JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all!
I am a new member to this group, and hope I picked the correct forum to post this.
We do a loosely organized youth introduction to shooting and firearms for those who don't have the money or opportunity to do it at home. Several of the members have expressed interest in reloading. Other adults (myself included) have reloaded our own for many years. I am a bit hesitant to teach what I know because of how we all tend to do it our own way once comfortable. Is there an easy to understand resource available for this ? Videos are great, but written word would be fantastic for reinforcement. I have looked at YouTube videos and sorting the wheat from the chaff seems to be difficult for me with the vast amount of videos to go through. I have several presses as well as a collection of Lee Loaders (which I learned in) I am looking to work with.
Apologies for the length of the post - any help and advice is welcome!
Thank you!

The NRA has a basic reloading class. I have a friend that taught the class
in Vancouver. He is certified through the NRA as in instructor for the basic reloading class.
Similar to the NRA firearm classes that are offered.
He worked out a deal for reloading manuals and equipment provided by reloading manufacturer's
for little or no cost.;) Hopefully you can find a class in your area.

If you are looking for a step by step guide, I would avoid starting with a LEE Loader Kit. Showing people to seat a primer with a hammer is not going to be a safe way to start.

But Lee's Modern Reloading has a pretty systematic start up procedure . I'll look through some old books that I have But I think Lymans books had a pretty good start up guide also.

My own thought is that for everything you teach I give them a way to check their own work. Just like reversing a math problem. It also gives them confidence that they can check their own work!
DR

Maybe there's a PDF online that you could run some copies of.. especially the basic/s.. to be given for keeps to each attendee..

1. what happens to a cartridge when fired
2. what we must do to a case to reload it and why
3. how to do it

Here's a passel of manuals some guy is pretty much giving away..

WTS OR - Reloading Manuals

Maybe there's a PDF online that you could run some copies of.. especially the basic/s.. to be given for keeps to each attendee..

1. what happens to a cartridge when fired
2. what we must do to a case to reload it and why
3. how to do it

Here's a passel of manuals some guy is pretty much giving away..

WTS OR - Reloading Manuals

+1 on this bunch. The ABC's book and Lyman manual are worth the asking price. Each has an excellent introduction to reloading, and the Lyman 48th has a lot of load data to boot. The others may be good as well, I'm just not familiar with them.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews