JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sounds like everyone with a 17 shoots one hole groups.

Kens camera 232.jpg
IMG_1359.JPG

I have two (ss/blued) Savage 93's from when they first came out. These are of course pre-accu trigger but Rifle Basix had come out with an adjustable sear, I have the pull set at 13oz on the stainless and it functions excellent. Both have the heavy barrel as that's the only way they came at the time.

My brother asked what was so special (he's a 22mag fan) until I let him shoot it. He bought one and now has the thumb hole SS version also.
I am contemplating getting the A17 but not sure if the magazine issues have been cleared up.

I have two (ss/blued) Savage 93's from when they first came out. These are of course pre-accu trigger but Rifle Basix had come out with an adjustable sear, I have the pull set at 13oz on the stainless and it functions excellent. Both have the heavy barrel as that's the only way they came at the time.

My brother asked what was so special (he's a 22mag fan) until I let him shoot it. He bought one and now has the thumb hole SS version also.
I am contemplating getting the A17 but not sure if the magazine issues have been cleared up.
I haven't had any issues with my mags. However I have the laminated stock version. By the way, my A17 also has no problems with regular ol 17hmr ammo, until it gets dirty (around 350 rounds downrange). I wanted to make sure there would be no problems with regular ammo. The A17 ammo, however, is very dirty stuff. I probably won't buy anymore of it.

At one time I was a .22 K-Hornet shooter. I had built one on a small Martini receiver
and it was a death ray on Digger Squirrels. :eek:

I haven't tried one, but I've wondered what the advantage of a .17 would be and why
a rimfire, which can't be reloaded? o_O

If I found a 17 hornet, now that would be super tempting. They are few and far between these days compared to rimfire.

One day a buddy and I were at BiMart and he got sick of not being able to find .22 ammo (this was a couple of yrs ago). He said Eff-it, and bought a Savage bolt action 17HMR rifle right there... we had a blast w it. He later added a Boyd's stock and a small rimfire scope and I've been jealously coveting that rig ever since.

I had(before that tragic boat accident;)) a Savage 17HMR, bull barrel, Stainless Steel, thumb-hole stock, bolt action.
There is zero comparison between that and a 22LR, its about like comparing a 17HMR to a .223 they are not even in the same ballpark.
The 17HMR is simply more accurate at a much longer range caliber, and tend to be a pretty reliable round.
I had picked up that 17HMR because anything over 75-100yds was pushing it to hit with any accuracy what so ever with a 22LR.
The 17 HMR, seems pretty content at that range, we have sage rats at the ranch and this also allows you to pick them off before they see you. A 22lr requires a closer range and these little buggers tend to see you coming when a 22LR. I love the 22LR round for plinking and some small game, but the 17HMR just takes it to a whole other level and is truly what one would call a Varmint Rifle, even seen many Yotes taken out with these, something a 22Lr would be difficult to do being yotes don't stand still and the 17HMR moves twice as fast. Thats my take,

I bet if you ever have a back-40 (acreage) that is infested with 50,000 vermin digging holes and making babies, you'd prolly understand the reason for this round!

Plus, put that round in your hand and it. Is. So. Cute!
This comment cracked me up, because that is exactly what I thought the first time I held one of these rounds. Then I shot one and was amazed at how loud it was. There is certainly some zip to this round. My plain jane Savage .17 HMR shoots groups at 100yds that are about the same as the 50yd groups I shoot with my Ruger Precision Rimfire in .22. It is a tack driver.

And if you want to go shoot 500 rounds. That's only 100 bucks. :confused:

I will use my 5.56 reloads when I get out there at longer distance. I would love to see some 200 yard groups with the 17hmr.

And if you want to go shoot 500 rounds. That's only 100 bucks. :confused:

I will use my 5.56 reloads when I get out there at longer distance. I would love to see some 200 yard groups with the 17hmr.
Currently my local range only has 100 yds available, so I have never had a chance to shoot at 200 yds. As I understand it, 200 yds is somewhat challenging for the .17 HMR because it is so light it is easily affected by wind. If I get a chance to shoot at 200 I will fill you in on the results.

I remember when .22lr was almost nonexistent but yet I could .17hmr. I love this round i also love my .22 mag.
I have a friend who has kill three or four coyotes using a .17 hmr at 100 yards with head shots (that's one shot per dog)
It's a great round, nice real nice
Whack! Good bye varmint cong.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top