JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can anyone give me some idea of why they prefer one rifle over the other? Not just "it's cooler looking", but more like features and capabilities. I'm looking at AR-10, PTR-91, G3 (I think that is the right one), FNAR and anything else of similar type in a .308 only. Price is a consideration but not the main one. What do you look at when deciding between these?

What are you wanting to use it for? Precision work? More traditional battle rifle role? Answering that might help narrow down your options.

I personally prefer AR pattern rifles. I'd look at something like the LMT MWS or a LaRue OBR or the PredatAR 308 when they are released. Those are the options I'm currently looking at for whenever I have the cash set a side for a semi- .308. Leaning towards a LaRue.

You could also look into a SCAR 17S

All of these are pricey options though, but you say that isn't your main consideration.

Also, you left out the FAL - another good choice. I'd look into one of those before a G3/PTR - not because I don't like the HK design necessarily but I do find the recoil characteristics of them to be excessively violent compared to other options.

M1As have quite the following as well...

Looking for an all around battle rifle that could also work out to 600-700 yards with a good scope. Not a specialized rifle, but one that could do everything reasonably well but out range someone with a .223 or 5.56.

If shooting beyond 500 is going to be what you do most with it I'd opt for a stainless option and at least 18" - Something like an OBR or PredatAR .308 (when they're available). If you foresee running something like an ACOG or lower powered variable scope and intend to use it mostly at closer & intermediate ranges and only occasionally out to 6-700 then a 16" option might well be the way to go - an MWS or SCAR 17 for instance. Regardless, at 6-700 you're going to see a lot more consistent performance out of of a free floated setup like one of the AR types or the SCAR than with something like a G3 or FAL.

As a southpaw, I need to see & handle an RFB in person. That said, it is really hard to take a $1200+ Kel-Tec seriously since most of thier products are not just economical to buy, but very "cheap" feeling.

Several 7.62 NATO rifles on my "must have" list are the FNH SCAR 17 & the LMT .308 MWS. My buddy just bought a LMT and I am looking forward to going to the range w/ him and shooting that bad boy.

Difficult question, we are all a tad bit difference and your idiosyncrasies will have more to do with your choice then my opinion. What would be probably be ideal, is if you can shoot them and play with them before purchase so you can find out what works for you.

from my experience, I would avoid the PTR91 (ptr91 = hk91 = g3, for the most part). They are reliable and mags can be had for next to nothing. But they are the suck to put an optic on, the trigger on the one I had was way heavy, they beat the heck out of the brass (assuming you reload or might want to at some point), and they are rather difficult to put a decent bipod on. If I were to get back into the 308 game, I would probably go AR10. They are easy to put an optic on, mags aren't horribly priced now that magpul is making them, there are more and more aftermarket parts coming about, you can free float the barrel with ease, they have AR15 ergonomics (which I really like personally), and if done right they can hold their out out to 1000yds and give you faster follow up shots than a bolt gun. They are also very modular, so you could have a 16-18" close in barrel with a low power optic, and then have a 22", or so, heavy match grade barrel with custom loads for the long range stuff, or some sort of hybrid of the 2. Only draw back is weight. Even with the lighter barrels, AR10's are heavy guns. Especially when compared to an AR15. But with weight you also get firepower and distance with the 308 cartridge.

I would get an M1A/M14 simply because they are sweet classic guns. Owning one guarantees that you have a man card and cannot be questioned, ever (unless you sell it, then you fail). The RFB would be nice gun for close to intermediate stuff, but I am not a huge fan of bullpups for long range shooting in the prone position. But for running and gunning they are great. FNAR, I think they are ugly so I will probably not get one. That and an AR10 can do everything the FNAR can and then some. FAL's are also cool, but they are a gun that is not the best to put a scope on and their ergonomics are not for everyone.

Go to a gun show, pick 'em up and try them on. It is the only way I know of to find the rifle that fits. I am an M1A type, my eldest Son was in love with the AR-10 until he picked it up. He ended up with a DSA Stg58, which surprised me. I wouldn't have guessed it would fit so well. So try them on - I don't know why it is that so many people put more time into trying on hunting boots than rifles (or, for that matter, handguns). Second half - practice with good ammo that equates to what you will use in the field and do it a lot.

I totally agree that feel is one of the most important factors. If it doesn't feel comfortable when you hold it and shoot it, you will never be really satisfied with it. I don't have a specific price range yet, but would rather not spend more than I have to in order to get the performance I want. In other words, I'm not going to pay more just for a "name". I do like the modularity of the AR-10 platform. The ability to have two different uppers for different purposes is appealing. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. The info has been very helpful.

FAL vs M1A (what's good about it?)

M1A.......better sights, Service Hi Power rifle competition (AR15 has since out shot it), last of the steel and wood generation, manual of operation (close enough to the M1), easy for a knowledgable gunsmith to work on.

FAL........cheap price for a "7.62 battle rifle," "The Free World's Right Arm," cheap magazines compared to the M1A, parts are still cheaply available (but, lots of variations).

I got both.

if you are a prior service member the best thing would be an AR10 or variant because the controls are the same it breaks down the same way parts can be easily found as well as mags. as for the kel tec rfb its un proven but anyone who has held realizes that this is not another plastiky junk piece built by this company its solid enough that i might be inclined to butt stroke you with it if you don't comply a far cry from the m4 m16 series. its not a piece of junk. i plan on getting one here in a few days and will do a torture test in estacada.

Of the .308's that I own, I think I enjoy shooting the MAS 49-56 the most. A little heavy and short, but I enjoy shooting it. However, that being said, on my wish list is the AR-10, and the Springfield M14 or one of the variations of it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top