like trading cards with bubble gum.
That good to know..

My understanding was in the 80's it was really hard to get a less than honorable discharge. If you did, it was not really a big deal as long as it was not a DD. My step daughter's husband got General Discharge a few years ago, It really screwed him. Heard a bunch of excuses and murmurings of domestic assault. Not sure of all the details. He managed to get it upgraded to Honorable, but he still has no gun rights.

My understanding was in the 80's it was really hard to get a less than honorable discharge. If you did, it was not really a big deal as long as it was not a DD. My step daughter's husband got General Discharge a few years ago, It really screwed him. Heard a bunch of excuses and murmurings of domestic assault. Not sure of all the details. He managed to get it upgraded to Honorable, but he still has no gun rights.

Interesting, my father in law who was a Vietnam Vet passed two years ago, got screwed with a less then dishonorable. He served one tour over sees came home for 6 months and his brother got drafted he went in an served a second under his brother name. He was the oldest son and chose that course so even though he manned up twice and he got a Less than Honorable when they found out 3 months before his 2nd tour ended. Due to all the issues back then his brother was not charged.

He sat down one day and told me a bunch of stuff he went thru over there, I was the first person he ever told about how bad it was. But none the less he went back for a 2nd tour.
He died having been exposed to Agent Orange fought until the day he died to get an honorable.
The Military did pay for most all his medical it was a complicated mess. But was F**ked he did not get buried with honors.

I look at his service and never thought anything but honorable service, I thank God for men like him.
I know he did it for his family and most likely died from exposure because of it.:s0160:

Interesting, my father in law who was a Vietnam Vet passed two years ago, got screwed with a less then dishonorable. He served one tour over sees came home for 6 months and his brother got drafted he went in an served a second under his brother name. He was the oldest son and chose that course so even though he manned up twice and he got a Less than Honorable when they found out 3 months before his 2nd tour ended. Due to all the issues back then his brother was not charged.

He sat down one day and told me a bunch of stuff he went thru over there, I was the first person he ever told about how bad it was. But none the less he went back for a 2nd tour.
He died having been exposed to Agent Orange fought until the day he died to get an honorable.
The Military did pay for most all his medical it was a complicated mess. But was F**ked he did not get buried with honors.

I look at his service and never thought anything but honorable service, I thank God for men like him.
I know he did it for his family and most likely died from exposure because of it.:s0160:
Amen, brother.
Honor.
Brotherhood.
Loyalty.

An Other-Than-Honorable discharge can be anything from medical to just washing-out, it's not considered punative.
LTH, or Bad Conduct Discharge can stem from a Summary court martial and usually follows some level of incarceration... think: dereliction of duty or what would be a civilian misdemeanor.
To get a DD you really need to hurt someone or cause some damage... felonious acts, treason, espionage.
The question is right there on the 4473, a "yes" answer is a disqualification.
I'm not sure about this "list" though. If the Sutherland Springs church killer got a Big Chicken Dinner for smacking around his wife and kid he still wouldn't be prohibited on that alone (the BCD). The domestic violence nature of his crimes would be the prohibiting factor.

Last Edited:
I would think mouthing off is not grounds for DD, but in your day things were different.

funny story actually. I was on night watch. He was on the phone with his wife, which he wasn't supposed to be doing and drinking a Mtn Dew. I was spitting in a mtn dew can. You can see where this is going. I warned him and told him that I had tore the tab off to make sure he didn't grab the wrong one. Well he did and then spit all over the floor. which I would have done myself but he wanted me to clean the crap up. Thats when I told him to go :D

I was treating a soldier with a possible skull fracture. When A slightly drunk 2nd LT. jumped in and helped by raising his legs, and treating for shock.

I told the Lt. I was a medic and this man has a broken skull. Don't raise his legs.
He told me he new what he was doing and to step aside.

Really? I said.

Then I grabbed the Buzzed SOB LT. by the shirt. Looked deep in his eyes. And assured him I was about to kick his azz across this parking lot. If he touched my patient again.

Next morning I was standing in front of a Full bird Colonel. And he was angry! :D

If it had not been for a Captain, who was our post DR. Siding with me.
And telling the Colonel I likely saved the mans life. And the LT could have killed the soldier or given him brain damage. I would have gone down in flames.

It was that kind of Chicken chit that caused me to get out. o_O

I was treating a soldier with a possible skull fracture. When A slightly drunk 2nd LT. jumped in and helped by raising his legs, and treating for shock.

I told the Lt. I was a medic and this man has a broken skull. Don't raise his legs.
He told me he new what he was doing and to step aside.

Really? I said.

Then I grabbed the Buzzed SOB LT. by the shirt. Looked deep in his eyes. And assured him I was about to kick his azz across this parking lot. If he touched my patient again.

Next morning I was standing in front of a Full bird Colonel. And he was angry! :D

If it had not been for a Captain, who was our post DR. Siding with me.
And telling the Colonel I likely saved the mans life. And the LT could have killed the soldier or given him brain damage. I would have gone down in flames.

It was that kind of Chicken chit that caused me to get out. o_O

Yep sounds about right! I never could figure out how the absolute dumbest SOB's became officers! And they want us to follow them into battle?!o_O

I broke the all-time scholastic record in Aviation Electronics school. But when I graduated and got to my new unit, they put me on galley duty for six months and then some other pissant duty for another six months before being assigned to the electronics shop and finally getting flight duty. Ruined my attitude for the rest of my obligation. One of the Chiefs came to me and complained after I put in for discharge, I ran it down for him and he agreed that things needed to change. Too late for me tho. Dumb azzes!!

10 years later, I offered to go back in and teach at the A school... they offered me E3... uh, no...dumb azzes!!!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top