JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't use a dowel to remove a case or round from a bbl. The dowel can split and jam in there and make the problem worse. I have a brass rod, however I would not try to drive a live round out.
I can't imagine being stupid enough to hit it hard enough to split the dowel. But you're right, I guess. There are some stupid people out there.

If you are afraid of a ND, then take your upper to the woods where its legal to shoot and get a cleaning rod and hammer away in a safe direction. I've had two stuck cartridges before on my AR-15, one was fired, so I didn't have to worry about a loaded cartridge. But the second one did not go into battery so I couldn't discharge the round. And I used the above method (not in the woods but at home) and it came out fine. I will not be buying American Quality Ammunition from Cheaper than Dirt anymore.

I have a live round stuck in the chamber/barrel of an 9mm AR build I was building and hoping to complete. I basically wanted to cycle a few rounds manually without pulling the trigger. First round I chambered got jammed in the brand new barrel. So jammed that it broke the extractor on the bcg. It looks like the cartridge is almost fully seated. The company that sold me the barrel did say they would replace it. They did notice some of the barrels in the same batch had extra nitriding and they must've missed one. They said they would replace it. So at least I'm confident it's not the brand of ammo to blame. Any suggestions on safely removing this jammed round so I can have it replaced?
Can you tell me why you wouldn't just send the barrel back to them with the round still in it? (to prove your story among other things) Make sure to tell them the round is there of course but let them deal with getting the round out safely since they took responsibility for the problem.

Can you tell me why you wouldn't just send the barrel back to them with the round still in it? (to prove your story among other things) Make sure to tell them the round is there of course but let them deal with getting the round out safely since they took responsibility for the problem.
shipping any firearm with a live round inside it is a BIG no no no no no. Against postal regulations, UPS/FedEx, etc..... somehow you got to remove the chambered round prior to shipping the barrel.

Blocking the gas tube is a good idea, though I'd try a wooden dowell with steady pressure (as mentioned, NO WHACKIE!!!) first, if it won't budge with a reasonable amount of pressure, then blocking the gas port of the barrel with epoxy (since the barrel will be replaced by the supplier, no need to think about drilling it back out...... go ahead, get lazy!! that barrel is gone anyway), or maybe drill and tap it for a screw to seal it... or, another option seal the end with a plug of some sort, then insert a zerk fitting right into the gas port of the barrel, then pump full of grease with a grease gun. The gentle pressure will do more to release it. Of course, there IS a certain danger of the round going off, and, just as a squib round would, banana peeling the barrel..... though, with the breech fully open, the pressure would blow back and out the chamber..... maybe remove the barrel from the receiver and work the whole thing on a vise. Again, no need to protect the barrel, as its already scrap metal. You only need to clear the round prior to shipping it back. Again, make certain BOTH ends (you now have two, count em, TWO, "muzzle ends" to watch out for.

Rather a sticky wicket, I'd say, callling for intelligence, creativity, and extreme caution... any two of which tend to exclude the third in most settings.

I have a live round stuck in the chamber/barrel of an 9mm AR build I was building and hoping to complete. I basically wanted to cycle a few rounds manually without pulling the trigger. First round I chambered got jammed in the brand new barrel. So jammed that it broke the extractor on the bcg. It looks like the cartridge is almost fully seated. The company that sold me the barrel did say they would replace it. They did notice some of the barrels in the same batch had extra nitriding and they must've missed one. They said they would replace it. So at least I'm confident it's not the brand of ammo to blame. Any suggestions on safely removing this jammed round so I can have it replaced?
safest way is to kill the round itself 1st. Put a liberal dose of WD-40 down the barrel let it set over night in upright position. The penetrating ability of WD-40 should seep into the round and deactivate both the powder and primer. Also added lubrication should aid in removal.

Ive never run aross a stuck round I haven't been able to get out. Live and or fired.
I remove the case head with the live primer. Fill the case with cerrosafe and then as if by magic I remove The case.

Only dangerous part is getting the live primer out, and I've figured that out.
And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg..

:)

shipping any firearm with a live round inside it is a BIG no no no no no. Against postal regulations, UPS/FedEx, etc..... somehow you got to remove the chambered round prior to shipping the barrel.

Shipping a live round in a "firearm" might be illegal, I won't argue that point but technically a barrel is just a gun "part" not a firearm and I have received lots of live rounds through the USPS, UPS and FedEx.

Shipping a live round in a "firearm" might be illegal, I won't argue that point but technically a barrel is just a gun "part" not a firearm and I have received lots of live rounds through the USPS, UPS and FedEx.
True enough but I'd not want to be the poor schmuck the Postal Inspectors (remember they are heavily armed these days) happened across when they were looking for someone on whom to "go postal". It would be a hard row to hoe and selling gun owners down the river is all too common these days. Not right, just too common.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top