JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Used 270win

• Total voters
I came to this thread a little late, I was going to recommend the Winchester, The model 70 pre 64 is /was in high demand, and was quality all the way and you couldn't go wrong with it. I hope yours is everything you hoped for.
Don't sell it short for larger game. I took my AZ 6X6 bull at 150 yards, one shot quartering. Nearly shot completely through him, hit just behind the shoulder and found the bullet under the skin of the left flank, he walked about a 100 feet and laid down and died. He was between 900 and 1000 pounds live weight. I used factory Federal with Nosler Partition bullets. Perfect mushroom and great performance. If you get into the ballistics of the round you will find in some instances it will shoot farther and flatter than the '06.
I loved mine and gave it to my daughter a few years ago and she and her husband have taken more elk with it in ID and WY.
If I could have only one center fire rifle I'd really think hard and long then get a 270! It's hard to beat.
I got some specially loaded light fast bullets for Prairie dogs, they turned those puppies inside out like a dirty sock! I think they were around 100gr, give or take. That was a long time ago.
Gabby

Last Edited:
Unless you have lots of time and ammo between seasons, I don't recommend switching loads. Rarely will one load have the same zero as another. A 30-06 will push a 180gr bullet at 2700fps and a 150gr at 2900 with factory ammo. That translates into less than 1 inch difference in drop at 300 with a 200 yard zero. Its also less than 3 inches at 400. Can you hold within 3 inches from a field shooting position at 400 yards? If not, use a quality 180gr bullet and call it good on anything.

Or, load 150gr Barnes Tipped TSXs at 3000 and do the same thing. A 150gr TSX retains more weight than a cup and core 180gr bullet at slightly higher cost.

Leupold Scopes have a catchy title for just this problem. It's called "Ballistic Aiming System" and it's another way of saying BDC.
Here's an excerpt from their VX-6, VX-3/3L line of scopes.

The Leupold Ballistics Aiming System ® provides a series of aiming points toimprove your ability to shoot accurately at longer ranges .
The first aiming point (the intersection of the Duplex ® reticle) is designed to be used at 200
yards with most common cartridges or at 300 yards in several flatter shooting cartridges designed for longer range use.

The Leupold Ballistics Aiming System provides you with two different power selector positions, indicated by large and small triangles located within the magnification level indicators on the power selector ring (VX-6, VX-3/3L models).
These are provided to allow you to select the hold points best suited to the cartridge you are using. In some cases, the smaller triangle setting can be used to accommodate your slower, heavier bullet load, while the larger triangle can be used to accommodate a faster, lighter bullet load in the same rifle . The reticle assumes bullets of similar spitzer shape will be used throughout.

Unless you have lots of time and ammo between seasons, I don't recommend switching loads. Rarely will one load have the same zero as another. A 30-06 will push a 180gr bullet at 2700fps and a 150gr at 2900 with factory ammo. That translates into less than 1 inch difference in drop at 300 with a 200 yard zero. Its also less than 3 inches at 400. Can you hold within 3 inches from a field shooting position at 400 yards? If not, use a quality 180gr bullet and call it good on anything.

Or, load 150gr Barnes Tipped TSXs at 3000 and do the same thing. A 150gr TSX retains more weight than a cup and core 180gr bullet at slightly higher cost.

Over the years reloading I have developed three loads for my 30-06 that will all print in a 2" group at 100 yards and a 5" at 300 yards. A 130 grain hollow point to be used on coyotes a 150 grain Spire point for deer and a Nosler 180gr Ballistic tip for Elk.

This way I never have to mess with the scope and just use a tiny bit of Kentucky windage to adjust.

Leupold Scopes have a catchy title for just this problem. It's called "Ballistic Aiming System" and it's another way of saying BDC.
Here's an excerpt from their VX-6, VX-3/3L line of scopes.

The Leupold Ballistics Aiming System ® provides a series of aiming points toimprove your ability to shoot accurately at longer ranges .
The first aiming point (the intersection of the Duplex ® reticle) is designed to be used at 200
yards with most common cartridges or at 300 yards in several flatter shooting cartridges designed for longer range use.

The Leupold Ballistics Aiming System provides you with two different power selector positions, indicated by large and small triangles located within the magnification level indicators on the power selector ring (VX-6, VX-3/3L models).
These are provided to allow you to select the hold points best suited to the cartridge you are using. In some cases, the smaller triangle setting can be used to accommodate your slower, heavier bullet load, while the larger triangle can be used to accommodate a faster, lighter bullet load in the same rifle . The reticle assumes bullets of similar spitzer shape will be used throughout.

You are assuming elevation as the only variable. I see plenty of horizontal changes between bullets as well. I NEVER hunt with a rifle that is not zeroed for a particular load. I wait all year long at a chance at a buck and Im not trusting any gimmick in that situation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top