JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just out of curiosity. Which would you choose for Bear and Elk, and why?
I'm not interested in anyone saying that both, or either are overkill and the choice of those that exchange bullet placement for performance. What I would like to hear are the experiences from those that use either, and why.
Thanks. John.

Personally I would go with the 300, better choice of bullets, from 100 grain burners to 220 grain for a lot of knockdown up close. I've had both shot more deer with the 338, didn't tear up much meat. Either one is an excellent choice for elk, I would still go with the 300 for bear for the reach, In case you see a bear way out in a berry patch in the middle of a unit. I currently shoot a 300 weatherby, and the only bear I killed was with a 338. The only Elk I killed with a rifle was with a 7mm mag. Killed more elk than I can count with a bow. So honestly either is a great choice. Just get a rifle that fits you well, and you can't go wrong with either one.

From Chuck Hawks
338 Lapua
I have seen reloading data that indicates that a 250 grain bullet can be driven at a MV of 3000 fps with ME of 4995 ft. lbs. from the .338 Lapua. Lapua factory loads drive a 250 grain Lock Base soft point bullet at a MV of 2974 fps or a 275 grain A-Frame bullet at a MV of 2581 fps. The 8.58x71mm military load uses a 250 grain spitzer-boat tail FMJ bullet at a MV of 2950 fps with muzzle energy (ME) of 4830 ft. lbs. This round is considered effective for sniping at 1500 meters!

338 win mag wiki
This cartridge is able to push a 225 grain (14.58g) bullet to velocities of 2,800 ft/s (853.44 m/s), generating 3,918 ft·lbf (5258 J),[4] providing energy values at 200 yards that are roughly equivalent to the .30-06 Springfield's energy values[5] at muzzle. Bullets are available in a very wide range of designs and weights ranging from 160 to 300 grains. SAAMI pressure level is 64,000 p.s.i.

wiki on the 300 win mag (3597 fp energy at muzzle0
The Winchester’s factory ammunition for the .300 Winchester Magnum is capable of 3,260 feet per second (990 m/s) with the 150-grain (9.7 g) bullet and 3,000 ft/s (910 m/s) with the 180-grain (12 g) bullet. The maximum point blank range for the 150 gr (9.7 g) bullet is 318 yards (291 m) yards when zeroed at 270 yards (250 m). The maximum point blank range for the 180 gr (12 g) bullet is 300 yards when zeroed at 254 yards (232 m). The ability to zero the .300 Winchester Magnum and shoot without hold over to 300 yards (270 m) makes the cartridge one of the flatter shooting cartridges.

The 338 is an Elk varmit rifle. Today getting a tag and being alone is hard to do, if you see an Elk anchoring it where you see it means you will probably keep it. The animal can take an amazing amount of punishment and travel for long distances. The 338 is what I use, have killed at least 10 Elk with it. I use the 210 nosler partition. All of my family uses a 338, makes for 4 in my hunting group. I have had members in my group use from 270 up to 340 weatherby, I once used a 375HH, the 338 is by far my favorite. I have tracked wounded Elk hit with lesser power. There is no substitute for bullet placement, but the power of the 338 makes for fast dropping power. I once shot from the right rear quarter in front of the rear leg through the gut clear to the left front shoulder, the bullet passed through the gut, liver, lung, ribs, shoulder and was logded under the skin on the offside. The bullet stayed together, did little damge to the guts, really tore up the liver, blew through the ribs,and broke the left offside shoulder. The large six point Elk dropped. There will be peole who can and have used almost every flavor of caliber to shoot Elk, they have had great success and have a valid point when they say what they use works. I have and will continue to use the 338 for my Elk round.
You won't regret the choice.

Just my 2 cents

Jim

If bigger is better, one might just as well go up to the .375 Winchester Magnum. I think it's called 375/338 among other various names, although I've found it easier to make them out of 458 WM cases.

1 vote for the .338. i load and shoot 200 gr hornady interlocks at an advertised 2905 ft/s never on a chronny. the only complaints so far are from my right shoulder.

