JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One other area people are missing is town halls. I've been to town halls in the Portland area (where you would expect crowds) that ranged from 7-8 people (mostly lobbyists), to 20-30. Imaging getting 5,6, 10 or more. Consistently. Always asking questions, letting others in attendance see how the politicians stutter, get them to actually have to answer and being able to challenge/inform them back. They cannot just wish you away with a cookie cutter email.
Is it your experience that the politicians at these events take questions from the audience by raised hands? Or by written cards handed to an aide that can be screened and edited?

Is it your experience that the politicians at these events take questions from the audience by raised hands? Or by written cards handed to an aide that can be screened and edited?
Senator Burdick was infamous for using the card trick. For those not familiar, it works by requesting everyone write down their questions onto an index card, and turn it into one of their aides. In the name of "fairness and time", the aide then sorts through the cards. Next the aide gets to read the questions the way they want to ask them (and skip parts if needed) or skip it altogether. Or highlight favorable questions/praise.
The politician(s) then get to answer it without having to interact (unless they recognize the person as a supporter). These can be a waste of time since the politicians don't have to actually engage with the public, and it ends up feeling more like an opportunity for them to only spout positive things about themselves. The only time you can actually directly talk with them is usually about 5-15 minutes immediately after the townhall.

Fortunately most everyone else usually does the "raise your hand and ask your question" forum.

Senator Burdick was infamous for using the card trick. For those not familiar, it works by requesting everyone write down their questions onto an index card, and turn it into one of their aides. In the name of "fairness and time", the aide then sorts through the cards. Next the aide gets to read the questions the way they want to ask them (and skip parts if needed) or skip it altogether. Or highlight favorable questions/praise.
The politician(s) then get to answer it without having to interact (unless they recognize the person as a supporter). These can be a waste of time since the politicians don't have to actually engage with the public, and it ends up feeling more like an opportunity for them to only spout positive things about themselves. The only time you can actually directly talk with them is usually about 5-15 minutes immediately after the townhall.

Fortunately most everyone else usually does the "raise your hand and ask your question" forum.
I went to one of those things in Lake Oswego a few years ago. A state senator and rep shared the stage. Full row of red-shirts in front. All questions went through those cards, so of course mine got no reply.

We are addressing the wrong audience. We need to help JQ Public understand why preserving their self defense rights in an era of politicians opening borders and jails is healthy. Oregonian won't help. We may be stuck handling out flyers and helping candidates in toss-up areas. An army of loud angry voters is the best way so we need to convince people who are agnostic today that they shouldn't vote away their self defense on a lie that it makes them safer

I believe until PTP is in place the 3-day is still in effect. If/Once this is all approved i'll let my FFL tell me what they can do. Some folks here say we still need to have the BGC approved, then wait 72 hours. Others that until PTP in place we just need to wait the 72 hrs (if possess CHL and FFL follows that rule).
For the Magazine ban, From what I've read, the language tightens up the arguments given to Raschio. But it still looks like we can have >10 as long as they are kept in house, or taken only to a public or private range.
I'll let the folks with calmer heads that can understand the legal mumbo-jumbo (like @Librarian or @MichaelH ) explain if they feel like it.
It amazes me that we couldn't see this coming. As soon as 114 was challenged i figured Salem would find away around it. @PiratePast40 did everything he could except create form letters and send them to congress for us to try and get us to act. Some did, some didn't. I for one appreciates everything he did here. Stayed on top of things as best he could and updated us all as best he could. And I saw him take a lot of bubblegum for it. Most of us here are of the age to remember that saying 'You can lead a horse to water..."

Last Edited:
I believe until PTP is in place the 3-day is still in effect. If/Once this is all approved i'll let my FFL tell me what they can do. Some folks here say we still need to have the BGC approved, then wait 72 hours. Others that until PTP in place we just need to wait the 72 hrs (if possess CHL and FFL follows that rule).
For the Magazine ban, From what I've read, the language tightens up the arguments given to Raschio. But it still looks like we can have >10 as long as they are kept in house, or taken only to a public or private range.
I'll let the folks with calmer heads that can understand the legal mumbo-jumbo (like @Librarian or @MichaelH ) explain if they feel like it.
It amazes me that we couldn't see this coming. As soon as 114 was challenged i figured Salem would find away around it. @PiratePast40 did everything he could except create form letters and send them to congress for us to try and get us to act. Some did, some didn't. I for one appreciates everything he did here. Stayed on top of things as best he could and updated us all as best he could. And I saw him take a lot of bubblegum for it. Most of us here are of the age to remember that saying 'You can lead a horse to water..."
Thank you very much.

