JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot of different factors. I've only had one item for sale here and it never did sell because not many people have $3K and the desire to get into .50 BMG shooting.

As a buyer it depends on a lot of factors. Is it something I have been looking for? Is the price good (many people want to sell something for very close to retail or more)? I may not want it that much - a few times I waited for the price to go down before buying. A lot of stuff for sale I just don't want.

Right now it is a buyer's market for a lot of this stuff.

For low ticket stuff, like a box of ammo for $20, it just isn't worth it to me to bother with FTF sales - I would just as soon order it online, and usually I want to buy more like 200 rounds than 20.

I've bought through this site but have yet to sell. Wanted a 26" barrel chambered in .223 and found it in a Winchester Model 70VR through the rifle classifieds at a good price and the gun was in great shape. I needed a press to get into reloading and wound up getting a great deal on a rock chucker Supreme with 300WM Brass, Powders and Primers at a SMOKING DEAL! I was on the hunt for a wet tumbler and ended up with a tumbler ame media separator I wanted at a decent price.

All in all, NWF has kept my funds invested in a hobby I'm interested in but lately the reloading components I'm after are getting harder to come by. But if it happens it happens as I'm in no hurry.

Selling has been much slower since the private sale laws were put into play and now it's way more inconvenient.

I've sold more non FFL items here on NWF recently than firearms.

I think that the flood of new models that have come out over the past 5 years at much more accessible pricing has hurt used sales demand. For example, the military's MHS competition has brought so many new and innovative striker fire pistols to the market at new pricing that can be lower than what is available in the used market. So many sub $500 quality pistols now new in box.

One thing I've noticed is a huge amount of those "Watching" on recent auctions, but no bids. Curious.
When I watch quietly from the sidelines it usually means I'm interested, but I consider the gun way overpriced. Much too overpriced for me to make a fair offer, because the owner would probably get pi$$ed, thinking I was low-balling him. (If he was just 10 or 20% too high, I might make an offer. But not if he's 50% or more too high.)

I normally know what the gun has sold for in recent months on gunbroker by using advanced search. For example, a gun I'm interested in now is frequently listed on gunbroker for $1200 or higher. But it never sells at that price. The recent sales have all been at $800 - $900 for excellent condition no box or papers. But the listings are mostly at $1200 up. I think this gives people the impression that's the value. Not when nobody buys at that price it isn't. If the gun shows up on NWFA listed at $1200, I might watch, but won't be buying.

I think a lot of guns at NWFA are listed at the wishful-thinking gunbroker offer prices, not at the completed-sales gunbroker prices. If you are using gunbroker to establish prices, be aware that about 90% of the listed asking prices are 50% or more higher than the prices the guns sell for. If you register you can use advanced search to review all the recent completed transactions and real selling prices.

With the current requirement for all gun sales to go through ffls, it is now a huge hassle to buy a gun or sell if you dont have an ffl. I used to buy a used gun, shoot it for a year or two, then sell it if I had or obtained something that filled the same purposes that I liked better. I could usually sell for close to the sane price I bought for. Now selling is going to take a lot of work. In addition, one reason for buying used guns used to be not wanting official records on guns as a protection against potential future government confiscation. Not workable any more.

Given these factors, I would expect the price of most used guns to drop a couple hundred compared with before. It hasn't happened. I think instead sellers are expecting to get the same or more than they used to. And buyers are on average much less interested in buying used at all, and are not yet being enticed by lower prices. Result: slow sales.

Just an FYI. Those members that keep their profiles locked down so a would-be buyer can't access their postings, (which include WTS/WTB ads), may be doing a disservice to themselves.

Given I don't know the seller's trustworthiness (this or on other selling forums) I buy at stores only.

My question: What can I do to assure myself the seller is honest?

The only useful conclusion I've arrived at is: Send me the item first (yep, you'll have to trust me) and then I'll send you what we agreed on.

I wonder if I'm alone in this approach or if this approach is often employed?

What say any of you buyers/sellers?

Thanks!

