JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for ideas plz on how to fill round hole in grips. Grips came with brass tacks from my grandma's sofa (kidding). I knew I didn't like them when ordering but grips were very cheap and I figured I could fill the hole somehow. Only thing I can think of is put a dowel in there and then sand it flat? Grip contours suck so I will be sanding it anyway to reshape them. Looking for ideas plz. Brass furniture type tack is in lower right on photo. I put sharpie on it to make it black. Thanks!

81B59E0E-1BC1-41CA-A22D-78B123CF0F65.png

The ideal would be to find a similar piece of walnut and shape a plug with the grain oriented correctly. Wait until you have the grip recontoured so you can get the edges right. Make a tapered shape so you don't have to get everything perfect, just where it meets the surface.

If you want it to match, look for same wood with similar grain structure and cut out a dowl. Keep some saw dust from the cut to mix with wood glue to finish things up.

Otherwise an ornate pin might look nice. Or some funky resin pattern.

You could buy a wood plug cutter and remove a section from the backside of one of the grips.
If you're careful, you might be able to match the wood grain.
Amazon sells an 8pc cutter set for under $15.00

Yep, dowel.
Chuck up a short piece into a drill motor and with sandpaper spin it to the correct diameter.
Then cut it and tap it into the hole....use wood glue.
Then start your grip sanding process and blend it in.

Some abalone would look nice…. JK
I like the idea of accent in metal or a coin.
Matching grain with another piece of wood would be tedious.

Do the popular epoxy thing…. With LED lighting behind it…

What ever you do its gonna show, Since you already have a screw, How about after shaping, find the closest brass screw that matches the one already there, cut it to length so it doesn't stick out the back side, epoxy it in. Then sand and polish it along with the finishing. it will look like it belongs there with the other one.

Well it looks like the solution presented itself. After removing the furniture tack and starting sanding I realized the whole thing is way too wide. Also the hole is shallow. So the hole will disappear after I sand it into a comfortable size. As is the grips are horribly, thick, blocky, angular, edgy, and uncomfortable.

As you can see in the pics they are much wider than the stock plastic grips. So the only thing that will be left after sanding is the little hole from the tack in the center which will be easy to fill. I guess it's better to have it too wide and sand it down to fit than have it too thin. So that part is good I suppose.

Thanks for the ideas. Cheers!

45C9021B-F33C-42F9-BD82-4FA69E2AF18B.jpeg EE8A72F8-9939-470F-B8D4-799777DC1150.jpeg EB1F8CED-09B2-4469-AD76-41DCA2E3B64C.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews