JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i just recently purchased a 1939 8mm Turkish Mauser that i intend to shoot until i run out of ammo. HOWEVER! Upon inspecting the rifle closer i found a small crack in the wood midway down the side of the rifle. Having never in my life done any sort of wood repair (Much less that on wooden firearms this old) i was wondering how i should attempt to fix this. Is there any sort of home solution with glue i might consider or is this a gunsmith level problem? Here are some pictures of the crack, i did my best to get good quality.
20170402_173615.jpg
20170402_173715.jpg
1.jpg

Last Edited:
Can we get more of a situational pic to see *where* it is, that can make a difference to whether it's safe to shoot or not.

Well, i don't think it's going to cause any issues using it, however, i would want to fix that if it were mine, but then, i am that way ;)

You can use regular wood glue, but i *think* that this would possibly be a drill, dowel pin with glue.

I'd take it apart to see the actual extent.. often one can "fix"/attack a crack much better from different angles/sides. Take it apart to see.

Well, i don't think it's going to cause any issues using it, however, i would want to fix that if it were mine, but then, i am that way ;)

You can use regular wood glue, but i *think* that this would possibly be a drill, dowel pin with glue.
Oh i for sure want to do something about it. Even if i take it out tomorrow and it works flawlessly i dont like leaving the idea of leaving that crack alone. Any brand recommendations for the wood glue? If you are leaning more towards the dowel pin fix i will look into finding a gunsmith for it. Im just not comfortable doing the drill work myself on something like this.

I'm not a woodsmith or a gunsmith, but were it mine and just a shooter, I'd be tempted to use Gorilla Glue on it (follow the directions) and inject it fully into the crack with a syringe (feed store).

Just a main brand wood glue, it's not fancy stuff. If you want fancy stuff, you can use Acriglas, but as it's not technically structural, i wouldn't care.

Taking it apart is great advice, you'd never repair it whilst assembled anyway. Drilling and dowelling is daunting, i have not yet done it, but there are a *lot* of videos out there, it doesn't look too hard.

Sounds like the general consensus is this is small enough a crack to get away with gorilla wood glue and a clamp so ill go that route and use a syringe to make sure the glue fully penetrates the crack after disassembly. According to F2CMaDMaXX it might be fine even without the repair (I was told at the time of purchase it had been fired previously anyway) but i REALLY like this gun (They had me sold when i manipulated the bolt for the first time) so i wanna make it last.

Gorilla glue works great on wood. Does hammer handle repair very well. thought it would do everything. Glued coffee cup handle and held good for about 2 years then dropped the cup in my lap one day.

If you can squeeze wood glue into that crack and hold it tight, you should be fine IMO. You can use that medical rubber band stuff to hold it tight in, as it will continue to keep it tight even if it gives at all.
Is there is give to it at the moment if you push it in?

Medic, that's a great repair :)

If you can squeeze wood glue into that crack and hold it tight, you should be fine IMO. You can use that medical rubber band stuff to hold it tight in, as it will continue to keep it tight even if it gives at all.
Is there is give to it at the moment if you push it in?

Medic, that's a great repair :)
No give at all. The crack is much more noticeable in the picture than in person. Its small enough that i might even have a hard time getting the glue into it with a hospital needle.

You might not really have an option to glue it if you can't get any to soak in, you might have to just live with it :( I know i would want to try though.

Looking at the pictures though, there does appear to be a little opening along the crack, i think you'll get something in there will a needle.

If there is lifted wood there, running your finger over it will tell if it stands proud, then it should be possible to clamp it up a little, it'll just take more force.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top