If bigger is better, one might just as well go up to the .375 Winchester Magnum. I think it's called 375/338 among other various names, although I've found it easier to make them out of 458 WM cases.

Why go for a wild cat when Remington makes a 338 ultra mag with ammo off the shelf? The bigger is better quote is true to a point, in my "opinion" which is what was stated before when a 338 wm is used the bigger is better has been achieved, going bigger than this is useful as dead is dead but I don't think the Elk will drop any faster. The 338 wm is enough to get the job done.
Hell go for the 458 lott, or my favorite canyon rifle 50BMG, the 50 will drop Elk like magic, it is not needed but it is fun. The 338 is the perfect all around big game North American cartridge.
Just like the 375HH is one of the best African cartridges, it has a long a nd storied history. The 338 is to North America as the 375HH is to African game, the perfect match in size, ballists, and recoil.

Jim

All good rounds,but, I would still go back to the grandaddy of them all, the 300H&H. Still an excellent performer, still suitable for almost anything but big bruins. You can always open it up to 300 weatherby. BTW I'm still trying to find the right buy on one.

All good rounds,but, I would still go back to the grandaddy of them all, the 300H&H. Still an excellent performer, still suitable for almost anything but big bruins. You can always open it up to 300 weatherby. BTW I'm still trying to find the right buy on one.

Yes, but unless you handload this beauty, you will have less than the 300 Win Mag velocities and not much more than the recent 30-06 ammo. Plus, the 300 H&H is not easy to find ammo for.

Yes, but unless you handload this beauty, you will have less than the 300 Win Mag velocities and not much more than the recent 30-06 ammo. Plus, the 300 H&H is not easy to find ammo for.

That was an assumption on my part, of course. Hand loading is the only way to go for any of these. 300H&H has been around alomost 100 years, whereas the other magnums, at the oldest, around half as long. Lotsa guns out there chambered for it, and actually only a little harder to find ammo for than a 300 WM.

Pick up your speer book(or any other) the 300 H&H delivers better velocities with less powder, powder for powder, bullet for bullet, apples to apples. In spite of it's tapered case it is still one of the most efficent cases out there. It also relies on the belt for headspace, not the shoulder like all of the others mentioned here. Full length resizing not needed, brass lasts longer.

I am a fan of the big .30 cal. I like the trajectory for longer shots. I use the .300 Weatherby with a 200gr Nosler. Big difference between a 7mm and a 300 mag hit.
Note: That 200 gr Nosler @3000fps yields 4000 ftlbs of energy!

If you reload then the .300 has a far better range of bullets available. I am looking at a BAR in the caliber (WM) for an Alaskan gun

why the 30 caliber is (in any cartridge) is a better choice, flexibility. I think the BAR is the only auto loader out there for magnums, an excellent choice.

I've taken many Elk with these calibers, and all are fine cartridges. I have passed on my .30 win mag M-70 to my oldest "bestest" friend and have handed down my .338 Governor's edition ranger custom to my 145 LBS. daughter. She fly's my .250 gr. hand loads like an old hand and has taken three Elk consecutively with it, all have taken no more than a couple of steps. As jake2far pointed out, "Today getting a tag and being alone is hard to do, if you see an Elk anchoring it where you see it means you will probably keep it" and I have a lot of faith in the above calibers.
We live and hunt out of the back door out here on the coast, yes there are those "across the draw" 400 yard shots that come up, but far and away the vast majority are a bunch closer than that. My all time favorite round is the venerable .30-06, but were not talking about it, or those that were spawned by this cartridge at this time. We all have our reasons for picking the caliber that we do, and all are valid. I now throw slivers at Elk, but still have a passion for rifles. I have been fortunate enough to have hunted in every state on the left coast, and have enjoyed every moment in doing so. The load that Chainsaw refers to is the reason that I hand load. There is so much more that could be said about either of these fine cartridges, but all things being equal, both are excellent choices. Thanks for the reply's.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top