JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd say make sure the screws that secure the barrel to the receiver are tightened evenly and then make sure the receiver is properly seated and secured in the stock and fire with the barrel band in place.

go the other direction, shim under the barrel a slight upward tension may work, stabilizing the barrel and reciever. easy enough to do with a couple of matchbook covers

So I've got a stainless syn 10/22 that just doesn't seem to be shooting well. It's got the newer style weaver/tip off rail. About 5+ years old, doesn't have a problem functioning with multiple brands of ammo. It's seen several thousand rounds. It's had 2 different scopes mounted on it and both are showing similar problems. Shooting Rem T-Bolts for the most part, with some Win X-pert.

The rail screws are tight and thread locked, the scope and rings are solid, but I'm getting some odd behavior on target. I took a scope that was on a different gun, but had to crank it way right (you can see from the pictures)

When I have the barrel band off, it's shooting like this: (POA was the center circle, POI was the upper left circle) Shooting high and left.
View attachment 209193

The center "group" was still in the process of moving the scope to POA and POI to the same spot. Note the vertical is better.

I installed the barrel band again and shot at the right circle. POA can be seen in this image. If you can call this a group:View attachment 209194

Ammo and gun were the same temperature, breeze was calm/none. Distance was about 30 yds. Shooting done from a supported position.

The original thought was that the holes in the receiver are drilled off-center. Checking the holes with a caliper, I'd say they are in spec.

I think we'll swap stocks next and try a different barrel band (with/without) and see if that can narrow it down any.

What you do think?
If you want a nice trigger kit try Kid Innovations . Mine had a terrible stock trigger I put one of their kits in and the trigger is a dream !!

I was glad to see someone resurrected this thread, as I just had the same problem with my 10/22.

No need to do anything drastic. Try loosening then re-torquing the takedown screw with a torque wrench. Mine was set to 24 lbs, and the groups were wide open. I went down 17 lbs., and the groups tightened right up. 36 grain CCI was touching holes at 50 yards with a cheapo Simmons 22 Mag Scope.

Full disclosure, I did replace the stock trigger on mine with a Ruger BX trigger, which, still has too much creep, but it is an improvement. IMO the stock trigger on the Ruger 10/22 is hot garbage.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top