JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I inherited my father's Remington 700 that he had since 1967. It still shoots just fine but I was thinking maybe taking bolt to someone and have all cleaned and new springs? Is this necessary or a good idea?

While there is not much to it, the 700 bolt does not require much mx. Unless the gun was stored with the bolt cocked, the spring should not need replacement. The only reason for cleaning would be dirt and grease in the body channel of the bolt. There is a simple and inexpensive tool to aid in the disassembly process (Brownells etc.), The tool and some light oil is all you need if you think the unbroken needs "fixen"!

I had two '60s vintage 700s... one BDL in 6mmRem, and the other an ADL .243; I LOVED those rifles but had to sell to pay for divorce. Wish I still had them.

Treasure your inheritance and then pay it forward if you can! I'm giving a lot of my "stuff" to my grandkids while I am alive to enjoy it!!!

So I inherited my father's Remington 700 that he had since 1967. It still shoots just fine but I was thinking maybe taking bolt to someone and have all cleaned and new springs? Is this necessary or a good idea?
If he hunted with it, it would be worth at least checking the bolts firing pin and extractor condition. I have an old Rem700 I inherited from my father, we hunted with it for years and never knew to maintain the bolt. This is what an unmaintained 700 firing pin looks like.... rusted and pitted to hell, the spring is permanently pitted and rusted and yet.... it still shot just fine. (Ive since replaced this with a new Greytan Firing pin assembly kit).
1112212001.jpg

I recommend 700 owners own a Sinclair bolt maintenance kit but if you just want to check the condition there are some easy enough hacks on youtube to get the firing pin assembly out, but you wont be able to further disassemble the rest of the firing pin assembly or check the extractor spring without the Sinclair kit. The Sinclair kit makes it so easy you can tear the entire bolt assebmly down and back together in a few minutes.

If he hunted with it, it would be worth at least checking the bolts firing pin and extractor condition. I have an old Rem700 I inherited from my father, we hunted with it for years and never knew to maintain the bolt. This is what an unmaintained 700 firing pin looks like.... rusted and pitted to hell, the spring is permanently pitted and rusted and yet.... it still shot just fine. (Ive since replaced this with a new Greytan Firing pin assembly kit).
View attachment 1093376

I recommend 700 owners own a Sinclair bolt maintenance kit but if you just want to check the condition there are some easy enough hacks on youtube to get the firing pin assembly out, but you wont be able to further disassemble the rest of the firing pin assembly or check the extractor spring without the Sinclair kit. The Sinclair kit makes it so easy you can tear the entire bolt assebmly down and back together in a few minutes.
I have watched enough of the videos to know I don't think I want to personally tackle it but I will look into the Sinclair kit and see if that changes my mind. It was his hunting rifle and he was pretty particular about keeping it clean but I think he might have let some grand kids on my step mother side borrow it because its a little more beat up then when he and I used to go hunting.

The 700 is one of the few Rifles that is so robust, that it's doubtful you need anything but a good cleaning and assemble it mostly dry, while not the easiest to take down, with a few tools and a good vice with leather pads or taped soft jaws, anyone should be able to do it! I just did my 721 a few weeks ago, almost identical to the 700, and not at all hard to do, I made my own bold shroud holder thingy and didn't take it further down then removing the firing pin!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top