JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a live round stuck in the chamber/barrel of an 9mm AR build I was building and hoping to complete. I basically wanted to cycle a few rounds manually without pulling the trigger. First round I chambered got jammed in the brand new barrel. So jammed that it broke the extractor on the bcg. It looks like the cartridge is almost fully seated. The company that sold me the barrel did say they would replace it. They did notice some of the barrels in the same batch had extra nitriding and they must've missed one. They said they would replace it. So at least I'm confident it's not the brand of ammo to blame. Any suggestions on safely removing this jammed round so I can have it replaced?

I've seen someone use a bunch of bearing grease that was injected down into the barrel, then a tight fitting wood dowel was inserted into the muzzle and gently pressed downwards with a cantilevered 2x2 wood stick, all the while the breach end was held in a padded vise and pointing in a safe direction. The round just fell out of the breach.
This guy has a neat tool to do it as safe as possible.

lock the bolt carrier group back, and insert a solid cleaning rod down barrel and gently tap on the end of the cleaning rod with a mallet, hammer, rock, beer bottle, turtle. till the round comes out. if you want to feel safer, wad a paper towel inside the upper in case bolt carrier releases while tapping.( always treat the gun as loaded, muzzle control, dont stick your face at the killing end of your boom stick).

Last Edited:
Take the lower clear off the upper when working on it. Remove the gas block.

Make a fitting to slip over the end of the barrel to clamp it tight. On the end have a fitting for 1/16th npt threads. Install a grease fitting.
Use epoxy on the gas hole. Fill it up and let it dry. But fill it so you can drill it out easy enough.
The next day fill it with grease with a grease gun, and it will come right out.

All depends on how close they fit... I've tried rotating it, and have taken a grease bath because cuz I use a pneumatic grease gun with 120psi behind it :) It's amazing how much grease will flow out of .0002 on a diameter of .750!

I've witnessed a lot of jams cleared with a dowel without issue. Is there a reason to not just tap it out?
I can't remember having ever heard of this going South. Is that why you suggest all the extra work? Is it the possibility of damage to the gun or?

One scenario is that a hard wack on the nose of the bullet would force it down into the case and compress the powder and set it off.

What @jbett98 said.....

I had a round go off via compression using a hardwood dowel. I still have a hole in my shop where it exited (the dowel). The bullet bounced all around. So I never whack a live round, even from the bullet end. You just never know.

Yes you can run a dowel down or a cleaning rod and gently tap, and allot of times they will come right out. But if its really stuck......No whacky!!!o_O

One scenario is that a hard wack on the nose of the bullet would force it down into the case and compress the powder and set it off.
That's the only one my currently addled head could come up with. I know better than to be on here when in altered state. But when I have time to drink it all away is also when I havve time to waste with you bruthas:)

What @jbett98 said.....

I had a round go off via compression using a hardwood dowel. I still have a hole in my shop where it exited (the dowel). The bullet bounced all around. So I never whack a live round, even from the bullet end. You just never know.

Yes you can run a dowel down or a cleaning rod and gently tap, and allot of times they will come right out. But if its really stuck......No whacky!!!o_O
Comprende amigo! Thank you.

I watched a guy try this with an old Jap air cooled machinegun,Boy howdy did that thing blow the cleaning rod!!! Not a pretty sight! Follow what Velzy recommends with the grease, and all should be fine! Best of luck to ya!

I once filled a barrel w/water plugged the muzzle with a wad of paper (I Think) then put in the deep freeze over night. The expanding ice pushed the round out of the chamber

How about removing the firing pin and try to move the bolt all the way into battery, then replace the firing pin and fire the stuck round.

"How about removing the firing pin and try to move the bolt all the way into battery, then replace the firing pin and fire the stuck round."
If the nitride coating is thick enough to lock a live round into the chamber then there is a good chance that the barrel may also be out of tolerance. I grew up with a friend's father who was missing half his face from a surplus rifle exploding on him. Don't do it.

I had a .72 cal black powder ball lodged one time, mid barrel...Made a grease fitting to go on the nipple. Pumped a whole tube of grease into that thing, and nothing..In went another tube of grease. let it sit underpressure....Oh and then I got the idea to introduce some compressed air. I did have it pointed in a safe direction in my shop.
I had the bbl mounted in a solid vise and went over to the air compressor. Very very slowly opened the valve to let just a little air in...
Look it's moving, ever so slowly. I left a small dia cardboard tube in the barrel so I could see when it started moving. It moved about 6" and stopped. I figure I had put about 10 lbs of pressure to it. I popped the air line off and added more grease and tried pumping it out with the grease gun again...nope still very stuck.
So I added a little more air..
Ok now it's really moving out...but then it popped and in a flash there was a red vapor in the air, good lord...what a mess...
I'm not sure any of that grease went out the door..it all seemed to vaporize and coat everything!

The old rifle barrel was Undamaged and after 2 hours of cleaning out the mess inside the bbl is was ready to go!

I have always used an 1/8" brass rod and lightly dropping the (upper/barrel only) down over it using gravity to do the tapping, this allows me to maintain some distance and direction from any direction IF she decides to bang. Though admittedly I have only done this once with a live round and a couple times with squib rounds (old reloads that must have gotten contaminated)

Don't use a dowel to remove a case or round from a bbl. The dowel can split and jam in there and make the problem worse. I have a brass rod, however I would not try to drive a live round out.

While it sounds like a good idea, and obviously some have experience with liquids and with the dowel, I have a question: if a dowel or cleaning rod can push the projectile into the case and cause the powder to ignite, could not a liquid and/or air push the projectile into the case also?

A gas is compressible, but most liquids are not very compressible - at least not to the same degree as gases - so in that sense, they are almost like a solid. Plus, pressure is pressure; a force on the projectile, whether gas, liquid or solid, could theoretically push the projectile into the case.

Obviously, those suggesting this have much more experience with this than I do - I've never gotten a round stuck that severely into a chamber - but still...

BTW - it is a bit late to say this, but in the future, don't use live rounds for such testing. Make up or buy dummy rounds.

A partial answer to the question of a rod vs air or liquid is this; Air or a Liquid will exert pressure on all parts of the projectile and case ( if it can reach it) but it imparts it's pressure equally around the entire assembly, while it may push a projectile deeper into a case, it will likely move the entire assembly well before that happens. In the case of a liquid, it also acts as a leaching lubricant as it tries to find a way to escape and that helps ease the pressure loading and helps loosen up and provide lubricity to the area! There is risk to just about any thing you try but air or liquid are less likely to cause a detonation then a focused pressure like a dowel or cleaning rod.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top