JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is YOUR rifle. You may do as please with it. I came close once to selling a rifle and decided at the last minute to keep it.... Glad I did, it became one of my favorites. The guy that was going to buy it was mad as hell, however I think he got over it. Just my .02

Hehe. That's a choice you got to settle by yourself. Make the choice. Answer to your deeds.
If ya already committed to the sale, well, kinna late to be changin yer mind. I'm not much help.

If you have already agreed to sell it, Be straight with the guy and tell him you changed your mind and your sorry. Ask him if you can do something to make it up. Just be a man about it, it will be fine.

how bad is it to have 2nd thoughts about selling a rifle, is it worth the negative feedback, or should I just suck it up and sell it...

I did the same thing. I just sent the guy $40 for his trouble and never heard about it again. I learned a lesson, it sure didn't feel good to be that reneger guy..

Just be honest and sincere.

Ive done it once before.. I just had a change of heart as I thought about not having it more and more..

I apologized and he understood. I felt bad, but not as bad as I would had I rid myself of the firearm.

If it's special and your already second guessing yourself then sell something else if you need money IMO.

Only way your getting negative feedback is if you agreed to a price and time/place to meet - then I think that's worthy of a ding if that's how far the deal has gone.

Otherwise, contest it with the kids to have it removed by explaining what happened.

At least that would be my criteria...

Price.
Place.
Time/Date to meet.

If those three haven't been met then you don't have a deal yet.

Just be honest and sincere.

Ive done it once before.. I just had a change of heart as I thought about not having it more and more..

I apologized and he understood. I felt bad, but not as bad as I would had I rid myself of the firearm.

Did the exact same thing. Set up a deal for 2 guns, as I was cleaning them up the morning of the meet I got all sentimental and just couldn't do it. I called the guy, just told him the truth, he understood completely and said if I ever have a change of heart to let him know. I felt bad but to this day don't regret it at all. He was a collector and moves a lot of guns, I think those of us who are 'gun guys' get it.
If it were a situation where someone backed out of a 'handshake' deal because someone else made them a better deal I think that's B.S. How to prove it's not the case w/the above scenario (sentimentality) would be nearly impossible. It's really not cool in either case but a man's got to do what a man's got to do and we move on.
Good luck.

I drove all the way to Salem to buy a firearm, guy texted me 5 minutes before meet time and said he decided not to sell was from NWFA. I drove two hours plenty of time for the guy to change his mind. I did not want to sell a tactical mossberg 500 man was it sweet I needed some cash made the deal night before deal I got some money selling a non-firearm. I kept the deal cause I gave my word I would do it, about 5 times people have no showed or cancelled each time I swore I wouldnt deal with them again. I'm old school your word is your bond. I am not sure what exactly you said to the guy/gal. But if you said ok deal, or ok its yours or something like that id say not cool having been on both sides its rough to sell as I still know that guy has my nice fixed up shotgun man was it sweet and gave like 400rds ammo too I must have had 800.00 in it and sold it for 550.00 price wasn't the point my word was.

I'd like to think any good decent gun enthusiast sure could be POed, but would end up understanding. I like the idea of an apology gift. Throw a couple boxes of ammo his way. And if he's so angry he ding your feedback leave a neutral on him that says something like: So sorry, had change of heart.

If I was in the middle of a sale and had agreed on the terms of the sale, then most likely I would follow through.

But I have pulled firearms off the market when I decided that I no longer wanted or needed to sell it. I still have my .50 BMG that if someone came along and offered me a good price for it I would take them up on it, but I no longer advertise it or seek a sale as I simply no longer need the funds it would bring, and most of the time I have, to a certain degree, regretted selling/trading my firearms - very few that I have sold do I not wish I still had them (although many funded getting something I wanted more - I wish I had them both now).

At this point in my life, unless I get something that simply doesn't work the way I want it to, I will keep whatever I acquire even if I get something better. With the politics the way they are, I may not be able to get them again, and many of them are "off the books" and that is now not a possibility for the time being here in OR and WA.

Man up. Either own up to your agreement or own up to why you are having second thoughts.

Both routes will leave respect intact.

Dropping off the face of the earth will get you no respect.

Come to think of it, although I can't really use a 30+ pound .50 BMG rifle for much of anything (being big, heavy, and not having any place to shoot said rifle at the ranges it is meant for - i.e., 1+km), .50 BMGs, even just a single shot like mine, are targets for anti-gun efforts because of their power and range. So getting one again some time in the future, could wind up being much harder than it is now.

So yeah, even though I have never shot it and don't plan to any time soon, I think I would just hang on to it regardless.

Come to think of it, although I can't really use a 30+ pound .50 BMG rifle for much of anything (being big, heavy, and not having any place to shoot said rifle at the ranges it is meant for - i.e., 1+km), .50 BMGs, even just a single shot like mine, are targets for anti-gun efforts because of their power and range. So getting one again some time in the future, could wind up being much harder than it is now.

So yeah, even though I have never shot it and don't plan to any time soon, I think I would just hang on to it regardless.

If you have the surplus cash then why get rid of anything eh?

If you have the surplus cash then why get rid of anything eh?

Even Bill Gates has a budget.

I am still saving for retirement, and the cost of that rifle would mean I could retire one month earlier.

I don't have so much money that I couldn't spend it overnight on just a few things I need (newer daily driver, roof repairs, tracks for the tractor, hearing aids, property improvements and so on) not to mention things I want (firearms, other toys).

I just have enough spare that I can take care of the important things right now without selling off any firearms.

If I had enough cash I would retire tomorrow and buy some better land further out and build a better house/shop - but I don't have enough to do that. Selling the .50 BMG would get me only a little bit closer so I will hang on to it.

Even Bill Gates has a budget.

I am still saving for retirement, and the cost of that rifle would mean I could retire one month earlier.

I don't have so much money that I couldn't spend it overnight on just a few things I need (newer daily driver, roof repairs, tracks for the tractor, hearing aids, property improvements and so on) not to mention things I want (firearms, other toys).

I just have enough spare that I can take care of the important things right now without selling off any firearms.

If I had enough cash I would retire tomorrow and buy some better land further out and build a better house/shop - but I don't have enough to do that. Selling the .50 BMG would get me only a little bit closer so I will hang on to it.

Maybe I should have said unless you need extra cash you may as well keep it...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top