JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay you smart folks out there...

I found some fired .357 brass last year laying at the range. I got all excited because one doesn't find revolver brass for free very often. Woo hooo free brass! After I got them clean and shiny I notice that they have odd necks. By odd, I mean that they are "necked" down looking right above the brass cannelure where a factory projectile would seat. Also, there are fine scratch marks like a rough die (very constiently spaced) that go down to the cannelure mark.

Very curious. It reminds me of a fluted chamber in an H&K but only on the neck. And it looks more like scratches. I'm not aware of any revolver that would leave fired brass looking like that.

Is there some kind of conversion I'm not aware of? What about that Coonan .357 automatic? Anybody got one? Would the chamber do that to the brass?

The inside neck dimension on a fired case measures .343 o_O . Some kind of goofy wildcat?

Headstamp is .357 mag in several brands of brass. Really odd. Never seen anything quite like it.

I'm still going to load it light once and send it downrange:p.

I hope what I'm talking about shows in the pics.

1000002647.jpg 1000002646.jpg 1000002649.jpg 1000002648.jpg

Not up on revolver rounds too much. What's the ID of the case mouth? What is it necked down to? There's an auto cartridge called .32NAA which is a .380 auto necked down to .32...maybe something similar, but for revolver. Hmmm, 357-32mag. Wonder how it would do?

Could it be 256 win mag? or something like that? on refection, maybe some kind of 8mm projectile for some wierd harrold europian cartridge?????

Last Edited:
Deprime with a hammer and nail.
Neck size with pliers.
Seat bullet with a hammer.

Cases will look like that.

🤣

Bruce

My theory: someone reloaded these with .355 bullets as they were easier to find than .357. After firing, the brass returned to a simi neutral state and ended up around .343 due to the pressure.

Edit: now that I think about it, that doesn't work either. oh well!

Good luck finding out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads