JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know some people have several rifles in 308. I only have one. It is a Savage model 12. It is designed to be a target rifle. Otherwise it has all the same features as other 308 rifles.
I have yet to find the right load for this rifle. I have tried Berger, Nosler, Barns and Hornaday brands.
I have not found that loading ammo to maximum helps with accuracy. Something in the low 2800 FPS seems to work fairly well, shooting bullets in the 150 to 168 grain weight.

Try the 155gr Lapua Scenar or 175gr Sierra MatchKing. What powders are you using?

***********************************************************************************
Most of the time I use Varget but there are a few others I have tried. I prefer Varget because of the consistant kernel size.

I generally have good luck with Varget. The 155gr Sierra Palma MatchKing is also a winner. Those, and the Scenar, are pretty aerodynamically slick and carry energy very well despite their weight.

Several folks have suggested the Match King Bullets but these are not the Best choice for Hunting. They are fine for Head Shots but those Ain't likely to be had at 350-450 yards unless he's REAL good. If he can stand up on his mind legs and hit an 8" Gong at those distances, then he's REAL good. But it sounds like he's just starting out so...

Another vote for the Barnes light bullet. Years ago I was a speed freek with a 300 Weatherby. Destroyed the front half of an antelope with a light bullet going about 3700 fps. I know a 308 is quite slower but I learned the hard way about bullet performance. Did not have the Barnes TSX around at that time.

Several folks have suggested the Match King Bullets but these are not the Best choice for Hunting. They are fine for Head Shots but those Ain't likely to be had at 350-450 yards unless he's REAL good. If he can stand up on his mind legs and hit an 8" Gong at those distances, then he's REAL good. But it sounds like he's just starting out so...
I am not just starting out. Just starting out with a fun thing to do on my gun. I have other rifles I normally use. This 308 has it been to the range and really I never liked 308 cause its slower than my 3006. I have made 300 yard shot before but not off hand I used a fence post on public land. I dont normally stand in spots with out cover where I'd have to make off hand shots. That's just poor hunting in my opinion. If I'm standing I have a possible rest with in a few steps if need bee. I believe the animal deserves that.

165 grain Speet HotCor. Head shot at 270 yards (laser range finder verified):
20181101_082144.jpg
In one ear and out the other. Picking the head up by the antlers, the skull felt like a bag of broken glass. I am not at home, so I can't provide the load or FPS. Out of a 22" barrel 1963 M99 Savage lever action. I chose the 165 as a general purpose deer/elk load. Umm, no tracking needed lol.

The light fast bullets loose their velocity fast.
You'd be better off with 150.
Get a ballistics calculator and punch the numbers in.
I'd bet the 150 or 168 is as fast or faster at 400 yards than the 110 or 125.
You also Get much More energy and better wind resistance .

Last Edited:
I did do some number crunching on a calculator. With everything the Same other than bullet weight just to make it easier on me 3100fps muzzle velocity. The 125gn at 400yards would be 2090fps and 1213ft$. The 150gb at 400yards 2335fps and 1816ft#. I'd say that's pretty different.

I did do some number crunching on a calculator. With everything the Same other than bullet weight just to make it easier on me 3100fps muzzle velocity. The 125gn at 400yards would be 2090fps and 1213ft$. The 150gb at 400yards 2335fps and 1816ft#. I'd say that's pretty different.
And there is a 2.75" drop difference.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top