JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...or do you only clean the bolt face?

I was looking on the internets, and opinions seem to vary. Some say you don't have to take the bolt apart unless you have a punctured primer, while others say any steel cased corrosive ammo requires a thorough takedown and cleaning (including the bolt).

I was considering trying out some brass cased surplus 8mm in my K98k, but I wanted to get an idea how much hassle it was going to be cleaning the rifle afterwards. As a rule, I will generally not shoot corrosive ammo through my antiques, however, the factory loads in 8mm are very disappointing.

Thanks in advance.

I would say it is better to have a clean rifle, regardless of powder type.
Although I have read that some clay shooters say a dirty barrel shoots better, tho I chalk it up to folk lore.

Its a proven fact, clean firearms, work better then dirty ones.
If a firearm sits for any given time moisture sets and rust begins.
Cleaning should be a ritual event, seriously, I have received some nice firearms, that were
pretty old, but looked new, then I have seen near new firearms pitted and rusty.
Besides I may be nuts but I find it kinda fun.:rolleyes:

Yes and no! like @Medic! points out, semi autos, especially those that gas the action would need to be cleaned out good, piston guns prolly not as much, but ether one will need the gas system cleaned out good! I try to avoid corrosive ammo in my semi's for this reason! A buddy of mine shoots this stuff all the time in his piston AR, he also rusted the snot out of both the piston and tube and had to replace them after a pretty low amount of rounds fired, and No, he didn't clean it out like he should, so I give him crap for it!
For bolt guns, your prolly safe to wash it out in soapy water and then dry it out and oil it good. if even that, most bolts run pretty clean, so I wouldn't be too worried about them!

I do have a few acquaintances that shoot steel case ammo but I have never shot it in my guns. I like a clean running gun, that's why I went with pistons.;)
I do not clean my AR every time that I shoot it but I do open it up to check the bolt and chamber. Unless it gets wet then it definitely will get clean and Lubed.

Friends don't let friends shoot corrosive ammo. LOL just my humble opinion.:D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads