JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm replacing the heater core. I read on the net about some of these installs needing a flow restrictor near the heater core? Is this true? If anyone has any experience on this I'd love the input. Thanks!!!

or are you talking about a restrictor that goes on the heater hose inlet line and stops a bunch of coolant blasting into the heater core? ive heard of those and it probably wont hurt but may reduce heating performance. run it with it and then if it lacks adequate heat, take it out

I believe they are used on older vintage heater cores that might start to leak when the water pump is replaced because tearing into the original heater compartment would ruin the value of a classic car.

AFAIK, the only restriction in that line is that one hose is larger than the other.
Heat direction is via doors in the box that surrounds the core, when installed (a friend showed me how to make one from an old shoebox, once).
I think your best bet is to look everything over, once you get the old core out and see if you see any kind of restrictor in the line. If not, then I wouldn't worry about it.
JMHO.

Dean

My 71 and 72 have no such thing. But both are non ac. But even then I don't think it matters. I wouldn't mess with it. Just replaced my heater core on my 71. Easy in and out.

I dropped the inner fender to access the lower bolt.

Thanks all!
My inner fender is bolt on style. Lol! But after tearing down engine side, I figured out I had to go from the cab side. All signs show that this things been leaking for several years. Only thing that may cause annoyance is the thickness of the new core. The hanger clamps may not fit.

very common issue. I had the same troubles. Seems to be a common theme. I did get mine to fit. It's snug. I remember there was a specific way to get the brackets on. It involved getting the ends over the pipe end first and then flipping it over the ends to the non pipe side. It was like a dance haha.

another issue to be cautious about is the increased thickness can cause issues with the bracket screws. With the original style core that's slightly thinner you just screw in the brackets. But with the thinner ones if you just screw them on, they will puncture the core since it's thicker. I had to slightly ground down the pointy screws maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch to avoid that. It didn't mess with the mounting since that part of the screw was just hanging in space.

very common issue. I had the same troubles. Seems to be a common theme. I did get mine to fit. It's snug. I remember there was a specific way to get the brackets on. It involved getting the ends over the pipe end first and then flipping it over the ends to the non pipe side. It was like a dance haha.

another issue to be cautious about is the increased thickness can cause issues with the bracket screws. With the original style core that's slightly thinner you just screw in the brackets. But with the thinner ones if you just screw them on, they will puncture the core since it's thicker. I had to slightly ground down the pointy screws maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch to avoid that. It didn't mess with the mounting since that part of the screw was just hanging in space.
I will see what the thickness is when I pick it up today. But from what I've studied I think the new ones are thinner not thicker. But I might be wrong. Again!

i just happen to have a heater core for the 67 to 72 chevy trucks if you need one or any specs on my old OEM heater core.... i've had this in my spare parts stash for 20+ years

Thanks all!
My inner fender is bolt on style. Lol! But after tearing down engine side, I figured out I had to go from the cab side. All signs show that this things been leaking for several years. Only thing that may cause annoyance is the thickness of the new core. The hanger clamps may not fit.
In my experience, Heater cores for trucks with A/C are larger than Heater Cores for trucks without.

***You may have the wrong heater core***

In my experience, Heater cores for trucks with A/C are larger than Heater Cores for trucks without.

***You may have the wrong heater core***
Thanks. I looked and asked at NAPA for the ac version. They said this is it. But maybe they and I are wrong. I installed it tonight. The hanger wires are the biggest pain.

Easy fix... buy a Ford. It won't even start when it's cold so no need for a heater core. Leave it in the driveway and drive the wife's Dodge til spring.

Under no circumstances should you attempt to replace the Ford's heater core... if God wanted your windshield defrosted and the passenger side floor less rusty, He wouldn't have made it so cold and wet... I think that's in the Scriptures (revised).

ETA: Oddly, I feel the need to clarify... I mean the above only as a joke. A good-natured ribbing at brand loyalties. Also, I'm 100% sure that God's own hand impacting frozen windshields or rusty cab floors is never mentioned (even once) in The Bible.
Lotsa butthurt going around lately, I'd hate to be the cause of a CTE...(Catastrophic Triggering Event).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads