JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My non-brass cases were a big lot of R-P nickel style. I've had very low fracture rate from them, but absolutely zero with the brass-brass mix I've accumulated. All started with new status, either New Loads or New Brass to feed my reloading habit.... oddly you rarely find '10mm' range brass laying about in my sector.....

IMG_3482.JPG

My non-brass cases were a big lot of R-P nickel style. I've had very low fracture rate from them, but absolutely zero with the brass-brass mix I've accumulated. All started with new status, either New Loads or New Brass to feed my reloading habit.... oddly you rarely find '10mm' range brass laying about in my sector.....

Mine as well. I'm always running around grabbing 10mm brass off the range floor. I get a lot of weird looks at my range since 95% of shooters there barely know how to load a magazine and pull a trigger.

Anyways the nickel plated stuff is expected to have a reduced life span. Not sure why this is the case, perhaps nickel isn't as maleable as brass and causes the underlying brass to be more prone to splitting?

Not sure why this is the case, perhaps nickel isn't as maleable as brass and causes the underlying brass to be more prone to splitting?

In my long career in Cowboy Action matches, most often I used 45LC both pistol & carbine. Tried the same experiment over a decade of low-pressure cowboy loads. While my "reloaded # of times" was not exact data, most of my brass lasted dozens & dozens of reload cycles. Failure to cracked brass was perhaps average 3% per match (>175 rounds each/twice month or more) the split nickel cases ran about 3:1 brass brass. Almost all the brass case splits were case mouth, rare was the 2/3 case length. Almost all the nickel brass splits were mid-body & not as far as case mouth. Same powder loads, same lead boolits.

In my long career in Cowboy Action matches, most often I used 45LC both pistol & carbine. Tried the same experiment over a decade of low-pressure cowboy loads. While my "reloaded # of times" was not exact data, most of my brass lasted dozens & dozens of reload cycles. Failure to cracked brass was perhaps average 3% per match (>175 rounds each/twice month or more) the split nickel cases ran about 3:1 brass brass. Almost all the brass case splits were case mouth, rare was the 2/3 case length. Almost all the nickel brass splits were mid-body & not as far as case mouth. Same powder loads, same lead boolits.

I think it's hard to compare 45LC cowboy loads to 10mm loads, especially full power.

In the case of 45LC the pressure is about half. I'd expect your 45 LC failures to come from repeatedly belling the mouth of the case and crimping.

The 10mm pressure is going to make the brass flow and the walls to become thinner. The low pressure 45LC cases supposedly even shrink after multiple firings because of the low pressure.

I'd expect your 45 LC failures to come from repeatedly belling the mouth of the case and crimping.
agree on the difference in full power high pressure vs low pressure case dynamics; however most of my 10mm loads are at the lower end of the recipe scale as well;

in this case your supposition is flawed, as there is very little belling and very little crimping as both are minimal in such loads. And the nickel cases had the same process, same die belling/crimping, etc.

Among some of the odd brass fatigue I've seen, a few times an otherwise good case made it thru the 650 to develop a crack in transit in the plastic 50/round storage case on the way to the range.

The biggest issue with such splits was potential to jam up the carbine; the SAA revolvers might need a little TLC but never really much of a problem.

agree on the difference in full power high pressure vs low pressure case dynamics; however most of my 10mm loads are at the lower end of the recipe scale as well;

in this case your supposition is flawed, as there is very little belling and very little crimping as both are minimal in such loads. And the nickel cases had the same process, same die belling/crimping, etc.

If your 10mm loads are light enough to make you think you won't have issues with fatiguing the cases, but the cases are still splitting, I think your answer is clear; low durability cases.

I find Nickel plated brass tends to be Harder then strait brass, has issues running through my Dies and getting back to specs with out damage tot he case! I rarely run plated brass, especially any thing I would want to reload! I don't know if the plating it's self is harder, or a reaction of the plating process that work hardens the alloy to unacceptable levels!

Mine as well. I'm always running around grabbing 10mm brass off the range floor. I get a lot of weird looks at my range since 95% of shooters there barely know how to load a magazine and pull a trigger.

Anyways the nickel plated stuff is expected to have a reduced life span. Not sure why this is the case, perhaps nickel isn't as maleable as brass and causes the underlying brass to be more prone to splitting?
I do not reload, and mostly buy Underwood Ammo and they make a lot of choices. They use a different Nickel Case, here is their description

Underwood Ammo™ bonded rounds are unrivaled in power and precision. We utilize Speer bonded bullets which employ an exclusive Uni-Cor process where they bond the jacket to the core one molecule at a time. This essentially eliminates core-jacket separation, maximizes weight retention, and allows for unparalleled penetration and controlled yet fatal expansion.

Nickel plated casings with our new nickel plating process provides several key benefits, not limited to but including; improved feeding in all actions of firearms, enhanced corrosion resistance over traditional brass, improved cosmetics, and ease of cleanup during reloading. Nickel plated casings will not tarnish like brass during storage or when in contact with foreign materials such as leather, moisture, and other metals.

Until the development of the Ducta-Bright 7a process, nickel plating casings often limited the number of reloads as compared to raw brass. It was claimed that nickel plated brass casings embrittled the brass therefor making it less desirable for reloaders despite the ease of cleanup that nickel plating offers. In addition, ammunition engineers raising concerns of using nickel plating in very hot +P or magnum loads found that traditional nickel plating often cracked deep-drawn cases, or worse, lead to a total failure. This new process eliminates any concern, to the shooter or reloader, of hazard or ability to re-use the brass.

As with all of Underwood Ammo™ rounds, we utilize flash suppressed powder so that your vision will not be compromised if it becomes necessary to use your firearm in low light.

While taking advantage of our state of the art testing equipment, this high performance ammunition is field tested using popular, real firearms that our customers are most likely to own out in the real world with all the elements you would experience. If for some reason Underwood Ammunition fails to meet performance expectations, we stand by our product 100% and will make sure the customer is satisfied with every purchase.

This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical Information:
  • Caliber:10mm Auto
  • Bullet Weight:180 Grains
  • Bullet Style: Speer Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point
  • Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Plated Brass
Ballistics Information:
  • Muzzle Velocity:1300 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 676 ft. lbs.
"

I have been reloading 10 mm for a while now, settled on 13.4 Gr Blue Dot under any thing 180 to 200 gr bullets with no pressure issues, and so far no split brass.
Are you sure of 13.4 @ 180/200? What kind of velocities are you getting? (My Speer and Alliant's online tops out at 11 grains of BD for 180 = 1295 fps)

Are you sure of 13.4 @ 180/200? What kind of velocities are you getting? (My Speer and Alliant's online tops out at 11 grains of BD for 180 = 1295 fps)

I'll let him speak for his own recipe, but I've seen @Ura-Ki claim some freaking crazy velocities out of 10mm.

Way above book, handle with care.

I wouldn't put them in my gun. But I believe him when he says 13.4gr

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews