JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Winchester 94AE 30-30

A friend of mine recently brought this over for me to tinker with. At some point in time someone tried to force the wrong type of ammo into the rifle. He had to take it apart to get the bullet out and during the process lost some parts (lol). I'm wondering if there is a kit or something I can purchase to plop in there. It looks like it's just the trigger assembly, but I am a complete novice. If anyone can offer suggestions on if this would be an easy to fix thing ourselves, if it's worth paying a gunsmith to fix, and so forth. Here is a few pictures of the rifle in question. If you need any more, different angles, just let me know.

IMG_1611.jpg IMG_1605.jpg IMG_1607.jpg IMG_1608.jpg IMG_1609.jpg

I found a video of the trigger reassembly. Not sure where I can purchase it though. Maybe gunbroker ? Or if any of you can fix this I'd be happy to pay you.

Last Edited:
There is not going to be a 'kit' to just 'plop' in there.

You will need to finish disassembly and print an 'exploded' parts diagram and identify what is missing. I can see just from looking at it there are several of the internal parts missing, along with the corresponding pins and screws - assuming the pics show all that is left. It is missing much more than just the 'trigger assembly'

The upside is there are a LOT of Winchester parts available but it might be a challenge and take some time to locate everything. The fact that it is an AE model narrows availability down a bit as opposed to earlier, non-AE styles.

If this were a non-AE model I would have probably everything to replace what is missing.

I am almost thinking it might be easier to sell it for parts as opposed to looking for all it needs.

Last Edited:
Numrich is a good choice, they will have an online exploded diagram you can compare with to see what's missing.
Jack First in Rapid City South Dakota may be just the ticket too, and not to be discounted, I might even try Brownells for miscellaneous and more generalized parts.
Good luck with your project.

I clicked on this expecting to see something like that rifle they found leaning against a tree for 100 years lol…That's not poor condition it's just missing parts…you should see some of the stuff I've actually shot before tinkering with 😂

To actually add something useful….numerich has already been mentioned, MGW has a lot of stuff (I've mostly gotten FN parts from them but they have other stuff)…check out "every gun part.com" might get lucky and find a "kit" …or I've had luck on both ebay and gunbroker fir random parts sometimes on eBay they don't know what the part is for so it's on you to know what you're looking at

Yeah, was the trigger assembly blown out due to the wrong ammo?
The OP said someone tried to 'force' the wrong ammo in and based on the pictures I am guessing it wasn't fired. Nothing looks 'blown out', and other than scratched up it appears to be just missing several parts such as the link, carrier and probably a few other things.

Wrong ammo in a gun is not an unusual issue but it would be a lot harder with a .30-30 considering the case is rimmed with a long neck, RN or FN bullet and doesn't resemble most 'typical' rifle ammo - UNLESS he stumbled on some .32 Winchester special and that was what was 'forced' in.

I also can't imagine even trying to 'force' ammon into a gun. If it doesn't chamber smoothly then obviously something is wrong and one should stop there !

Last Edited:
The OP said someone tried to 'force' the wrong ammo in and based on the pictures I am guessing it wasn't fired. Nothing looks 'blown out', and other than scratched up it appears to be just missing several parts such as the link, carrier and probably a few other things.

Wrong ammo in a gun is not an unusual issue but it would be a lot harder with a .30-30 considering the case is rimmed with a long neck, RN or FN bullet and doesn't resemble most 'typical' rifle ammo - UNLESS he stumbled on some .32 Winchester special and that was what was 'forced' in.

I also can't imagine even trying to 'force' ammon into a gun. If it doesn't chamber smoothly then obviously something is wrong and one should stop there !
Yeah well… that philosophy is all well and good for the intellect of recess monkeys, but we're talkin' HUMANS here….

:rolleyes:

7D18DF02-1288-46B7-98A2-8C764F203A79.jpeg

Here's another picture. Some of the parts are corroded, the link and the firing pin ? Thank you for the parts links! And the great information. Is this something that I'd need many specialized tools to fix or something it would be worth investing in ? My buddy said additional parts may have been lost from the bag.

IMG_1624.jpg

Last Edited:
Here's another picture. Some of the parts are corroded, the link and the firing pin ? Thank you for the parts links! And the great information. Is this something that I'd need many specialized tools to fix or something it would be worth investing in ? My buddy said additional parts may have been lost from the bag. Is there a schematic somewhere that I could identify all the pieces when I put it back together ? The owners manual does not seem to be detailed enough.

View attachment 1093853
Those internal parts should clean up without much trouble. It looks like you're probably not missing too much, mostly small parts, unless they're still in the gun. No special tools needed, but lever actions can be tricky to figure out how to put together unless you've done it a couple times.

There's probably someone near you who would be glad to help you out. Personally I enjoy projects like that. If it's only missing a few small pieces, it should be well worth it to you. There's a lot to be said about a good old '94 30-30. :)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top