JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well,finally got to shoot the 270,iusmc was correct,shooting at a 12x12 piece of steel @ 200 yds was hard,it was a little breezy,about 25% never hit target,could be due to lack of experience,I bet less than 10%@ 500 yds would even hit the target with my ablities,very humbling,maybe I should move closer to the target and get better at that range first,thanks for all of your input

Okay plain and simple I have successfully hunted bear in Alaska at the excess of 350 yds , With a Remington 700 270. 9 power Leupold , I was shooting a good handload and bagged two successfully, I was just a youngster so, to answer your question most enthusiastically, Yes. It is a fantastic caliber , Good Luck :)

Well,finally got to shoot the 270,iusmc was correct,shooting at a 12x12 piece of steel @ 200 yds was hard,it was a little breezy,about 25% never hit target,could be due to lack of experience,I bet less than 10%@ 500 yds would even hit the target with my ablities,very humbling,maybe I should move closer to the target and get better at that range first,thanks for all of your input

Whatever you do, don't get discouraged! Good shots aren't born, they're molded and tweaked and tuned through lots of practice and listening to people who know more about it, just as you have found that what we said was true. You got a good rifle in a good caliber, now you need to use it to make YOURSELF good. After a hundred rounds or so, you'll find that you're better than you were when you fired the first round. As long as you aren't out there just yanking the trigger! Just go slow at first. If it will help, get a book and record every time you pull the trigger and send one downrange. Plot where you THINK it went, then go look. Eventually, where you think it went, and where it actually landed will get closer and closer. When you're home, and find yourself with not much to to, pull the rifle out, get into the positions you want to shoot from and either dry-fire it, or use some of your spent brass so the firing pin has something to stike. Crawl, walk, run. Get proficient at 50 meters (crawl) move to 100 meters (walk) from there, to infinity and beyond (run)

Anyway, thats a couple more of my cents since I already gave you my .02 cents earlier.
Humbling, but it was fun, huh? Yeah!

Yeah it was fun as ****,even with my wife and kids laughing at me,man it was loud to.I was shooting factory remington rounds,not sure about the consistency of the ammo,sounds like I'll be spending a couple bucks learning to crawl.Not discouraged just humbled,nothing wrong with that,at least I know where the learning process needs to start.

MY friends dad hunts elk every year in Colorado, he took a massive cow last year and while it didnt drop in its tracks he said it didnt run more then 100 yards, me and my buddy got the call to come pack that think out, he prefers the 270 with 150gr to his 3006.

This is a pretty interesting thread. I shoot in long range steel, "practical" (some "sniper") matches. For competitive long range shooting the 270 win is completely ignored due to lack of good "high BC" bullets. I started out with a .270 as a kid and have always loved that cartridge for hunting (usually only out to 400 yds). With the introduction of Berger's 150gr VLD bullet in .277" the 270 could provide "acceptable" ballistics for long range shooting (although still nothing to write home about). Another company called Matrix bullets has just come out with 165, and 175gr .277" bullets with very high advertised BC's (the 165gr bullet is supposed to be .738 BC). Obviously with a BC like that, wind drift would be greatly reduced and long shots across canyons here in the northwest would be much more doable. I'm having a long range 270 winchester built as we speak, to test the bullets and use in competition (and hunting). If it works out the way I think it will, the 270 would become an excellent long range cartridge (obviously the 270 wsm even more so, but it's such a barrel burner I wouldn't consider it personally). One issue with off the shelf 270's is that they usually have a 1:10 twist, which probably won't stabilize the longer high BC matrix bullets. My build will have a 1:9 twist and the barrel is also 28" long to aid in muzzle velocity. I am writing an article documenting the entire project for this website.... Long Range Shooter
As one who shoots beyond 500yds at least once a week, I would strongly caution anyone against taking game at long range without extreme amounts of practice and familiarity with a given rifle. The gear one needs to use for ethically taking game at such distances is usually not cheap. You need an excellent range finder (with out knowing the exact range taking shots beyond 300yds is a "no-no" IMO). I know more than a few who think they're pretty good at guestimating ranges... they're not! You'll need a scope that can allow you to accurately and repeatably adjust for range (using hold overs is also a "no-no" for long range IMO). You must hand load for long range to ensure consistency, accuracy, and select bullets that allow acceptable ballistics as well as terminal performance. You must understand the effects of elevation (barometric pressure) and weather (wind especially). Unless you are an expert a long shot in winds of over 5mph should be avoided. Don't get me started on all that "Best of the West" long range hunting crap. I would LOVE to meet these guys in a competition. I think they're really good at editing videos and saying "it's just that easy". I personally know of "creative" editing used for long range hunting shows on national TV. If they're selling you something take their advise with a grain (or brick) of salt. JMO.

Here's a little update on the 270 project with a couple pics....

I run only OCW's for my loads... My high OCW with the 165 Matrix is running 2850fps in a 28" barrel. Accuracy is very good, I've tested the load out to 1250yds. On paper at 300 it's running about 1/2 MOA and better. The actual BC is closer to .650 (much less than the .738 advertised). This rifle is a hammer, first round hits on 10" plates is consistant to beyond 900yds. It feels almost like shooting my old 7wsm! I just got my OCW load for the 175gr Matrix bullets, I'm not sure what the velocity or BC is yet, but I intend to find out tommorow. I'm hopping the 175's are running in the 2770 range, if so I'll probably go with 175's instead of the 165's. The BC on these should be about .700 but I have to shoot them at long range to give a realistic number.

019-1.jpg

120.jpg

015-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top