Given I don't know the seller's trustworthiness (this or on other selling forums) I buy at stores only.

The only useful conclusion I've arrived at is: Send me the item first (yep, you'll have to trust me) and then I'll send you what we agreed on.

Thanks!

I figure when a gun Broker seller has 99.9% positive reviews and 2000 or more of them, and an FFL, that he's probably serious about providing a good buying experience for the buyer. I've only done ONE through GB. But looking at/for certain arms for awhile you'll see the same names floating around the site.

One of the HUGE advantages (and services) of the NWFA site and community is the member feedback information. Compared to other venues which do not have this capability (armslist.com, et al) it has been an invaluable tool for me. I can check how long a person has been a member, how many transactions they have had feedback for, etc. I am (obviously) more cautious with newer members with very low feedback. But when someone has collected a half-dozen or more positive feedbacks (with no negative), those members have been great to buy and sell with.

I am grateful to the administrators and moderators for their efforts to keep this forum software function operating smoothly.

Thanks!
Has anyone ever sent you the item first? I would sure never send someone a gun first and they pay later.

Normally, the buyer presents cash, the seller gives item. The exception is when you've got a line of credit or they already have your credit card number, and bill you when they ship.

My impression is with most NWFA transactions, the two parties meet at the ffl, giving buyer a chance to examine gun. If cash or money orders or certified checks are used, you aren't risking getting ripped off. All you are risking is that someone wastes your time by not being serious or not showing or trying to renegotiate a deal already made without just cause. That would be irritating enough, but you can examine profiles to evaluate the likelihood of that.

I've sold quite a few on Armslist over the years. My taste change and a sweet looking weapon comes out, reviews are good so to make room, I sell one. Never had any problems. I look at the sellers/buyers history and years on a particular site and figure if they've been a member of 5 or more years without a hiccup, they're prolly good folks.
I've bought several from Bud's of course but find better deals from private sellers. My 2Cents :s0159:

Has anyone ever sent you the item first? I would sure never send someone a gun first and they pay later.

Normally, the buyer presents cash, the seller gives item. The exception is when you've got a line of credit or they already have your credit card number, and bill you when they ship.

My impression is with most NWFA transactions, the two parties meet at the ffl, giving buyer a chance to examine gun. If cash or money orders or certified checks are used, you aren't risking getting ripped off. All you are risking is that someone wastes your time by not being serious or not showing or trying to renegotiate a deal already made without just cause. That would be irritating enough, but you can examine profiles to evaluate the likelihood of that.
I always require state issued ID and a deposit if buying/selling long distance. Never had any issues in 10 years of doing this...;)

The hesitation (I may get the screw, paranoia) in buying from forum listings, shipped, after you pay, that's something that took me time to adjust too at first.
As mentioned, listers time on said site, post count/content, and feedback all help. Not always the case.
I've purchased and/or traded with many members with zero feedback, and very few posts. Some don't like to ship, and/or, they are also new to this form of dealing.
Contact said seller, ask specific questions- expect to get specific response. If anything seems fishy, go with your gut feelings. You have to be comfortable.

I've personally never been duped, however, I have had a few instances dealing with sellers where Real World situations get in the way of their best intentions. Which is/was to ship what was purchased ASAP. Even then, getting all knotted up in the gut, thinking you got shystered, does happen.

All in all, I've had a rewarding experience dealing with 99.9% of said.
Just remember, they-- as like you (us) are in the same fish bowl.

If on a site like GB or similar, best to do the sale through their website and not privately.

ADDED

GUNS = Absolutely -----NO

I've sold guns on Armslist to several. Both meeting up, and by going through an FFL to ship.
After contact with said buyer, relay to them that YOU want THEM to KNOW what they are buying. And vice-versa if you are the buyer.
Tell them to relay to you any and all concerns. Be specific. Ask for high resolution photos, in detail.
Get all the information you can get, as if standing there physically holding and looking at it.
Be 100% confident that what you see - IS what you will get for your money.
If said seller is true, you'll know. If said buyer is true, you'll know that as well.
If both parties are comfortable, there should be no problem sending/receiving full payment prior.
Payment does not need to go through the FFL. I have done US Postal Money Orders and Certified Checks.
Cashed on receipt before giving the FFL a green light to ship.

