JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry, trying to get this transferred to another forum if that's where it belongs.

So, know I know I'm opening a can of worms here. But which one would you recommend a 270 or a 300 as you preferred long range gun? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks for all of your responses and reasons why.

Not even close, hands down the long range winner would be the .300 mag. Better selection of bullet weights and way more power out there at distance, which equals to less drop and wind drift. You were referencing the .300 mag? If not, then the .270 would get the nod. Don't overlook the 25-06 as a real performer also. This "little" round has a lot of potential. Remember, both are based on the venerable 30-06 necked down.

If you can tolerate the recoil of the .300, it wins, if not, the .270.
In terms of flat shooting, bullet sectional density and ballistic coefficient, they are surprisingly similar when the .270 is loaded with 150s, and the .300 is flingin' 180gr bullets.

If you believe that 200-300 ft-lbs more energy @300yds is worth the difference in recoil, the .300 beats anything based on the -06 case. The .338-06AI comes close though.

Kinda need to know what you're planning on using the rifle for. Coyotes? Deer? Black bear? Elk at long range? Neighbor's car?:s0114:

Also need to know what your idea of long distance hunting is. 400 yards or less the 270 is awesome no matter what game you are shooting. Anything farther though and you do want to look at rounds with higher bc. The 300 win mag is a great round, but in all honesty for long range hunting instead of the 300 you may be much happier with the 7mm mag. Super flat shooting with awesome bc's and serious energy out to 1000 yards and more. 25-06 will suprise most when they see how well this round works on big game way out there. It does awesome also and if want even better, one that will knock anything down outside of Africa, then take a look at the 25-06 AI.

+1 for 25-06
What is long range? In a hunting situation long range is around 300-400 yds? For me. Although i don't hunt east side.
Both are great. mentioned earlier there is a ton of options for the 300 win. if you don't like recoil they make loads that mock a 30-06. if you love it buy a box of BB or superformance. Now adays the 300 is universal. More so if you reload.

If your choices are only .270/.300 go with the 300. Guessing you are going to shoot factory ammo. More options in the 300.

This biggest question here is long range hunting? Or long range shooting?

I read so many threads this last season about guys going to the 300wm an never looking back.
They "claim" better stopping power.Seems to be picking up in popularity.

A few years back I was talking to a guy about calibers and Alaska.He said a 30.06 is just fine.
But the guides and outfitters want the clients to bring bigger calibers with them. Because so many of the clients don't shoot very well and after paying $10k for tags,they want them to drop the animal even with a bad shot placement.

I would guess this would pertain to some local guys too.Use magnum and if you make a bad shot,there is still a good chance of it being a kill.

Quote "I would guess this would pertain to some local guys too.Use magnum and if you make a bad shot,there is still a good chance of it being a kill". Oh boy,, there we go again:s0013: I have NEVER pulled a questionable shot with my .338 and refuse to let one fly until im absolutely positive of a good clean kill, I owe that to the Elk I'm after. I may not be the best long range artist around, but I can hold my own. Just to say that I own a magnum or two would be an understatement. Most of my favorites are a little smaller, but that's my choice for Elk around my neck of the woods,, and by God this is the United States of America isn't it? When I made this most recent trip on down to Florida to see a few boys her at E.O.D, 42 long guns went into the safe. I have my preferences as do you, if you dont like it,, well again this is the USA. I wont disparage your choice of calibers,, even if I disagree with your disagreeability;)

Quote "I would guess this would pertain to some local guys too.Use magnum and if you make a bad shot,there is still a good chance of it being a kill". Oh boy,, there we go again:s0013: I have NEVER pulled a questionable shot with my .338 and refuse to let one fly until im absolutely positive of a good clean kill, I owe that to the Elk I'm after. I may not be the best long range artist around, but I can hold my own. Just to say that I own a magnum or two would be an understatement. Most of my favorites are a little smaller, but that's my choice for Elk around my neck of the woods,, and by God this is the United States of America isn't it? When I made this most recent trip on down to Florida to see a few boys her at E.O.D, 42 long guns went into the safe. I have my preferences as do you, if you dont like it,, well again this is the USA. I wont disparage your choice of calibers,, even if I disagree with your disagreeability;)

as the kids would say

U mad?

What did I miss? Just stating what I have heard. Never said anything bad about YOU personally or any other magnum owner.

BTW I am in the market for a 300wm,so go back to sleep.

Perhaps we can all agree that guns are like women....they are certainly a matter of taste and preference. As Voltaire said: I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Naa,I of the mind that all types of guns and women should be given a try,never know when you might get a dandy!

salmonriverjohn

@ mjbskwim I Never sleep. And never get mad. Whats your point?? Now meanwhile,, back at the ranch granny was beating off all the injuns

Excuse me but this is a family forum. :)

The 270 aint no slouch,but as you get out there,and for bigger game,it just make sense to go with the 300wm.
How about the 300 RUM,or WBY mag?

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR