JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh hell yes. My club says they tried shooting golf balls at 100 yards in their normal fashion "once", but it "took too long and too many rounds". I say bring on that challenge again. I'd use 223, 22-250, 6.5 creed. Should only take 5 shots..

View attachment 531351

Lilhigbee, are you reading this ^^^^:s0133:

Had you been there you would understand the reluctance to try it again. That being said, our setup at the time was pizz-poor. I have no doubt you can hit a golf ball regularly at 100 yards, but try it when it is dancing the funky chicken. We had one string across the end of the range and all ten golf balls hanging off that string. As soon as one was hit they all started to move. Not only were they swinging, they were bouncing up and down as well. And we had duct-taped them rather than hot-glueing like we do now. A .338 will not knock off a golf ball that has been duct-taped to a piece of string. Poor Richard went through a few of boxes of .338 Win Mag!! With our proper stands and better attachment methods it would be fun to try it again. Remind me when the weather clears up and I'll bring it up.
Sorry for the thread drift, but I wanted to answer @bsa1917hunter.
I'll probably just shoot my pistol;:D
WP_20161022_002.jpg

If you want a challenge ....try shooting a BBQ Briquette hanging from a sting at 25-100 yards....
I have done this with several of my muzzleloaders and .22 rifles...it should just as much fun with a .17HMR.
Andy

Had you been there you would understand the reluctance to try it again. That being said, our setup at the time was pizz-poor. I have no doubt you can hit a golf ball regularly at 100 yards, but try it when it is dancing the funky chicken. We had one string across the end of the range and all ten golf balls hanging off that string. As soon as one was hit they all started to move. Not only were they swinging, they were bouncing up and down as well. And we had duct-taped them rather than hot-glueing like we do now. A .338 will not knock off a golf ball that has been duct-taped to a piece of string. Poor Richard went through a few of boxes of .338 Win Mag!! With our proper stands and better attachment methods it would be fun to try it again. Remind me when the weather clears up and I'll bring it up.
View attachment 531609
Sounds like fun man. That richard put himself through a lot of abuse with that 338. I can imagine the chaos though. Ill bring up a dueling tree for you guys to try out with our pistols. Should be just as much fun as bowling pins.

View attachment 531609
That pistol is a damn tack driver. You may want to put a higher power scope on it though. You are also at a slight disadvantage with a single shot. Im sure you would still do pretty well though.

I have a used ruger single six in 17hmr on its way. It will probably get scoped. Because why shoot 17hmr if you aren't up for hunting flys at 100 yards?

Last Edited:
I have recently acquired a 17hmr in a savage bolt rifle. I am at a loss as to the reason for this round. I have always thought a 22LR was a pretty good all around little cartridge. There has got to be reason so many shoot this cartridge. WHY.?
You must not have shot it yet. I'd suggest a sage rat trip with it and your favorite.22 rimfire...then report back.

I own a CZ454 in .17 HMR to fill the gap between .22LR and my .22-250 for varmint hunting. The .17 HMR is overkill at 50 yds. or less for me. I use my .22LR for short range. The .22-250 is to reach out 150-400 yds. for varmints. The .17 HMR is to fill that 50-150 yd. gap on varmints, which it does quite well.

The 17HMR is allot like the 9mm it fills a void. I think the 9mm covers enough power to get allot done over the .380
yet the 9mm is more then enough for many applications.
I think the 17HMR fills that void in a similar way. Another nice thing is the 17hmr doesn't go pewpewpew, like a 22LR
does.:D

I have a 17 in lever action. It is a super fun gun to shoot. It shoots flatter and is more accurate than the 22LR. I had wanted a 17 and I also wanted a lever gun. When I saw both combined in one package at the gun show, it went home with me. Again, it is FUN to shoot.

If you want a challenge ....try shooting a BBQ Briquette hanging from a sting at 25-100 yards....
I have done this with several of my muzzleloaders and .22 rifles...it should just as much fun with a .17HMR.
Andy

Shooting Briquettes in the snow is great, a hit explodes in black smoke against the white snow background. The 17 works very well for doing this.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top