A little offf topic, but if anyone would like to learn more about participation, Oregon Citizens Lobby has meetings every Thursday at IKE Box in downtown Salem, a block or two from the capitol building. The purpose is to explain how to become involved in the legislative sessions. Included are ways to use the Oregon Legislative Information System, write testimony, testify in person, and communicate with your legislators. There are typically guest speakers including conservative Senators and Representatives. One of our pro second amendment senators is scheduled for this coming Thursday at 9am. It's a good place to meet conservatives and learn how to actually take action.

I thought that it was a 72 hour wait between getting your permit to purchase and being able to buy your first firearm, not 72 hours for each purchase.
It's for each purchase. The 72 hour clock starts when OSP issues the approval number. It's not clear if the hold takes effect on passage or after the permit system is in place. 393-2 is a way of amending SB 348 without submitting an amendment and going through the legal process. It's basically MDA and Prozanski's minions saying F-you. We captain now!

It's for each purchase. The 72 hour clock starts when OSP issues the approval number. It's not clear if the hold takes effect on passage or after the permit system is in place. 393-2 is a way of amending SB 348 without submitting an amendment and going through the legal process. It's basically MDA and Prozanski's minions saying F-you. We captain now!
Current status is IF you find an FFL willing to honor the federal rule and IF the FFL wants to take a chance on you, they can release the firearm to you 72 hours after submission of the completed form to OSP for review.
I can't follow the many different branches of all bills and amendments to see if the state will now require you to wait until OSP approves (which averages about 5-6 weeks now) THEN an additional 72 hours on top of that. You know. Just in case you still have thoughts about committing crimes with a firearm after 7 weeks. Or of course, you've not picked a more accessible method of suiciding yourself. Like stepping in front of a bus, eating hemlock or walking through downtown portland

If SB 348 passes you can say bye bye to Fed's three day rule and say hello to State's three day rule. This will apply immediately upon passage of SB 348.

"(c) The dealer may not transfer the firearm unless:
"(A) The dealer receives a unique approval number from the
department; and[,]
"(B) Seventy-two hours has elapsed since receipt of the unique ap-
proval number.
"(d) Within 48 hours of completing the transfer, the dealer shall notify
the [state] department that the transfer [to the permit holder] was com-
pleted.

If SB 348 passes you can say bye bye to Fed's three day rule and say hello to State's three day rule. This will apply immediately upon passage of SB 348.

"(c) The dealer may not transfer the firearm unless:
"(A) The dealer receives a unique approval number from the
department; and[,]
"(B) Seventy-two hours has elapsed since receipt of the unique ap-
proval number.
"(d) Within 48 hours of completing the transfer, the dealer shall notify
the [state] department that the transfer [to the permit holder] was com-
pleted.
I believe my previous statement about the 72 hour hold being effective immediately was incorrect. 393-2 specifically addresses Section 13 of 348-3 and does not appear to apply to transfers prior to 1 July 2024.

My interpretation is that the exceptions of Section 6 of SB348-3 apply to transfers prior to 1 July 2024 and do not include the 72 hour hold. The below is from page 14 starting at line 6 and is in Section 6:

"(a) The purchaser shall present to the gun dealer current identification
meeting the requirements of subsection (4) of this section and, for transfers
occurring on or after July 1, 2024, a valid permit issued under section 4
[of this 2022 Act], chapter 1, Oregon Laws 2023.

I believe my previous statement about the 72 hour hold being effective immediately was incorrect. 393-2 specifically addresses Section 13 of 348-3 and does not appear to apply to transfers prior to 1 July 2024.

My interpretation is that the exceptions of Section 6 of SB348-3 apply to transfers prior to 1 July 2024 and do not include the 72 hour hold. The below is from page 14 starting at line 6 and is in Section 6:

"(a) The purchaser shall present to the gun dealer current identification
meeting the requirements of subsection (4) of this section and, for transfers
occurring on or after July 1, 2024, a valid permit issued under section 4
[of this 2022 Act], chapter 1, Oregon Laws 2023.
Section 6 restrictions in SB 348-3 apply to transfers occurring prior to July 1, 2024.

Screenshot_20230405_103023_Drive.jpg

Sounds like the return of beanie babies and socks instead of guns at gun shows.
Fortunately the queue is coming down. It was under 15k on Saturday. Those who get instant approvals will only have to wait a few days to get their firearms. For everyone else it will be weeks. At least we have some time before permits are required.

Fortunately the queue is coming down. It was under 15k on Saturday. Those who get instant approvals will only have to wait a few days to get their firearms. For everyone else it will be weeks. At least we have some time before permits are required.
it will shoot right back up again by panic buyers once they hear what limits this will impose.and i see no incentive for OSP admin to go back to pre-114 BGC clearance checks.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top