Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.30-06 Jams

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by ZigZagZeke, Oct 3, 2011.

1. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Loading a second round on Saturday in order to put down the buck I'd just wounded, my S&W (Howa) 1500 .30-06 would not feed the second round until I jiggled the bolt a couple times. This rifle has done this once or twice in the past. It looks like the 180 gr. Core-Lokt bullets can hang up on the feed ramp due to some small milling marks left on the face of the feed ramp. What's the best way to eliminate this issue?

2. ZigZagZeke

Factory Remington Core-Lokt 180 gr.

3. OR4X4

OR4X4 Hour south of portland Member

polish, smooth, round, or bevel where you see it catching.

4. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

I'd try different ammo first. If the failures continue I'd contact the factory.

At most you're out a phone call and they may just repair it for you for free.

Working on it yourself would be my last choice. The surface angles involved in cartridge feeding are not simple and are easily buggered up.

H

5. skywag

skywag On the Columbia River Active Member

Make sure the loaded cartridges are situated all the way to the rear stop in the magazine.

6. nitestocker

nitestocker woodland washington Well-Known Member

they dont make the smith &wesson any more you will most likly have to take it to a gun smith this is a good rifle S&W howa and weatherby vangaurd all the same gun

7. ZigZagZeke

Got out the dremel tool and very carefully did just that. It's mirror smooth now and not jamming.