JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a question regarding custom made reloading dies. I was given a rifle for my birthday that is essentially a family heirloom. It is a .25 Krag Improved built on a Westley Richards single shot falling block rifle that is absolutely gorgeous. This is an old rifle initially built in the early 50's as a 500 Nitro Express dangerous game gun. The barrel has been bored and fitted with a .25 Krag Improved barrel. I have about 60 cases and a dozen loaded rounds. My Dad was unable to find the original dies that were made for this gun. I need a set of dies made to convert 30 40 Krag brass down to the .25 case. I know the process and have several loads but need to get a set of dies made.
My question is does anyone know of someone who can make the dies? It seems none of the big die makers make custom die any longer so I am stuck until I can get this done.
Any ideas would be welcome. I would love to shoot this rifle as my dad says it is very accurate. IMG_20180105_202003888.jpg

"Tag" This is so freaking cool! What a piece. It looks like it's going to be spendy to get this up and running. If it were me i'd save and get everything needed even if it took a couple of years. More better pics would be appreciated. :D

"Tag" This is so freaking cool! What a piece. It looks like it's going to be spendy to get this up and running. If it were me i'd save and get everything needed even if it took a couple of years. More better pics would be appreciated. :D

As soon as I can I will take some better photos and post them. It really is a beautiful piece. The workmanship is great and the bluing is so deep its awesome.

According to "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions" all you need to do to form this brass is anneal the neck and run .30-40 Krag brass into the .25 Krag dies. Haunt the gun shows and online and you can probably find a set of dies fairly reasonable. The Oregon Arms Collectors shows usually have a lot of older reloading stuff at them. Coming up Sunday Jan, 28th. Also the show April 22nd is specifically themed "Cartridges and Loading Tools"

According to "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions" all you need to do to form this brass is anneal the neck and run .30-40 Krag brass into the .25 Krag dies. Haunt the gun shows and online and you can probably find a set of dies fairly reasonable. The Oregon Arms Collectors shows usually have a lot of older reloading stuff at them. Coming up Sunday Jan, 28th. Also the show April 22nd is specifically themed "Cartridges and Loading Tools"

Yes it has been tried. The problem is unless you use a three step process to re neck the brass you ruin a lot of brass. Even going slow. just too much bending for the brass. That's why I want the three step dies. 30-40 Krag brass is not cheap and getting more expensive as time goes on.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top