JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Old timer here with a lifetime of shooting and reading about shooting. In my younger days the gun magazines came out with list of the fun gun they thought everyone should own. Decades have passed and many of those guns are no longer available but the question for everyone young and old is what 10 handguns should everyone own?

I will start:)

Luger
COLT SAA
Smith 29
Smith 17
Browning High Power
Walther PPK
Colt Python
Colt Detective Special
Sig 210

An old man's list, it will be interesting what ya'll think:D

Old timer here with a lifetime of shooting and reading about shooting. In my younger days the gun magazines came out with list of the fun gun they thought everyone should own. Decades have passed and many of those guns are no longer available but the question for everyone young and old is what 10 handguns should everyone own?

I will start:)

Luger
COLT SAA
Smith 29
Smith 17
Browning High Power
Walther PPK
Colt Python
Colt Detective Special
Sig 210

An old man's list, it will be interesting what ya'll think:D

It looks like old guys think alike, as I wouldn't make any changes to your list. :)

I not a big handgun guy...but I do like 'em
My top ten list in no particular order:
1911 / 1911A1 ( be it a Colt , Remington etc ... )
Colt Single Action Army ( or excellent clone )
Smith & Wesson model 15
Smith & Wesson model 28
Smith & Wesson model 17
Smith & Wesson "Outdoorsman" ... .38 Special on a "N" Frame
Ruger Security Six
Colt 1851 Navy ( or excellent clone )
Colt 1860 Army ( or excellent clone )
H&R 649....Just 'cause it was my first Hand gun and I still can hit with it...:D
Andy

Desert Eagle - all barrels n bolts
1911 in .45acp
1911 in 9mm
Beretta 92
Glock 17/19
AR in 9mm
AR in 300blk
Ruger GP100 SS 6" .357
Ruger MK2 competition .22lr
S&W 500 8-10" barrel

Most of these are way out of my price range now but if I could afford them, those are the first 10 I would buy and keep.

My list for me, 1911's. At least a couple, #1. Then some kind of small and sub compacts. I have many in everything from .22 to 9mm. If I could only keep a couple it would be 1 9mm compact and one .380 Sub compact. These are for carry. Then last at least 2 nice .22s. For me this is autos but would to each his own as to style. These are plain old cheap fun and are great when some new shooter wants to learn. Have even used mine on shooters who had guns and were having trouble. One buddy I have known since he was a kid. He bought a few handguns when he turned of age and by the time I got to shoot with him he could not get on paper. Started him over with a .22. In no time he was on paper with his larger. Lastly at least one double stack high cap pistol. I'm not naming any certain brand since there is just too damn many great ones out there now to choose from. If I had to pair mine down to only 10? They would come from this bunch.

I like your lists, but I can't list a top ten to save my butt!
I've owned and shot a pile of handguns since I was a kid. In all of my hobbies/sports, I like to play with different toys/tools. I like the different experiences, but can't afford to just keep collecting. I have "wheeled and dealed" my through a lot of different guns and burned a bunch of powder. There wasn't one that I seriously didn't like shooting.
Several guns listed above I've not shot, but have shot similar guns in the same calibers. I've never shot a BP handgun or a Luger, so they're on my short "to do" list.
Other than those two, my list would include different types of handguns more so than specific models of handguns.
.22LR handgun both revolver and semi auto. Reasonable sized plinkers for tin cans.
Service revolver (38 Special, 357) Both D/A and S/A (this includes SAA and clones)
Duty type/CCW Semi Auto (9mm, 40, 45)
Glock
Snubbie revolver (38 Special, 9mm. 357 if you wanna find pain!)
Pocket pistols (25, 32, 380, 9mm)
Big Honkin Revolvers! (41 Mag, 44 Mag, 454, 500!)

I say go out and try all kinds of stuff.

Out of this "Top Ten" list there are a few I've always kept or have come back around to.
Plinker/trainer; Ruger Standard 22 Super accurate, reliable plinker.
CCW; Taurus TCP When I can't hide anything bigger. Very simple gun.
S&W Shield 40 Easier to hide than the 1911 with same controls.
Dan Wesson 1911 CBOB 45ACP IWB when wearing a longer shirt or jacket. OWB out in the woods.

Outdoor/field; I really regretted selling my 686+ and was looking for a replacement when I tripped across a Model 69 44 Mag.
With it I cover two bases. Power of the Big Honkin Revolver, similar pain of the Snubbie 357!
:s0095:

Last Edited:
I'm with Orygun; ten is hard to do. My list probably changes with the seasons, but here is what I came up with today.

Dan Wesson Pistol pack in .357 Max
Colt SAA
Mouser Broomhandle
Luger
Integrally Suppressed Ruger Mk .22
Dan Wesson Titan
Infinity SV Masterpiece
S&W 460
WWII Colt 1911
H&K MK23

Colt or Springfield Gov Model
Colt Commander
Para or STI 2011
S&W 19
S&W 27
Ruger Blackhawk .44mag
Ruger Redhawk .357
Beretta Model 1935 or Browning Hi-Power or Glock 19
Remington 1875 44-40
SW 22 Victory or Browning Buck Mark or S&W model 17

Last Edited:
What I loved in the magazine articles is they would have a summary of why each model was great. Heck I really like shooting so they didn't need to tell me much to make me want another gun.:)

Yes on the whole list from everyone. I do know when i last shot semi auto i couldn't hit a barn door but a revolver i could hit the target. My list is one at a time. Right now trying to acquire a mr73. I think to each our own.

Colt 1911
Browning HiPower
Mauser C-96
Luger P-08
Colt Single Action .45
Webley MKIV
High Standard Model B
Colt Detetive Special
Walther PPK
SIG SAUER P226 or P229
SW Model 10 or 15
Webley Selfloading