JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That was an assumption on my part, of course. Hand loading is the only way to go for any of these. 300H&H has been around alomost 100 years, whereas the other magnums, at the oldest, around half as long. Lotsa guns out there chambered for it, and actually only a little harder to find ammo for than a 300 WM.

Pick up your speer book(or any other) the 300 H&H delivers better velocities with less powder, powder for powder, bullet for bullet, apples to apples. In spite of it's tapered case it is still one of the most efficent cases out there. It also relies on the belt for headspace, not the shoulder like all of the others mentioned here. Full length resizing not needed, brass lasts longer.

I also have to point out that the 300 Win Mag has many more ammo choices available.
That said, I am a handloader and have a soft spot for the 300 H&H. By handloading you can make loads that will leave the 300 Win Mag lagging a bit. I'd not hesitate to have a 300 H&H in my gun rack.

If you compare cases the 338 and 7mm look to be the same other than the neck. The 300 win mag is larger. I'm a novice on large magnums but it looks like the 300 win mag could be much more powerful than the 338.

Ah but looks can be deceiving slingshot! Using IMR7828 and loading a 200 grain bullet in my .300 win that I gave to my "bestest" friend, a compressed load is 75 grs. with a muzzle velocity 2856 FPS. Using this same powder and loading the .338, the case will take 81 grs. for a muzzle velocity of 2882 FPS. While this is considered a "Max" load, the cartridge is not yet compressed, while this is close enough to be just splitting hairs at this point, one can work a little higher with the .338 from here, I don't any longer, but one could,, USE CAUTION!
The .200 grain bullet is about the top end for the .300 win mag due to diminishing returns, but is the kick off point for the .338
with choices up to 275 grains. Using the same load of 75 grs of IMR 7828, one can achieve a MV of 2600 FPS. with a 275 grain bullet.
In my humble opinion, an Elk hit solidly with either of these fine cartridges is dead pretty much where he stands, and both have excellent attributes. John.

I am also considering the caliber for Alaskan bear defense so power matters. I am not going to be hunting the big doggies but I want to come home intact

I am also considering the caliber for Alaskan bear defense so power matters. I am not going to be hunting the big doggies but I want to come home intact

What are you going to be hunting up there Blitzkrieg? The .338 was my drug of choice when I lived up there. If hunting Caribou, the 200 gr. will do everything you ask it to. If it's Moose, same thing here also, they don't seem to require as much lead as our Elk do down here, but can still be tough, and dangerous. One can always chamber a 200 gr. and then leave the rest as .250 gr. as a back up. Use the best bullets available, but I don't need to tell you that. I'm kind of fond of Nosler partitions, or partition golds and have never had an issue with them.

These debates really come down to experience and preference. As much as I enjoy comparing ballistics and looking at long-range performance, shot placement is going to be the only real factor when looking at the differences. An elk will be no more dead from a .338WM than a .300WM. I agree with the folks who put the emphasis on bullet options and OTS availability. But, both calibers can be had off the shelf if you're willing to shell (no pun intended) out the cash. The .338 WM is a little harder on the shoulder and, depending on barrel twist, eat up to 300gr bullets. .338 bullets also have higher BC offerings than .300s. With that said, most people get fixated on the BC and 500+yard performance of a bullet. Yet, they never will take a shot (nor should they when hunting) much past 300 yards. But, what do I know? I'm the newby.

What are you going to be hunting up there Blitzkrieg? The .338 was my drug of choice when I lived up there. If hunting Caribou, the 200 gr. will do everything you ask it to. If it's Moose, same thing here also, they don't seem to require as much lead as our Elk do down here, but can still be tough, and dangerous. One can always chamber a 200 gr. and then leave the rest as .250 gr. as a back up. Use the best bullets available, but I don't need to tell you that. I'm kind of fond of Nosler partitions, or partition golds and have never had an issue with them.

Moose, elk and lesser critters would be my targets as well as fishing of course. Nosler Partitions look good

Well since I just bought that tikka 338 win mag on here,I say the 338 is the best.

Now do I take the scope off the rifle I'm giving to my kid,or keep the package together? (3X9 vxIII)

One needs to weigh it out a little Mjbskwim, which do you like better, the kid or the scope? Some rifle/scope combos are like a good marriage that should come with a "let no man come between them" clause;)
Besides, that's about as good of an excuse as a man could ever need to go pick up that one scope that you have been eyeballing! I can hear it now,,, well huuuuuney, you know I gave my other one to the kid, and this one really fits my new one so much better than the other ever would:s0131:

mjbskwim, if it doesnt allready have one on it, put a good quality recoil pad on it. i put a decellerator on mine, and it is much more comfortable to shoot. mine is a ruger and had that hard rubber butt pad. it was a real butt kicker before.

One needs to weigh it out a little Mjbskwim, which do you like better, the kid or the scope? Some rifle/scope combos are like a good marriage that should come with a "let no man come between them" clause;)
Besides, that's about as good of an excuse as a man could ever need to go pick up that one scope that you have been eyeballing! I can hear it now,,, well huuuuuney, you know I gave my other one to the kid, and this one really fits my new one so much better than the other ever would:s0131:

Hahahaha

Only thing is,my dogs don't care what I do or buy hehehehe

If he was able to buy his own,I would keep the scope.But if I keep it,he will never shoot the gun.
Unless he wins the lottery

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads