JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
34 pounds of trash or treasure, I'm not sure yet??

A while back a good friend called and said he has rescued a rifle from the scrap yard. He knows I'm intrigued by the unusual and unique gun items so he called me asking if I would want to buy it. When I asked him to describe it he stammered and stuttered and said BIG!

The next day I went over to his place and on the floor laid the beast. I must say it took me some time to wrap my head around this gun. He told me there were a few markings on the barrel but that was about it. It reads;

JANSON 219 WASP

DOUGLAS – TIMKIN 2 FIFIELD

3-10-60

After some time I believe that "JANSON" was the person it was built for. 219 WASP is the .219 Donaldson Wasp which is the caliber since there were some loaded rounds with it. This is where it gets tricky! Douglas - Timkin 2 Fifeld. All those are known family name but the last two are not very common to say the least. So maybe he built it and gave it to Fifield?? Who know after 62 years but 3-10-60 is the build date.

It is definitely a one off unique build. The rifle weighs in at 34 pounds. The receiver is attached to the stock with several bolts at the bottom. The bolt is unique as you slip a round into the shell holder style end and slide it into place to fire it. It was setup for a Unertl style old school target scope as you can see. I've tried over one year to find out more about this rifle but with no success.

It is definitely an early Benchrest – rail gun. The reloading kit that came with it is not pictured. But from that it appeared that the owner loaded a round at the bench, and then reloaded the same brass over and over.

Regardless, I'm glad it didn't end up at the scrap yard and someday I will mount one of my Unertl scopes on it and give a test drive.

Mark Sr

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last Edited:
Another shellholder action:

Bruce

What I could find. Don't know if this is a lead or not.

The links are to old "atf.gov" download files (ones a spread sheet the other is a text file) showing info possibly related to your rifle.
A Google search of "FIFIELD CUSTOM RIFLES" gives a few more links that may provide more info.

FIFIELD, FRANKLIN GLEN FIFIELD CUSTOM RIFLES 420 DAKOTA AVE LIBBY MT 59923 420 DAKOTA AVE LIBBY MT 59923 4062936506

XLS file

"FIFIELD, FRANKLIN G" FIFIELD CUSTOM RIFLES 803 NORTH FORK KEELER TROY MT 59935 803 NORTH FORK KEELER TROY MT 59935 4062954784

TXT file

I really need to watch where I step, frigging rabat holes... :s0001:

Looks like the "DOUGLAS – TIMKIN 2" may be a reference to Timken steel

post 15 "heavy Douglas barrel (marked Timken Steel)"

link to post 15

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show