JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a CZ455 combo rifle. Comes with 22 LR and 17 HMR barrels. One day, I'll find a reason to use that 22 barrel.

The 17 HMR feeds better, shoots flatter, and is more accurate at longer distances. Its far more frangible and at 17 to 25gr, the bullets run out of steam pretty quick once they hit something.

AND

Since it shoots flatter, the difference in hold-under and hold-over arent as extreme. Takes less thought when you should be shooting.

Any critter I'd shoot with a rimfire and expect to eat would get one in the head. Dont care if the head explodes.

I've always wanted to add a 17hmr to the mix. Figure it would make a great squirrel gun. I may someday. Someday.

maxresdefault.jpg

this is similar to my own Savage: accutrigger a definite positive; thumb hole actually becomes very comfortable in short order, and I have come to enjoy the dangly thing hanging off the front end:rolleyes:

I had the Savage 17hmr heavy barrel and thumb hole stock and my CZ 452 Varmint .22lr or American .22lr would outshoot it groupwise out to 75 yards or so. And 10 bucks for 50 rounds ? I would recommend a CZ

This is around Prineville at the foothills of grizzly mountain. We have gone there for years to camp, shoot, hunt, rockhound just dont piss off the owner. Had a blast clearing his fields of rats. But he doesnt want you shooting centerfires like a 5.56, its a cattle ranch also. We were down camping a few weeks ago and no rats to be seen. He would allow 5.56 for yotes, but thats not like hi volume sage rat hunting. The kill truck came out and took down 2 cows. 22 mag between the eyes, just off to one side. Dropped em like rocks. I saw young bulls get branded and their nuts cut out and ears notched. Talk about a bad day.

P1010951.JPG P1010899.JPG P1010951.JPG
P1010961.JPG
P1010959.JPG
A few fires started after a thunder storm. Plus what was already in the air. Smokey

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a Savage model 93 in stainless on sale at BiMart for less than $200. Put a cheap Barska 6.5-20x50mm scope on it. The combo is so accurate it's boring. But, as my daughter said, it instills a lot of confidence in someone learning to shoot.

some farmers have fields they want you shooting rimfire only. the 17 is a good one with that limitation. I like the complete lack of recoil in a handy weight rifle. seeing 20180904_192141.jpg the carnage through the scope is the best.

I have recently acquired a 17hmr in a savage bolt rifle. I am at a loss as to the reason for this round. I have always thought a 22LR was a pretty good all around little cartridge. There has got to be reason so many shoot this cartridge. WHY.?
Because it's even more than eleven is why.

th?id=OIP.phL6rrGeoRi64tLp_TJYcwHaEK&w=241&h=160&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.5&pid=1.jpg

I've got one that's a tack driver as well. Surprised me, wasn't expecting that level of accuracy. I love it.

But it wasn't as cheap as the savage sitting next to it.

I think I paid $249 for it at BiMart in Lincoln City. Was a whim purchase. Didn't expect much. Boy was I surprised.

Agree there's many ways to find accuracy. My old T22 Roooger with the hammer forged barrel & bipod, weighing all of 500 lbs in comparison, would dump 25 rounds into a thumb sized hole at 50 yards.

A new M60 Marlin put 10 rounds into a 1" circle at 50 yards.

My buddy's Anschutz would put 5 shots into nearly the same hole at 25 yards, and probably better. I just couldn't see well enough to do it justice beyond that range without a scope or bipod.

I have around here somewhere my astonishing 100 yard target from the 17, with 5 shots on the bullseye into smaller than a 1/2 dime. And yes, any wind was considerable influence.

The point here, is all these rifles brought promise of accuracy beyond what I had expected. They were open market products providing amazing accuracy satisfying the needs of a mediocre marksman. Ammo differences are a different discussion.

The challenge is practice and discipline, which cranks up the return of performance beyond previous levels. Performance of all these models has exceeded the monetary costs imho.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top