JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, the liberals among us basically feel that the second amendment should read ,,,,"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed (Except by police while stopping a citizen)".

I question the right of police or anyone else to deprive me of my rights at any time that I'm not committing any crime. I see no special constitutional right given to police in that regard, and any laws that say otherwise are obviously unconstitutional.

I also maintain that any law that makes possession of a firearm "A crime" worthy of disarming me is also unconstitutional, and this is actually too obvious to even comment on, and only in this context would I even mention it.

So, the liberals among us basically feel that the second amendment should read ,,,,"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed (Except by police while stopping a citizen)".

I question the right of police or anyone else to deprive me of my rights at any time that I'm not committing any crime. I see no special constitutional right given to police in that regard, and any laws that say otherwise are obviously unconstitutional.

I also maintain that any law that makes possession of a firearm "A crime" worthy of disarming me is also unconstitutional, and this is actually too obvious to even comment on, and only in this context would I even mention it.

100%, and i could add quite a bit... but why bother? if these guys have no problem handing their gun to the person their gun is supposed to protect them from, they aren't going to give a flying bubblegum about reality.

no one can take your gun from you, people. you're a lamb if you think handing a cop is just doin your duty or being an upstanding citizen or whatever the hades you think that is. it's not. it's you handing over your God-given right. its you submitting, in the one country where you should never have to submit to any many for any reason, so long as you're minding your own.

and, for the record, in oregon, police do NOT have the authority to confiscate your firearm unless they can articulate a damn good reason why they felt it was NECESSARY. furthermore, you are under no obligation to inform them that you have firearms- you're not under obligation to say a single bubbleguming thing at all.

So, the police don't have a right to safety after stopping someone who is suspected of committing a crime? You know a good way to not get your gun confiscated? Don't put yourself in a position to be confronted by the police.

So, the police don't have a right to safety after stopping someone who is suspected of committing a crime? You know a good way to not get your gun confiscated? Don't put yourself in a position to be confronted by the police.

Ok, I'm wrong, the constitution says only police can be armed. How did I get that wrong?

I'm always wary of how police exercise their powers but I don't think this was unreasonable. The cop has a right to ensure his own safety. He could have cuffed the guy and put him in the back of the cruiser or he could secure the guy's gun temporarily until the stop was completed. I think the cop exercised reasonable judgement here.

I'm always wary of how police exercise their powers but I don't think this was unreasonable. The cop has a right to ensure his own safety. He could have cuffed the guy and put him in the back of the cruiser or he could secure the guy's gun temporarily until the stop was completed. I think the cop exercised reasonable judgement here.

sir, do you not carry a gun? that cop has no more right to "ensure his own safety" by confiscating a non-criminal's gun than i have a right to ensure my safety by confiscating the next cop that pulls me over's gun. neither of you should be giving your sidearms to either of you.

freaken ridiculous.

I'm not a cop-apologist by any stretch but a cop does have the right to ensure his safety in the presence of weapons.

So, someone slipped me a bunch of faulty Bill's of rights over the years. That explains that. The Constitution does not guarantee me the right to keep and bear arms, it guarantees government the right.

I've been lied to!

But seriously, the laws that officers are sworn to uphold begin with the Constitution, and if they defraud me of my rights they are defacto agents of some government other than the government the founders wanted for us. If police love the law they should eschew any anti-constitutional bent in their training, or go to China or Cuba where the State is the power.

Also, if you believe that the police have higher moral character than the average citizen you need to study the matter a bit. Police have a higher than normal statistical probability of domestic violence, of suicide (Self murder) and of many other things most Americans would not choose to do. Not all police! But statistics don't lie. You are no safer having him standing there armed than if it were the other way around, and there are plenty of videos of bad officers shooting or beating unarmed citizens. Think about that next time you get stopped, you may have drawn the loose cannon.

Nope, why would I? I live in Portland, nothing scary in this town.

He actually does. I'm not a cop-apologist by any stretch but a cop does have the right to ensure his safety in the presence of weapons.

everyone has a right to ensure his safety- nobody has a right to infringe somebody else's rights for pseudo-safety. confiscating a law-abiding, CHL carrying citizen's gun, which he's just told you about, does NOTHING to even increase, leave alone ensure anyone's safety. the cop knows that better than anyone else.

You know a good way to not get your gun confiscated? Don't put yourself in a position to be confronted by the police.

The last time I was stopped was just a month ago, the first time in years, and guess what, I hadn't done anything wrong! The officer thought the broken line started past where I tried to get around the 20 MPH below speed behemoth, I told him he was wrong, he never contacted me later to say otherwise which proves I was right. Cops are just people with a rotten job, they make mistakes just like we do. IOW you don't have to do anything to get stopped.

But beings that they are not perfect, why should they get to take my weapon from me? Answer, they shouldn't, for two reasons; 1. The Constitution, 2. The fact that they are at least as likely to be unstable as I am, maybe more.

Even if they were perfect there would still be that pesky BOR thing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top