JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good news for those of you who sell stuff online. Like eBay, Gunbroker, etc. The $600 reporting threshold for getting a 1099-K form has been put off for another year. So you don't have to worry about it for another tax year, you're safe for 2022. What a last minute deal; resolution to this situation wasn't able to come about through the recent government budget bill. So the IRS issued their own ruling on it which implemented the delay. I didn't know an executive branch department could do that, override something that came out of Congressional law. But I'm glad it did in this case.

The IRS issued some clarifying instructions about how to proceed next year. If you are selling personal property at no profit, you can report that on a Schedule 1 form as "additional income," then offset the appropriate amount in "adjustments to additional income." Basically, in and out on the same form, different sides.

If you sell personal property (or other stuff) for profit, that part of what was reported on the 1099-K form you report on Schedule D, Form 1040. Keep receipts, records and whatever documentation you need to support basis cost and sales cost of these items. Like a business.

If you sell on Gunbroker, this will concern you on aggregate sales over $600. You don't want to pay tax on the full amount that the 1099-K reflects, you want to offset what the gun cost you, plus expenses. That is, assuming you are making money on the deal. If you happen to be selling at a loss, I'd think it was wise to keep records anyway. In an audit, the IRS might want to see receipts on items of higher value that are being claimed as a sale of personal property. .

It looks to me like rule of thumb, if you are losing money on a sale, it's personal property and exempt from income tax. If you are making money on selling an object, it's a business sale and profits are subject to income taxation.

There does seem to be some silliness in this whole thing. Meaning, there is still a lot left for the individual to sweep under the rug. An audit of a taxpayer selling over $600 but substantially less than the old threshold of $20K and 200 items would cost more in IRS labor than revenue recovered. I'm thinking the law might bear more fruit from those sellers who are sailing closer to the old $20K limit.

Last Edited:
I wonder how many people selling items on eBay or forums, etc will go back to requiring a check or money order? I know I sold a few things on line this year and that's the only way I'll take payment in the future. I'm quite relieved about the irs stalling this policy because this year would have been a mess for me. Im guessing they needed more time to hire all the extra Jack booted thugs they'll need for enforcement.

I wonder how many people selling items on eBay or forums, etc will go back to requiring a check or money order? I know I sold a few things on line this year and that's the only way I'll take payment in the future. I'm quite relieved about the irs stalling this policy because this year would have been a mess for me. Im guessing they needed more time to hire all the extra Jack booted thugs they'll need for enforcement.
That will be a problem both ways. LOT of buyers will just pass over anything they have to go buy a M/O for, I know I would. Personal checks if not drawn on some national bank could be another fun one for the seller. If they can't walk in and cash it how long do they have to wait to find out if the checks any good and not stolen and such?

I will be selling off a knife collection. I will probably take in less than what I paid overall. However I don't have receipts for most of them I bought over 20 years ago. I don't see how I can use Pay Pal and then try and justify it to the IRS. So, I plan on accepting USPS Money Orders. Some may not like paying that way, but I don't want to deal with the IRS trying to prove that I am not making a profit.

This new rule may well put Pay Pal out of business.

Last Edited:
Have I got this straight? I buy something with money I already earned and was already taxed on , then when I get bored with the item, I already paid taxes on, I get taxed again when I sell it ?

I will be selling off a knife collection. I will probably take in less than what I paid overall. However I don't have receipts for most of them I bought over 20 years ago. I don't see how I can use Pay Pal and then try and justify it to the IRS. So, I plan on accepting USPS Money Orders. Some may not like paying that way, but I don't want to deal with the IRS trying to prove that I am not making a profit.

This new rule may well put Pay Pal out of business.
Going to hurt a lot of people if they do this. Buyers? Few are going to be willing to go buy a Postal M/O these days so this will greatly limit the pool of buyers. Just way too many places to buy stuff that you don't have to go buy a M/O for. Buyers if they do start sending M/O's first thing that will happen next is stuff paid for will never show up. Then buyer is at the mercy of the seller. Seller will never really know is buyer who claims item never got there telling the truth? This may well put an end to Ebay if they do this. PayPal had their fingers in a lot of other stuff so they will take a hit but may still continue as a card possessor. This site uses PP to process cards when people donate to it. Leave it to the Gov to again get involved in something and just make a huge mess. After they make the mess the law makers will pretend they had nothing to do with it. Should be fun to watch.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top