Be prepared. Have a plan in place before you go through the motions.
Cover all the bases to make the transaction go as smoothly as possible.
If all mentioned are in place, it will come with reward on both parties behalf.

Last Edited:
Thanks everyone, very helpful.

Old Broad,

I'm at fault for not being specific enough.

I'm probably the only one here who doesn't buy guns via the internet.

I'm interested in gear only - no guns, no ammo. I buy that stuff from stores only. My money, my quirks...

I saw an item for sale here yesterday that I'd buy in a heart beat if it was face to face, but buying from someone I don't know, ya gotta send it to me first or forgeddaboudit!

And yes, I understand the philosophy about trust in these transactions.

The buyer is always supposed to trust the seller.

Why can't it be the other way around?

Beats me, but if I'm gonna buy - you the seller will have to trust me.

No?

Okay Dokey

No sale.

I've seen many listings that I would buy- if the seller would ship.
If the seller does not mention in the listing, they will ship, I do not respond. I can read.
I've missed out on MANY due to that.

Thanks!

I have yet to buy a gun "online"/etc. - always FTF so I can examine it and not hassle with shipping/etc.

I have bought a few items like parts/accessories/etc. online and not been disappointed - yet. Sent money first. It has usually been someone here with a good reputation. I don't think I would sell much of anything without getting the money first. I once sold a camera to a person who paid part down and promised to pay the rest on next payday and he ripped me off.:mad:

I saw an item for sale here yesterday that I'd buy in a heart beat if it was face to face, but buying from someone I don't know, ya gotta send it to me first or forgeddaboudit!

If the guy was a noobie, had no feedback and the item was a substantial amount? I'd pass due to the substantial amount, say $50.00 +, and poor communication skills would be a deal killer. But-heck, with being able to read posts and feedback to get a feel for the seller? Ad to that communication via phone/convo here? I'm pretty good at reading people.

Who sells?

Funny question. I've been doing a lot of buying because prices are way cheap for the old guns I like. It is a buyers market for sure and sometimes I wonder why the prices are so low, but if you stand around too long wondering why, someone else is going to snag the deal :D. I used to try to sell one when I bought a new one, but that just hasn't been happening. I actually have 3 on gb right now though. Need to thin out some of the excess and hang on to the best ones... The market will turn around like it always does. Until then, maybe its a good idea to hold on to some of the firearms that you are thinking about selling and wait for a better time. As for the ones on GB, I listed them, just to see what would happen. We will see how that turns out..

When I watch quietly from the sidelines it usually means I'm interested, but I consider the gun way overpriced. Much too overpriced for me to make a fair offer, because the owner would probably get pi$$ed, thinking I was low-balling him. (If he was just 10 or 20% too high, I might make an offer. But not if he's 50% or more too high.)

I normally know what the gun has sold for in recent months on gunbroker by using advanced search. For example, a gun I'm interested in now is frequently listed on gunbroker for $1200 or higher. But it never sells at that price. The recent sales have all been at $800 - $900 for excellent condition no box or papers. But the listings are mostly at $1200 up. I think this gives people the impression that's the value. Not when nobody buys at that price it isn't. If the gun shows up on NWFA listed at $1200, I might watch, but won't be buying.

I think a lot of guns at NWFA are listed at the wishful-thinking gunbroker offer prices, not at the completed-sales gunbroker prices. If you are using gunbroker to establish prices, be aware that about 90% of the listed asking prices are 50% or more higher than the prices the guns sell for. If you register you can use advanced search to review all the recent completed transactions and real selling prices.
That may be true in some cases here, but not always. I see a lot of great deals here. Some are much below what they sell at gb, and they are mostly local, so that is much more convenient. GB is a weird place. Sometimes you will see some guns sell for way more than what you would expect. The market is up and down, you just have to learn what is hot at the moment and go with it. Buy low and well you get the picture...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top