JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Used 270win

• Total voters
Reactions
I have been looking for a 270 win for a while now. I got a 30-06 but I wouldn't mind having a 270 for deer hunting. I was at Nw armory today and saw a used Winchester m70 and a used older Ruger Hawkeye both wood stocks which I like and both the same price. I usually go with a savage for my rifle but I like these and where a good price. So I am asking for your thoughts. What are the pros and cons? Which do you like? What's your opinion.

I was once contemplating the same idea and instead of buying another gun, I just upgraded the scope/rings to Leupold and dropped down to 150 grn. ammo for deer.

Last Edited:
I was once contemplating the same idea once and instead of buying another gun, I just upgraded the scope/rings to Leupold and dropped down to 150 grn. ammo for deer.
I tend to set my 30-06 with 165gn bullets try to be ok for deer and elk if I had to. I could use a better optic for it just haven't thought about it.

Tough Choice, both are good, It would all come down to a few things, Is the Winchester a Mauser action ( has a claw extractor like the Ruger?) or is it the Push feed? Does it really matter to you? I like both, have both and would sort of lean toward the Ruger, but......................I would hate to be in your shoes!

Tough Choice, both are good, It would all come down to a few things, Is the Winchester a Mauser action ( has a claw extractor like the Ruger?) or is it the Push feed? Does it really matter to you? I like both, have both and would sort of lean toward the Ruger, but......................I would hate to be in your shoes!
I didn't look at the safetys they don't really matter to me how they are used. I can take a look tomorrow. I have no experience with Winchester just know the name. I own other Ruger guns just not a center fire rifle. So I'm just seeing what others like to maybe help my decisions.

I had the Winchester in 270 and it was a shooter for sure.
My friend had a ruger hawkeye in 308 and it was a great gun too.
I'm just not a ruger fan for their rifles. Don't know why. I guess I heard the accuracy wasn't there. But that hawkeye of my buddy shot near perfect. It's a nice compact little rifle no?

I have been looking for a 270 win for a while now. I got a 30-06 but I wouldn't mind having a 270 for deer hunting. I was at Nw armory today and saw a used Winchester m70 and a used older Ruger Hawkeye both wood stocks which I like and both the same price. I usually go with a savage for my rifle but I like these and where a good price. So I am asking for your thoughts. What are the pros and cons? Which do you like? What's your opinion.
Did you settle on a gun yet?

I was once contemplating the same idea and instead of buying another gun, I just upgraded the scope/rings to Leupold and dropped down to 150 grn. ammo for deer.

Unless you have lots of time and ammo between seasons, I don't recommend switching loads. Rarely will one load have the same zero as another. A 30-06 will push a 180gr bullet at 2700fps and a 150gr at 2900 with factory ammo. That translates into less than 1 inch difference in drop at 300 with a 200 yard zero. Its also less than 3 inches at 400. Can you hold within 3 inches from a field shooting position at 400 yards? If not, use a quality 180gr bullet and call it good on anything.

Or, load 150gr Barnes Tipped TSXs at 3000 and do the same thing. A 150gr TSX retains more weight than a cup and core 180gr bullet at slightly higher cost.

I guess I'm an odd man out! I settled on 165gr bullets in my '06 bolt rifles years ago and I've never been disappointed!

Congratulations, dog, on your new rifle! .270 is a fine round! My uncles swore by them, they loved to hunt pronghorns! :)

Sweet .270! Now get a bunch of ammo and see how she runs and what she likes! I have found the Swift Scirocco 130 gr to be about the best a man could want in a .270. Excellent performance across the board, and it really bucks the wind well for those difficult shots. Works surprisingly well even on tough elk! Little need to go up in bullet weight until you decide to try your hand at big bear, then a good Sierra Game King 150 gr sbt is the go to for me! Happy Shooting and Hunting!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top