JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After a day of shooting my heavy weight, much larger in size and weight CF caliber handguns at Deer Creek aka WMF&GA - I decided to shoot my former, sweet shooting, Smith and Wesson Model 317 Kit Gun. Late 90's d/a revolver (22lr) - J frame bought NIB back east. It had a nice front sight on it not the UGLY piece of CRAP green sight (HI VIZ) that they put on them now!

I shot the gongs at 150 feet using my Late 90's Model 317 Kit Gun with a 3 inch barrel 8 out of 8 times twice before I stopped for a cup of coffee. I reloaded fairly fast for being tired and hot on a summer day too. And I used my standard bulk box of Federal HP ammunition that some people complain about but I never had problems with it in ANY of my guns. That goes for my husband's guns too.

I prefer perp aka silhouette paper targets and round targets but I like small metal reactive targets and gongs too. I like paper plate shooting too. LOL

I like to see heavier gongs get shot and move/swing in the AIR while you keep shooting at them too!

(I liked/like Federal HP and Federal Auto Match bulk packs even though I have used, liked and LIKE some other RF ammo including CCI too. We mainly use and stock Federal 22lr ammunition now.)

ADDED more:

I hate bench rest shooting using a handgun or a rifle and have tried it a few times.

I have shot standing up, prone - lying down and sitting down without leaning on jack squat. I have tried shooting standing up and leaning against something too.

I always shoot standing up and not leaning against any thing if that is what you call OFF HAND. My husband says that is off hand - how I shoot. I just asked him since he is up and next to me now.

I shoot BETTER that way (OFF hand.) than any other way which some people don't understand but I do shoot better doing that. I learned to shoot that way from the gitgo when I started to LEARN how to shoot and I kept shooting that way in ALL of my self defense shooting, some competition and in general plinking. ANY other type of shooting is foreign to ME and I do NOT shoot as well trying other ways as I do as walking up to the LINE off hand or practicing any type of target shooting in a self defense drill going from target to target.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
Don't know if these count, but...

Two stories, one of mine and one I witnessed.

When I was in my mid twenties, living on the Central Coast of Calif., my best friend and I were out tooling around in my dad's '67 Mustang on the back roads outside of town. On this particular day I had with me a Crosman CO2 pellet revolver (the Colt Python replica) and we'd take pot shots at ground squirrels, birds on fences, cans, rocks, bottles, whatever. Not meaning any harm, and not causing any to speak of, just out having fun on a nice sunny day.

As I was driving I saw a larger bird sitting on a wire on the left side of the road. I had the window down already and as I drove by at 30-35 mph, I picked up the Crosman with my right hand, pointed it out the window under my left arm and fired blind in the air just as I thought we were passing the bird.

I looked in the side view mirror and, Son of a... I saw the bird falling to the ground. Neither of us could believe that I'd actually hit the silly thing, but we turned around and sure enough there it was, nice little .177 hole in its chest. To this day I have no idea how I made that shot. Absolutely pure blind luck, no skill at all (well, maybe a little :D).

Several years later I was out hunting with another friend in/near the Santa Margarita Wilderness area. We both had our brand new 10" Stainless Ruger MkII pistols (less than 100 rounds through either of them at the time) and were looking for rabbits and/or squirrels to shoot. I was driving along kinda slow when a squirrel ran out into the road about 15 yards in front of us and before I had a chance to do anything, my friend pulled a shot like mine above. Blind shot out the window not expecting to hit anything (except possibly the hood of my then-new Ranger pickup!) and he scored a head shot. We had a nice laugh about that one for awhile.

There may have been others, but those are the ones I remember most vividly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top