JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i found an interesting look at what the speaker calls "man spaces" and i just thought i would ask if anyone here has a space he thinks others would find interesting. mine is still in the earliest stages considering i just moved into my first house since i was 15 a few months ago, so its more of just an unorganized garage.:s0114:

Last edited by a moderator:
Man cave = an escape from the nagging wife and brats. It can be an empty room and a folding chair. Just as long as the screeching stops.

I am unmarried so my entire domicile is a man cave.

Pinball machine in the living room. Giant projection TV and theater chairs where a dining room would go. That sort of thing. You know, the things a wife typically goads you into getting rid of when it is time for you to 'grow up.'

In one of my other hobbies (collecting vintage stereo equipment and music) its the goal. Some of the Man cave listening rooms guys have put together are amazing.

I have my home office and toy closet along with a 19.5 x 32' shop as my man space in my home.

Man cave = an escape from the nagging wife and brats. It can be an empty room and a folding chair. Just as long as the screeching stops.

Pinball machine in the living room. Giant projection TV and theater chairs where a dining room would go. That sort of thing. You know, the things a wife typically goads you into getting rid of when it is time for you to 'grow up.'

I'm in the same boat. All 280 acres that I own are my "man cave".

I had a man cave in Portland. It is where I kept all of my music stuff from a former life of being a music writer and critic. I also kept the better part of my firearms in there and my loading bench was just outside the "man room"(the man room was a garage. The folks before us sealed the garage door, sheetrocking it on the inside and raised the floor. From the outside, it looked like a garage door.) in the mud room. It was an odd combination, what with my memorabilia of far-left leaning bands that I saw all over this country(why else would I ever have seen Detroit?) surrounded by Elmer Keith books and firearms. In hindsight, it was the end of whatever childhood I was holding on to. What's left of the music stuff is now put away in boxes, remnant's of a drug and alcohol fueled past.

Then we moved to nowhere and in the process, lost 2 bedrooms. Our house is much smaller(that's saying something, as our last house was NOT big.), though we have 6 acres instead of a corner lot in NE Portland. My man cave is now my 18x20 shop and my "rabbit field", which is about an acre and a half that I can view from the ridge at the top of the property, picking off the bunnies(I can shoot on my property. I WIN.). We hope to build a new manufactured home where our old one is. While I would like to have a man cave in that house, in my old age I would trade the cave for log siding.

That music stuff is priceless and deserves better than to be put in boxes. Aside from many "punk" and "indie" bands I am willing to bet that 99% of people on this forum have never heard of(and have no interest in hearing.), I was able to see all 3 surviving members of Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, James Taylor twice, CSN&Y, Jethro Tull, Simon & Garfunkel(brought tears to my eyes), Rush 4 times, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Elvis Costello twice(once with a full band, once just him singing and Steve Nieve on piano. Both were amazing.), Pearl Jam twice and probably more that I have forgotten.

Sorry, Burt, but I must disagree.

Where are all these married men that have pro-created(which rally isn't that bad a thing. If we all stopped doing it, the planet would be a pretty lonely place in about 50 years.) and must hide from their families? Did I just luck out? While the cave wasn't for children, my wife was always welcome, not because she strong-armed me and there would be hell to pay, but because I actually have conversations with my wife, not some sort of Warden-Inmate relationship.

Actually, I did luck out. My wife would LOVE a pinball machine in the house(and she wouldn't care which room).

Before I ended my career as a residential contractor, I had built six dedicated man cave additions.
My specialty was custom movie theater rooms. The best by far was an large addition on the back of a SE Portland home.
The wife got a large master bedroom with walk-in closet and master bath that had a pink marble Jacuzzi tub.

The guy's dream space started out with a sound proof door that opened into a wide hallway. The whole room was sound proofed.
As you turned and entered the very wide hallway, you were then walking into a movie theater lobby, complete with vintage wallpaper, vintage glass framed
movie posters, plush carpet and at the end of the hallway was a glass case that held candy and other treats.
The glass counter top had a soft drink dispenser and a popcorn machine. A gold fringed heavy cloth curtained archway led into the main theater.
The whole room was colored in a dark royal purple. The ceiling was vaulted to allow stair step seating just like a regular movie house.
12 Custom leather recliners that had a perfect view of the 10' wide screen that dropped out of the ceiling.
The custom lighting, Mackintosh sound system and overhead projector were all controlled from a hand held devise.
At the push of a button, the screen would drop, the projector would light up and the wall sconces would dim.
Watching a movie in that room with the best projector and sound system I have ever seen or heard, completely ruins it for you when you go home and turn on a normal tv.

Hmmm....my entire property seems to be turning into a man-cave! On top of the gun/safe/reloading room, I am setting up a speed steel pistol range, as well as clearing out a 150 yard rifle range on my 40 acres with a 1600 ' mountain for a backstop. I sound proofed one side of my garage, and plan to shoot through a 2 x 2 opening out to some gongs and self sealing targets. And the best part is, my wife is all for it!

This is my man cave:

2012-08-22101558.jpg 2013-08-15155621.jpg 2012-08-28160538.jpg Theater10.jpg Theater6.jpg Theater4.jpg Theater15.jpg

The garage. 20'x20' overall, one half is divided between a dedicated gun/reloading room and storage for food and preps. The other half is workspace, soon to have a built-in workbench in one end and foldaway metal working tools along the side. Welding, woodwork, automotive tools, all portable or on foldaway brackets to maximize space and versatility. Compressed air with a large compressor too :cool:

Sorry, Burt, but I must disagree.

Where are all these married men that have pro-created(which rally isn't that bad a thing. If we all stopped doing it, the planet would be a pretty lonely place in about 50 years.) and must hide from their families? Did I just luck out? While the cave wasn't for children, my wife was always welcome, not because she strong-armed me and there would be hell to pay, but because I actually have conversations with my wife, not some sort of Warden-Inmate relationship.

Actually, I did luck out. My wife would LOVE a pinball machine in the house(and she wouldn't care which room).

Don't be so hard on Burt. We all know people who we'd like to take out of the gene pool, Burt just has the common decency to do it himself!

I do get a chuckle out of married men who think they can compete with single guys in the fun/freedom dept. Sorry, just can't be done. No offense intended all in good humor.

Ten minutes ago I was chasing my cat around the house with a mini quad copter. Just could not happen at 10:30pm with a ball and chain around.

I do get a chuckle out of married men who think they can compete with single guys in the fun/freedom dept. Sorry, just can't be done. No offense intended all in good humor.

Ten minutes ago I was chasing my cat around the house with a mini quad copter. Just could not happen at 10:30pm with a ball and chain around.

Many times this week have I scared the cat by flying a helicopter in the living room. My wife was laughing too. It's best to choose wisely :s0155:

And there is nothing more entertaining than an old single guy that thinks fulfillment comes from 12 oz. bottles and gaming systems. Sorry, just can't be done.

Last night I put to bed a 10 year old boy that adores me and thinks I'm Captain America. I then went to my own bed and slept with a wife that has worshipped the ground I walk on since I was 5 years old when she moved in next door. It just could not happen at 10:30 pm without a ball and chain around(actually, she is the one that likes to chase the cat around and get a good laugh in the middle of the night.).

And no offense and all in good humor. ;)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top