JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When has a serial number ever prevented a murder? At best they are the forensic equivalent of chalk outlines... only somewhat useful after the fact.

Text of the bill appears to ban possession of spooky ghost gun. Other articles says it just bans sale or tranfers. If it is indeed effective immediately after signing, are a bunch of Oregonians (not me of course) now committing felonies because they didn't comply in time?

Are there any firearm assemblies that require more than one part be serialized under HB2005?

For example if I use an 80% blank (still in 80% configuration) as a forward grip on my AR15, would it have to be serialized as well as the AR lower?

Example 2: My upper only firearm would likely require a serial number if used by itself to fire a cartridge. What if I attach it to a serialized lower, would the upper still require serialization?

Last Edited:
Are there any firearm assemblies that require more than one part be serialized under HB2005?

For example if I use an 80% blank (still in 80% configuration) as a forward grip on my AR15, would it have to be serialized as well as the AR lower?

Example 2: My upper only firearm would likely require a serial number if used by itself to fire a cartridge. What if I attach it to a serialized lower, would the upper still require serialization?
Here's a link to the bill as signed: https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2023R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/HB2005

For your first example, it's still an unfinished receiver, so will need to have an ATF compliant serial number no matter what you attached it to. For your second example, I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Here's a link to the bill as signed: https://olis.oregonlegislature.gov/liz/2023R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/HB2005

For your first example, it's still an unfinished receiver, so will need to have an ATF compliant serial number no matter what you attached it to. For your second example, I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
I guess what It boils down to is that, I will have to incorporate a serialized frame or receiver into all of my future homemade firearms.

I guess what It boils down to is that, I will have to incorporate a serialized frame or receiver into all of my future homemade firearms.
Pretty much, yes... either by paying for a specific FFL to serialize your unserialized lowers, or buying stripped serialized lowers (Anderson, PSA/H&R, Aero, etc) through FFLs.

There seems to be no "grandfather" clause whatsoever, and if I'm reading it correctly, people who possesses unserialized receivers or frames have until Sept 1st 2024 to serialize them to comply?

I new there was a reason I bought so many lowers. I might have to buy a few more 5 packs on the next kygunco sale, just to be safe.
You do you. Just be aware that the people listed in the bill for who can serialize the "unfinished " frames or receivers also has to keep records and contact OSP. There's also a section that says cannot "import" unfinished frame or receiver unless it's to a FFL to transfer with serial numbers and records

Edit only two sections (4 and 5) takes effect Sept 1st 2024. The rest are now in effect. Edit. I was looking at the Engrossed and not the Enrolled one.

Last Edited:
It looks like to me if the gun is already finished then it dose not have to be serialized. They keep referring to unfinished frames or am I missing something ?
There's also "a person may not knowingly possess a firearm unless the firearm has been imprinted with a serial number by a FFL manufacturer, importer, or dealer, or a gunsmith with a FFL in accordance to Federal law". It does not apply to "Antique firearms", " firearms manufactured prior to October 22, 1968", "permanently inoperable firearms".

Edit this is Section 4.

There's also "a person may not knowingly possess a firearm unless the firearm has been imprinted with a serial number by a FFL manufacturer, importer, or dealer, or a gunsmith with a FFL in accordance to Federal law". It does not apply to "Antique firearms", " firearms manufactured prior to October 22, 1968", "permanently inoperable firearms".

Edit this is Section 4.
I guess I skipped over that part. But the funny part is federal law dose not prohibit you from making your own gun and not serializing it. https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/homemade-guns-are-they-legal-must-they-be-registered.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews